iPhone Saved Woman’s Life During Las Vegas Shooting

The Mac Observer Express

Oct 5, 2017, 6:30:06 PM10/5/17
to tmo-e...@googlegroups.com
The Mac Observer Daily Headlines e-mail. Visit The Mac Observer at <https://www.macobserver.com/> -- You'll get your Mac news here from now on...
--------------------
Visit The Apple Store for great deals on new and refurbished Macs. Remember, even the refurbs come with a full warranty in almost all cases!
<https://j.mp/AppleStoreDeals>
--------------------
Headlines at The Mac Observer for Thursday, October 5, 2017
<https://www.macobserver.com/>

1. iPhone Saved Woman’s Life During Las Vegas Shooting
2. ZeroLemon JuiceBox 20100mAh USB Type-C Portable Charger: $64.99
3. Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update to Address Security Flaws, Bugs
4. Customizing the iOS 11 Control Center
5. Sphero Adds R2-Q5 Imperial Droid to Spy on the Other Sphero Star Wars Droids
6. Watch the Apple Music Trailer for ‘Bang! The Bert Berns Story’
7. Sonos One, Streaming Music, AirPlay 2 – TMO Daily Observations 2017-10-05
8. [Update] macOS High Sierra Has an APFS Password Vulnerability
9. Tim Cook Remembers Steve Jobs with a Great Photo and Poignant Quote
10. Here’s How to Block Cross-site Tracking in Safari
11. Apple Music with Sonos, Alexa, and AirPlay 2
12. iOS 11: How to Type to Siri
13. Set Up Third-Party Drivers and Unsigned Apps in macOS, Plus Ports in FreeBSD – Terminal Tinkering 5
14. iOS 11: How to Manage the App Drawer in the Messages App
----------
Join our Mac Geek Gab Facebook Group to get your questions answered and chat with other listeners!
<https://www.macgeekgab.com/facebook>
----------
1. IPHONE SAVED WOMAN’S LIFE DURING LAS VEGAS SHOOTING
As the story goes, the unnamed woman fled the scene in a taxi, when she found her iPhone 7 Plus with a bullet hole in it.
<https://www.macobserver.com/news/iphone-saved-womans-life-las-vegas-shooting/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

2. ZEROLEMON JUICEBOX 20100MAH USB TYPE-C PORTABLE CHARGER: $64.99
We have a deal on the ZeroLemon JuiceBox 20100mAh USB Type-C Portable Charger. This beast can charge all of your devices, including iPhones, iPads, and even USB-C MacBook models. You can charge it with a USB-C cable, or buy an optional standalone charger. It’s $64.99 through our deal.
<https://www.macobserver.com/link/zerolemon-juicebox-20100mah-usb-type-c-portable-charger-64-99/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

3. APPLE RELEASES MACOS HIGH SIERRA 10.13 SUPPLEMENTAL UPDATE TO ADDRESS SECURITY FLAWS, BUGS
The update fixes two important security flaws, one of which was just recently publicized and three relatively minor bugs in macOS High Sierra.
<https://www.macobserver.com/news/apple-releases-macos-high-sierra-10-13-supplemental-update-address-security-flaw-bugs/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

4. CUSTOMIZING THE IOS 11 CONTROL CENTER
This is probably one of Jeff Butts’s favorite new features in iOS 11, since it lets him set up Control Center exactly the way that best suits how he uses his iPhone.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/customizing-the-ios-11-control-center/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

5. SPHERO ADDS R2-Q5 IMPERIAL DROID TO SPY ON THE OTHER SPHERO STAR WARS DROIDS
Don’t look now, driods, but Sphero has a new model come to spy on your. It’s R2-Q5, an imperial droid in the service of Emperor Palpatine, and it’s enough to send you scurrying for an oil bath! Part of Sphero’s amazing app-enabled droid product line, R2-Q5 is the 4th droid to be unleashed, and he serves as a sort of mirror to the company’s amazing R2-D2. The company said it features emotive waddles, a rotating dome, and bipod or tripod stances. As with the other models, you control R2-Q5 through your iPhone (or Android, if that’s your thing). While different from the R2 models, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my BB-8 unit from Sphero, and I think these R2 units are just amazeballs. It’s $199.99, and initially available through Best Buy.

