Weekly TMLR digest for Jun 05, 2022

TMLR

Jun 4, 2022, 8:00:08 PMJun 4
to tmlr-annou...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: Boosting Search Engines with Interactive Agents

Authors: Massimiliano Ciaramita, Leonard Adolphs, Michelle Chen Huebscher, Sascha Rothe, Christian Buck, Thomas Hofmann, Yannic Kilcher, Lasse Espeholt, Pier Giuseppe Sessa, Lierni Sestorain, Benjamin Börschinger

Abstract: This paper presents first successful steps in designing search agents that learn meta-strategies for iterative query refinement in information-seeking tasks. Our approach uses machine reading to guide the selection of refinement terms from aggregated search results.
Agents are then empowered with simple but effective search operators to exert fine-grained and transparent control over queries and search results. We develop a novel way of generating synthetic search sessions, which leverages the power of transformer-based language models through (self-)supervised learning. We also present a reinforcement learning agent with dynamically constrained actions that learns interactive search strategies from scratch. Our search agents obtain retrieval and answer quality performance comparable to recent neural methods, using only a traditional term-based BM25 ranking function and interpretable discrete reranking and filtering actions.

---

Title: Queried Unlabeled Data Improves and Robustifies Class-Incremental Learning

Authors: Tianlong Chen, Sijia Liu, Shiyu Chang, Lisa Amini, Zhangyang Wang

Abstract: Class-incremental learning (CIL) suffers from the notorious dilemma between learning newly added classes and preserving previously learned class knowledge. That catastrophic forgetting issue could be mitigated by storing historical data for replay, which yet would cause memory overheads as well as imbalanced prediction updates. To address this dilemma, we propose to leverage "free" external unlabeled data querying in continual learning. We first present a CIL with Queried Unlabeled Data (CIL-QUD) scheme, where we only store a handful of past training samples as anchors and use them to query relevant unlabeled examples each time. Along with new and past stored data, the queried unlabeled are effectively utilized, through learning-without-forgetting (LwF) regularizers and class-balance training. Besides preserving model generalization over past and current tasks, we next study the problem of adversarial robustness for CIL-QUD.
Inspired by the recent success of learning robust models with unlabeled data, we explore a new robustness-aware CIL setting, where the learned adversarial robustness has to resist forgetting and be transferred as new tasks come in continually. While existing options easily fail, we show queried unlabeled data can continue to benefit, and seamlessly extend CIL-QUD into its robustified versions, RCIL-QUD. Extensive experiments demonstrate that CIL-QUD achieves substantial accuracy gains on CIFAR-10 and CIFAR-100, compared to previous state-of-the-art CIL approaches. Moreover, RCIL-QUD establishes the first strong milestone for robustness-aware CIL. Codes are available in https://github.com/VITA-Group/CIL-QUD.

---

Title: Greedy Bayesian Posterior Approximation with Deep Ensembles

Authors: Aleksei Tiulpin, Matthew B. Blaschko

Abstract: Ensembles of independently trained neural networks are a state-of-the-art approach to estimate predictive uncertainty in Deep Learning, and can be interpreted as an approximation of the posterior distribution via a mixture of delta functions. The training of ensembles relies on non-convexity of the loss landscape and random initialization of their individual members, making the resulting posterior approximation uncontrolled. This paper proposes a novel and principled method to tackle this limitation, minimizing an $f$-divergence between the true posterior and a kernel density estimator (KDE) in a function space. We analyze this objective from a combinatorial point of view, and show that it is submodular with respect to mixture components for any $f$. Subsequently, we consider the problem of greedy ensemble construction. From the marginal gain on the negative $f$-divergence, which quantifies an improvement in posterior approximation yielded by adding a new component into the KDE, we derive a novel diversity term for ensemble methods. The performance of our approach is demonstrated on computer vision out-of-distribution detection benchmarks in a range of architectures trained on multiple datasets. The source code of our method is made publicly available at https://github.com/Oulu-IMEDS/greedy_ensembles_training.

---

Title: How to train your ViT? Data, Augmentation, and Regularization in Vision Transformers

Authors: Andreas Peter Steiner, Alexander Kolesnikov, Xiaohua Zhai, Ross Wightman, Jakob Uszkoreit, Lucas Beyer

Abstract: Vision Transformers (ViT) have been shown to attain highly competitive performance for a wide range of vision applications, such as image classification, object detection and semantic image segmentation. In comparison to convolutional neural networks, the Vision Transformer's weaker inductive bias is generally found to cause an increased reliance on model regularization or data augmentation (``AugReg'' for short) when training on smaller training datasets. We conduct a systematic empirical study in order to better understand the interplay between the amount of training data, AugReg, model size and compute budget. As one result of this study we find that the combination of increased compute and AugReg can yield models with the same performance as models trained on an order of magnitude more training data: we train ViT models of various sizes on the public ImageNet-21k dataset which either match or outperform their counterparts trained on the larger, but not publicly available JFT-300M dataset.

