TMSU v0.6.0 released

Paul Ruane

Nov 25, 2015, 3:47:03 PM11/25/15
to m...@tmsu.org
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the release of TMSU v0.6.0. I keep meaning to
make these releases smaller and more frequent but, alas.

Anyhow, the most significant changes in this release are:

1. Relaxation of the tag and value name restrictions.

This effectively means you can now use most all characters in tag and
value names (with the notable exception of slashes). If you do decide
to use spaces and equals signs then there will be a fair amount of
escaping involved but it is, at least, now possible. In response to an
issue raised I'm looking at allowing slashes too but there are some
problems with these at the virtual filesystem level so we'll see.

2. Tag value 'housekeeping' removed

Previously TMSU would delete any tag values that are unused. The
reason it did this is that values were seen as a secondary concern
(the main deal being tags) and I didn't want to create a load of
subcommands for managing values. However the housekeeping was getting
more and more complicated and actually had some performance
implications too so it's gone: you now have to clean up the values
yourself. To help you do this many of the subcommands have been
expanded with --value options so you can now delete, rename and merge
these as you could tags.

3. Deprecation of the 'default' database

TMSU no longer creates you a default database on first use. It used to
do this to make it easier for new users to get stuck in but in doing
so caused a lot of confusion, especially around relative/absolute
paths. Now you need to 'init' a local new database. You can run the
new 'info' subcommand to see which database you're using. (The 'stats'
subcommand has been rolled into 'info' too as a --stats option.)

4. Destructive scripts

There have been repeated requests for commands that actually change
the filesystem and I have resisted the temptation to add them as I
like the fact that TMSU is non-destructive. There is a certain zen
aspect to knowing that a command is impotent: not matter how much you
screw it up your files will be safe, so I have never wanted to add
options to allow files to be moved on disk and the TMSU database
updated in one hit. However there is also a lot of demand for this
functionality so the compromise I came up with is to bundle the
appropriate scripts. These scripts can be found in the misc/bin
directory.

5. Values in implications

The tag implications have been expanded to allow values to be included
in either side of the implication. You can now have 'country=spain'
imply 'vacation', for example, or 'music' imply 'type=mp3'.

Thanks for reading, Let me know if you find any bugs.

Paul.
http://tmsu.org