[ABC/Disney gay advocates...] 'Undemocratic': Tennessee legislature expels 2 lawmakers over gun violence protest

Leroy N. Soetoro

Apr 8, 2023, 4:39:24 PM4/8/23
Clue: Deal with transgender mental illness as there will certainly be
more of this. Blame the operator, not the gun.

<https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tennessee-expulsion-vote-state-house-
oust-democratic-lawmakers/story?id=98402653>

Two Democratic lawmakers have been ousted from the Republican-controlled
Tennessee state House of Representatives and one was allowed to stay in
what marks the first partisan expulsion in the state's modern history.

The three lawmakers -- State Reps. Justin Jones and Justin J. Pearson, who
were expelled, and Rep. Gloria Johnson -- faced separate expulsion
hearings Thursday for allegedly violating the chamber's rules of decorum
by participating in a gun control protest at the state Capitol last week.

At one point during the protest, the trio stood at the well of the House
chambers, leading chants with a megaphone. The demonstration came in the
wake of the deadly Covenant School shooting in Nashville on March 27,
where a former student fatally shot three children and three adults,
police have said.

Days later, Tennessee Republican Reps. Bud Hulsey, Gino Bulso and Andrew
Farmer sponsored the expulsion resolutions, arguing the three Democratic
lawmakers "did knowingly and intentionally bring disorder and dishonor to
the House of Representatives through their individual and collective
actions."

Jones, the first lawmaker expelled when House members voted to adopt HR65
Thursday, called the resolution "a spectacle" and "a lynch mob assembled
to not lynch me, but our democratic process."

"We called for you all to ban assault weapons and you respond with an
assault on democracy," Jones said during his 20-minute opening statement.

Following the adoption of the expulsion resolution, Jones said his ouster
set a "precedent that any member who voices dissent or opposition can be
expelled from the legislative body."

"Today is a very dangerous day for America," he said in a hallway
interview after the vote.

Pearson, who sang "Power to the People" and quoted from the Bible during
his opening statement, called the resolution to remove him an "injustice
against the First Amendment."

"Speaking up on behalf of the last, the lost, the least, those who've been
left out, those who've been ignored, those who've been silenced but refuse
to be silent anymore, that does not deserve expulsion from this House," he
said before he was expelled from the chamber Thursday evening.

During her hearing, Johnson, the sole lawmaker to survive the expulsion
resolutions, denied allegations that she "shouted" from the well during
the demonstration last week. But she maintained that she joined the
protest, breaching House decorum, in a needed effort to stir "good
trouble."

"My friends in school all called me 'Little Miss Law and Order' because
I'm a rule-follower, and I know that rules sometimes have to be broken and
sometimes you have to get in good trouble," she said.

"I may have broken a rule, but the words in this document are false and I
did what I was compelled to do based on speaking for the voters in my
district who were begging me to bring this issue forward," she later
added, gesturing at HR64, which would have expelled her from the
legislative body.

Following the votes, Republican Speaker Cameron Sexton, who previously
accused the trio of attempting to incite an insurrection, said he
personally voted for all three Democratic members to be expelled.

"I think what you heard on the House floor today is that those members
took away the voice of this chamber for 45 minutes when they were on the
House floor, leading the protest to those and disrupting the business that
we were doing," he said in an interview with NewsNation. "What I will say
is there are consequences for action."

The three Republican lawmakers who introduced the expulsion resolutions,
Hulsey, Bulso and Farmer, did not immediately respond to ABC News' request
for comment.

Earlier in the Thursday session, the legislature passed HB322, a bill that
requires schools to implement a number of safety plans and security
systems, including requiring locked doors and active shooter training for
school security guards, over the objections of the three members who faced
expulsion.

"This bill is not about school safety," Jones said, adding the move to
"make our schools militarized zones" is borne out of refusal "to address
the real issue, which is easy access to military grade weapons."

Johnson, a former teacher, decried the possibility of "gun battles at our
schoolhouse door," while Pearson argued that "the root cause that each of
us have to address is this gun violence epidemic."

"We don't need a solution that says if you don't lock a door or get
someone with a gun, we need a solution that says people shouldn't be going
to schools and to houses and to neighborhoods with weapons of war,"
Pearson added.

President Joe Biden said in a statement that the move to oust the
lawmakers was "shocking, undemocratic, and without precedent," arguing
Republicans in Tennessee were focused on punishing lawmakers who "stood in
solidarity with students and families and helped lift their voices" rather
than pushing for gun control reforms.

"This nation was built on peaceful protest. No elected official should
lose their job simply for raising their voice – especially when they’re
doing it on behalf of our children," said former President Barack Obama on
Twitter Thursday night. "What happened in Tennessee is the latest example
of a broader erosion of civility and democratic norms. Silencing those who
disagree with us is a sign of weakness, not strength, and it won’t lead to
progress."

Since the Civil War, the Tennessee state House has voted only twice to
expel a member.

But the effort to expel the three Tennessee lawmakers is one of several
recent moves by state legislatures to penalize lawmakers of
underrepresented backgrounds taking a stand on progressive causes.

For example, Oklahoma Republicans removed the state’s only nonbinary
legislator from House committees after the lawmaker provided refuge to a
transgender rights activist.

As of Thursday, the trio of Democratic lawmakers said they have already
lost ID access to the state Capitol and been stripped of any committee
assignments.

But Pearson and Jones, flanked by their fellow Democratic lawmakers as
they heard the results of their expulsion votes, said they remain
undeterred in fighting for their constituents.

"We're gonna keep fighting for people in Nashville and Memphis, across the
state of Tennessee and across the United States of America who want
justice. We deserve it. This is our birthright. Our inheritance is not
just some pieces of paper and constitutions and rules," Pearson said in a
hallway interview following his expulsion. "It is the advocacy and the
ability to protest for what is right and to create laws and to advocate
for laws that make justice more possible."

Jones addressed his Republican colleagues directly during his hearing.

"My prayer to you, is that even if you expel me that you still act to
address the crisis of mass shootings because if I'm expelled from here,
I'll be back out there with the people, every week, demanding that you
act," he said.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Siri Cruise

Apr 8, 2023, 4:47:03 PM4/8/23
Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> Clue: Deal with transgender mental illness as there will certainly be
> more of this. Blame the operator, not the gun.

> The three lawmakers -- State Reps. Justin Jones and Justin J. Pearson, who

Are they transgender? Or rednecks clutching their penis metaphors?

--
Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. @
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\