---

Title: Auto-Lambda: Disentangling Dynamic Task Relationships

Authors: Shikun Liu, Stephen James, Andrew Davison, Edward Johns

Abstract: Understanding the structure of multiple related tasks allows for multi-task learning to improve the generalisation ability of one or all of them. However, it usually requires training each pairwise combination of tasks together in order to capture task relationships, at an extremely high computational cost. In this work, we learn task relationships via an automated weighting framework, named Auto-Lambda. Unlike previous methods where task relationships are assumed to be fixed, i.e., task should either be trained together or not trained together, Auto-Lambda explores continuous, dynamic task relationships via task-specific weightings, and can optimise any choice of combination of tasks through the formulation of a meta-loss; where the validation loss automatically influences task weightings throughout training. We apply the proposed framework to both multi-task and auxiliary learning problems in computer vision and robotics, and show that AutoLambda achieves state-of-the-art performance, even when compared to optimisation strategies designed specifically for each problem and data domain. Finally, we observe that Auto-Lambda can discover interesting learning behaviors, leading to new insights in multi-task learning. Code is available at https://github.com/lorenmt/auto-lambda.

---

New submissions
===============

Title: The Fundamental Limits of Neural Networks for Interval Certified Robustness

Abstract: Interval analysis (or interval bound propagation, IBP) is a popular technique for verifying and training provably robust deep neural networks, a fundamental challenge in the area of reliable machine learning. However, despite substantial efforts, progress on addressing this key challenge has stagnated, calling into question whether interval analysis is a viable path forward.

In this paper we present a fundamental result on the limitation of neural networks for interval analyzable robust classification. Our main theorem shows that non-invertible functions can’t be built such that interval analysis is precise everywhere. Given this, we derive a paradox: while every dataset can be robustly classified, there are there are simple datasets that can’t be provably robustly classified with interval analysis.

---

Title: sigmoidF1: A Smooth F1 Score Surrogate Loss for Multilabel Classification

Abstract: Multilabel classification is the task of attributing multiple labels to examples via predictions. Current models formulate a reduction of the multilabel setting into either multiple binary classifications or multiclass classification, allowing for the use of existing loss functions (sigmoid, cross-entropy, logistic, etc.). These multilabel classification reductions do not accommodate for the prediction of varying numbers of labels per example. Moreover, the loss functions are distant estimates of the performance metrics. We propose sigmoidF1, a loss function that is an approximation of the F1 score that (i) is smooth and tractable for stochastic gradient descent, (ii) naturally approximates a multilabel metric, and (iii) estimates both label suitability and label counts. We show that any confusion matrix metric can be formulated with a smooth surrogate. We evaluate the proposed loss function on text and image datasets, and with a variety of metrics, to account for the complexity of multilabel classification evaluation. sigmoidF1 outperforms other loss functions on one text and two image datasets over several metrics. These results show the effectiveness of using inference-time metrics as loss functions for non-trivial classification problems like multilabel classification.

---

Title: Understanding AdamW through Proximal Methods and Scale-Freeness

Abstract: Adam has been widely adopted for training deep neural networks due to less hyperparameter tuning and remarkable performance. To improve generalization, Adam is typically used in tandem with a squared $\ell_2$ regularizer (referred to as Adam-$\ell_2$). However, even better performance can be obtained with AdamW, which decouples the gradient of the regularizer from the update rule of Adam-$\ell_2$. Yet, we are still lacking a complete explanation of the advantages of AdamW. In this paper, we tackle this question from both an optimization and an empirical point of view. First, we show how to re-interpret AdamW as an approximation of a proximal gradient method, which takes advantage of the closed-form proximal mapping of the regularizer instead of only utilizing its gradient information as in Adam-$\ell_2$. Next, we consider the property of "scale-freeness" enjoyed by AdamW and by its proximal counterpart: their updates are invariant to component-wise rescaling of the gradients. We provide empirical evidence across a wide range of deep learning experiments showing a correlation between the problems in which AdamW exhibits an advantage over Adam-$\ell_2$ and the degree to which we expect the gradients of the network to exhibit multiple scales, thus motivating the hypothesis that the advantage of AdamW could be due to the scale-free updates.

