Economic development in Norwich

Simeon Jackson

Sep 27, 2011, 11:09:16 AM9/27/11
to tn-ec...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I know that some of you don't subscribe to the Transition Norwich Blog (This Low Carbon Life), so I have attached my latest post below, which is about tackling the economic challenges that we face in Norwich.

I most notably talk about a project which I'm working on at the moment, and hope to build a social enterprise out of.  At the moment, I'm looking for support for my ideas, whether its just an email back saying "yeah, sounds like a good idea" to something more proactive, I'd really love to hear from you.  And if you have an interest in the development of the St. Augustines Street area of Norwich, please click the link at the bottom to help choose a date for a visioning session which will help to progress real action!

Because I don't yet have a regular income, I'm afraid that I cannot organise events for the economics and livelihoods group without them in some way progressing my chances of a career, so I won't be organising general economics meetings or sessions from now on, but if someone else would like to organise something, I'd love to attend, and can give any pointers (possible venues, films, speakers etc.) if you need them!

Simeon

How does Norwich face "the economic equivalent of war"?
September 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Business Secretary Vince Cable said yesterday in a speech at the Liberal Democrat Conference that "we now face a crisis that is the economic equivalent of war". This kind of harsh analogy does not come as a surprise to me or, I would bet, to many of you. We have known for years that we cannot go back to "business as usual" and are aware that the financial crisis "never went away", but has only been hidden by bureaucrats and statisticians.

But in Norwich, business has gone on as usual over the past few months and years. The problem, as those who met at the last Economics and Livelihoods meeting established, is that business as usual for Norwich includes higher than average unemployment, underdeveloped regions of the city, and loss of many of our industries to faraway countries, or, at best, other UK cities, as well as fragmented communities. Such a business as usual cannot continue. It is not sustainable!

Over the past few months, I have been doing some research into what sorts of action might be possible in Norwich to change this trend - how we can simultaneously stimulate the local economy, create jobs, and develop the most underdeveloped regions of our city into thriving communities. With inspiration from the Transition Network Conference and the success of projects in other parts of the country, an idea for the development of this programme is beginning to form in my mind.

In the spirit of collaborative community, we, as responsible citizens, must step in and drive forward our interests, rather than rely on the initiative of government to act on our behalf. In their current spirit of cuts, they just will not do it. The inspiration for this project instead comes from Eldonian Group, of Liverpool and Sustaining Dunbar, both of which I heard about at the Transition Conference. Both are social enterprises which strive to develop towards a more sustainable future and this includes ensuring that any projects that come out of it are financially sustainable too, bringing in a return for their local community.

It is essential, in my view, that any development, as well as being economically sustainable in itself, should raise the value of the community in general (in terms of well-being, as well as economically), and should pay its contributors fairly for any work done to achieve this.

Step one of this development process to improve our city is visioning. We need to construct a shared vision of what personality and feel we want an area to have, and then can start looking at the specific actions that might bring this vision about.

Although several areas of the city have been identified as in need of development, the first that I intend to target with this project is the region of St Augustines Street, just North of the centre, where the new "gyratory" (one-way system) has paved the way (quite literally in this case!) for further development.

As distinguished readers of This Low Carbon Life, I am offering you the chance to help set the date for this visioning session, which will take place on the streets in and around St. Augustines. Even if you are not a resident of the specific region, it may well be worth attending to see how the model works and to think about possible developments in your own area. Please fill in this poll to let us know which days are good for you, and then keep an eye on the Transition News site for the actual date, or ask me to keep you updated, or just for more information.

Images: Vince Cable speaking at the Liberal Democrat Conference 2011 by Liberal Democrats; St Augustines Street during construction of the gyratory, by Evelyn Simak.
Media Files
6162845238_0443e1e212.jpg (JPEG Image)

This email was sent to sim...@simeonjackson.co.uk.
Delivered by Feed My Inbox