Lute as a Marching Instrument

Michael Clasen

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

Friday, December 20, 1996
5:47 AM
Two weeks ago I played my final of three playing assignements at the local
mall. For three hours on two previous days I marched among the mall in
Walnut Creek California playing pieces I had memorized, fielding the
obvious questions:
NO this is not a:
"Mandolin"
"Lyre"
"Guitar"
"Ude"
"Bandora"
It is a Renaissance Lute.

The first two occasions were in September when the air was warm and balmy,
and they were daytime events for a festival of art at the mall. I would
wander around, bestrapped by lute and play the pieces I have memorized. In
a little alcove, when it was quiet, the magic would happen and the music
would be heard and the lute made known to modern people.

This last performance was a little different. It was colder than a popsicle
in the back of the freezer. California Cold that is, in the 40's. Cold
enough so that I would have to wander into stores to warm my fingers up
enough to be able to finger strings. The greatest moment was when they had
the parade of floats down the little street which wound between the stores
of the OUTDOOR all. I was paired with Shakes the Clown who was taking fake
photos of the crowd and then holding up a large photograph of a crowd of
clowns standing at the edge of the parade. It was funny. Guess you had to
be there.

Me and Shakes marched down between the crowds after the sleigh with Santa
and Real reindeers (Poor guys, they were terrified) which followed a pack
of trained dogs all pulling sleds, wagons and the like, all decorated with
Christmas foo foo. Luckily there was nothing to side step from these
previous ensembles.

Considering the crowd and the noise. I could not be heard. Just as well as
I could hardly feel my fingers from waiting outside for the parade to
assemble. Dressed in Renaissance gear I realized I was merely a Christmas
Card for people to see. No one in the parade really heard the music so I
was just a costumed performer. I could have played Led Zepplin or old Neil
Young songs. I did sneak in some blues riffs once and a while for fun.
Well at least the lute was seen at this point, another small step for
evangelism of the lyre, mandolin, I mean LUTE.
Paid well, they pay extra for the costume.
That's all for now, happy holidaze and to all a good pluck.

Michael A Clasen
mcl...@aimnet.com
"Think Lute Globally, Play Lute locally..."