Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book

Christopher Berg

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

>Dear lutenetters!
>
>I am looking for a source of Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book, preferably
>as a facsimile edition. Can anybody help me?
>Thank You
>Hermann Platzer(Vienna, Europe)

Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book MU.MS. 689 is not available in a
facsimile edition. You can write the Fitzwilliam Museum and purchase a
microfilm or photographs:

Margaret Clarke
Senior Assistant, Department of Manuscripts and Printed Books
Fitzwilliam Museum
Trumpington St.
Cambridge, UK CB2 1RB

The Lute Society of America also has a microfilm of the manuscript
available through their library but I found that copy difficult to read.

Christopher Berg

Arthur Ness

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Chrispher Berg wrote:

facsimile edition. You can write the Fitzwilliam Museum and purchase a microfilm
or photographs:

Books Fitzwilliam Museum Trumpington St. Cambridge, UK CB2 1RB

through their library but I found that copy difficult to read.<<<<<

And indeed there is no facsimile. The Fitzwilliam Museum would not permit one
to be made, which is unusual for a library. It is a manuscript truely worthy of
a facsimile edition because of its unusual contents.

Works by Cuthbert Hely have appeared in a tablature and transcription (2-staves)
publ. by the Lute Soc. (UK), and I've heard rumors that one of our enterprising
lute publishers has a tablature edition of the manuscript now underway.

Paul O'Dette has a nice CD _Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book_. Hamonia Mundi
(HMU 907068). On the cover is Lord Herbert in "La Serenissima" pose (but fully
clothed.<g>) I've wondered if that was an in-joke between Paul and Jakob
Lindberg.

Arthur Ness (Boston).