Norwich Community Bees

JC

Apr 17, 2011, 4:14:13 PM4/17/11
to Transition Norwich Economy and Business Theme Group
Hi All

At the recent Spring Scheming we proposed setting up a Norwich
Community Beekeeping scheme modelled on the one run by Sustainable
Bungay (http://www.sustainablebungay.com)

Bees are big news at the moment due to their importance as
pollinators, with the likes of the Coop launching the second phase of
their Plan Bee to support pollinating insects in the UK. I believe
beekeeping is also in tune with the aspirations of the Norwich
FarmShare scheme and one of the options we've discussed is to host the
hives at the FarmShare site.

June is the key time for establishing a new hive, so I'm keen to see
what kind of interest there would be in supporting such a venture.
Details depend on the amount of support, but I expect it will be
similar to Bungay in that members would pay a set amount per year in
return for a share of the honey and wax, as well as, and perhaps most
importantly, having the opportunity to look after the bees
themselves. I've already had some interest, and the Bungay beekeepers
have offered me their experience in setting up the scheme.

I've put some details on the TN blog: http://transitionnorwich.blogspot.com/2011/04/spring-scheming.html

I'm really excited at the prospect of setting up this community
scheme, and I think it would be great fun too! If you would like to
be part of Norwich's Community Bee, or would like to know more, let me
know.

many thanks