https://www.sphero.com/images/videos/r2q5-features-video.mp4
<https://www.macobserver.com/cool-stuff-found/sphero-r2-q5-imperial-droid/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

6. WATCH THE APPLE MUSIC TRAILER FOR ‘BANG! THE BERT BERNS STORY’
Apple Music is premiering Bang! The Bert Berns Story on October 24th. Bert Berns is one of the biggest names in music most of us have never heard. He was a record producer and songwriter, writing or cowriting songs such as “Twist and Shout,” “Piece of My Heart,” “Under the Boardwalk,” “I Want Candy,” and one of my 60s favs, “Hang on Sloopy.” There are many more, and he was one of those behind-the-scenes people who had a huge impact on rock and R&B as those musical forms emerged in the 1960s. Oh, and he was apparently involved with the mob, something I didn’t know. The documentary is being narrated by Steven Van Zandt with lots of historical footage and interviews with artists he worked with or recorded his music. Even Dobby has something to say. Or maybe that’s Keith Richards. Hard to tell any more. In any event, I can’t wait to watch it.
<https://www.macobserver.com/cool-stuff-found/watch-apple-music-trailer-bang-bert-berns-story/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

7. SONOS ONE, STREAMING MUSIC, AIRPLAY 2 – TMO DAILY OBSERVATIONS 2017-10-05
Bryan Chaffin and Dave Hamilton join Jeff Gamet to talk about the new Sonos One, HomePod, AirPlay 2, Alexa, streaming music, and more.
<https://www.macobserver.com/podcasts/sonos-one-airplay-2-tmo-daily-observations-2017-10-05/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

8. [UPDATE] MACOS HIGH SIERRA HAS AN APFS PASSWORD VULNERABILITY
This has already reported it to Apple, so we can expect a fix in the next update or so. Still, it’s weird that a vulnerability like this slipped through the cracks.
<https://www.macobserver.com/news/macos-high-sierra-apfs-password-vulnerability/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

9. TIM COOK REMEMBERS STEVE JOBS WITH A GREAT PHOTO AND POIGNANT QUOTE
The photo is of a young Steve Jobs—I’d guess mid or late 80s—and the quote is one of those foundational concepts that drove Mr. Jobs.
<https://www.macobserver.com/columns-opinions/editorial/tim-cook-steve-jobs-photo-quote/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

10. HERE’S HOW TO BLOCK CROSS-SITE TRACKING IN SAFARI
Apple promised a way to block websites from cross-site tracking in Safari in macOS High Sierra and iOS 11. Here’s how to see if it’s enabled.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/block-cross-site-tracking-safari/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

11. APPLE MUSIC WITH SONOS, ALEXA, AND AIRPLAY 2
Sonos’s new Alexa support doesn’t offer full control for Apple Music, but next year’s AirPlay 2 integration might just provide Apple Music subscribers full voice-control of their Sonos sytems.
<https://www.macobserver.com/analysis/apple-music-sonos-alexa-airplay-2/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

12. IOS 11: HOW TO TYPE TO SIRI
iOS 11 lets you type to Siri instead of speak, which is handy if you don’t want to disturb everyone around you by talking to the iPhone super computer in your pocket.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/ios-11-type-to-siri/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

13. SET UP THIRD-PARTY DRIVERS AND UNSIGNED APPS IN MACOS, PLUS PORTS IN FREEBSD – TERMINAL TINKERING 5
It’s time for another episode of Terminal Tinkering, and this week Jeff Butts takes you on a tour of the dark and mysterious roads of third-party drivers for Hackintosh, unsigned apps for macOS, and the Ports Collection in FreeBSD.
<https://www.macobserver.com/podcasts/set-third-party-drivers-unsigned-apps-macos-plus-ports-freebsd-terminal-tinkering-5/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>

14. IOS 11: HOW TO MANAGE THE APP DRAWER IN THE MESSAGES APP
iOS 11 introduces a handy drawer of apps that can integrate their data into the Messages app itself.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/ios-11-manage-app-drawer-in-messages/?utm_source=tmo-express&utm_medium=email>