TMSU 0.5.0 released

Paul Ruane

Feb 8, 2015, 5:29:01 PM2/8/15
to tm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the release of TMSU 0.5.0.

This release fixes a number of bugs, improves the usability of a number of commands and introduces a few new features. It's also the first release with a Windows binary, albeit without virtual filesystem support (it's planned though).

Probably the most significant new feature is support for local databases (see Issue #15). This allows you to create a TMSU database at a particular point in your filesystem and have TMSU automatically use it whenever your working directory is under that point. Here's an example:

    $ tmsu tags
    apple banana
    $ cd photos
    $ tmsu init
    $ tmsu tag photo1.jpg country=france holiday family
    $ tmsu tags
    country  family  holiday
    $ cd ..
    $ tmsu tags
    apples banana

Here we can see that after we run 'tmsu init' under the 'photos' directory we have a new database, called 'photos/.tmsu/db, created specific to the 'photos' directory. All the time the working directory is under 'photos' TMSU will automatically use it instead of the default database.

Along with this change is a switch to relative paths which means file paths are now stored relative to the database location. These two changes make TMSU databases much more portable. You can now copy a directory containing files and a TMSU database onto a flash disk, for example, and it will still work no matter where it is mounted. The switch to relative paths also results in much smaller database sizes. To convert your database to relative paths, issue the following repair:

    $ tmsu repair --manual / /

There are a number of new subcommands to plug a few holes:
  • init will create a local database at the current working directory.
  • config makes it much easier to adjust settings, including the fingerprint algorithm and whether tags and values are automatically created.
  • untagged allows you to identify files in the working directory that are not yet tagged
There are a large number of other changes and fixes so please see the README for an overview or the commit history for full detail.

Let me know if you hit any issues!

(Note that I plan to release a bit more regularly in the coming months so please don't fret if you requested a feature that did not make 0.5.0.)

Thanks,
Paul