---

Title: Finding and Fixing Spurious Patterns with Explanations

Abstract: Image classifiers often use spurious patterns, such as “relying on the presence of a person to detect a tennis racket,” which do not generalize. In this work, we present an end-to-end pipeline for identifying and mitigating spurious patterns for such models. We start by identifying patterns such as “the model’s prediction for tennis racket changes 63% of the time if we hide the people.” Then, if a pattern is spurious, we mitigate it via a novel form of data augmentation. We demonstrate that our method identifies a diverse set of spurious patterns and that it mitigates them by producing a model that is both more accurate on a distribution where the spurious pattern is not helpful and more robust to distribution shift.

---

Title: On the Adversarial Robustness of Vision Transformers

Abstract: Following the success in advancing natural language processing and understanding, transformers are expected to bring revolutionary changes to computer vision. This work provides a comprehensive study on the robustness of vision transformers (ViTs) against adversarial perturbations. Tested on various white-box and transfer attack settings, we find that ViTs possess better adversarial robustness when compared with MLP-Mixer and convolutional neural networks (CNNs) including ConvNeXt, and this observation also holds for certified robustness. Through frequency analysis and feature visualization, we summarize the following main observations contributing to the improved robustness of ViTs: 1) Features learned by ViTs contain less low-level and high-frequent information. Therefore, ViTs are less sensitive to high-frequency perturbations than CNNs and MLP-Mixer, and there is a high correlation between how well the model learns low-level features and its robustness against different frequency-based perturbations. 2) Introducing convolutional or tokens-to-token blocks for learning low-level features in ViTs can improve classification accuracy but at the cost of adversarial robustness. 3) Adversarial training is also applicable to ViT for training robust models. However, pre-training without adversarial training on larger datasets does not significantly improve adversarial robustness.

---

Title: Targeted Advertising on Social Networks Using Online Variational Tensor Regression

Abstract: This paper is concerned with online targeted advertising on social networks. The main technical task we address is to estimate the activation probability for user pairs, which quantifies the influence one user may have on another towards purchasing decisions. This is a challenging task because one marketing episode typically involves a multitude of marketing campaigns/strategies of different products for highly diverse customers. In this paper, we propose what we believe is the first tensor-based contextual bandit framework for online targeted advertising. The proposed framework is designed to accommodate any number of feature vectors in the form of multi-mode tensor, thereby enabling to capture the heterogeneity that may exist over user preferences, products, and campaign strategies in a unified manner. To handle inter-dependency of tensor modes, we introduce an online variational algorithm with a mean-field approximation. We empirically confirm that the proposed TensorUCB algorithm achieves a significant improvement in influence maximization tasks over the benchmarks, which is attributable to its capability of capturing the user-product heterogeneity.

---

Title: FLEA: Provably Robust Fair Multisource Learning from Unreliable Training Data

Abstract: Fairness-aware learning aims at constructing classifiers that not only make accurate predictions, but also do not discriminate against specific groups. It is a fast-growing area of machine learning with far-reaching societal impact. However, existing fair learning methods are vulnerable to accidental or malicious artifacts in the training data, which can cause them to unknowingly produce unfair classifiers. In this work we address the problem of fair learning from unreliable training data in the robust multisource setting, where the available training data comes from multiple sources, a fraction of which might not be representative of the true data distribution. We introduce FLEA, a filtering-based algorithm that identifies and suppresses those data sources that would have a negative impact on fairness or accuracy if they were used for training. As such, FLEA is not a replacement of prior fairness-aware learning methods but rather an augmentation that makes any of them robust against unreliable training data. We show the effectiveness of our approach by a diverse range of experiments on multiple datasets. Additionally, we prove formally that –given enough data– FLEA protects the learner against corruptions as long as the fraction of affected data sources is less than half.

---

Title: On Robustness to Missing Video for Audiovisual Speech Recognition

Abstract: It has been shown that learning audiovisual features can lead to improved speech recognition performance over audio-only features, especially for noisy speech. However, in many common applications, the visual features are partially or entirely missing, e.g. the speaker might move off screen. Multi-modal models need to be robust: missing video frames should not degrade the performance of an audiovisual model to be worse than that of a single-modality audio-only model. While there have been many attempts at building robust models, there is little consensus on how robustness should be evaluated. To address this, we introduce a framework that allows claims about robustness to be evaluated in a precise and testable way. We also conduct a systematic empirical study of the robustness of common audiovisual speech recognition architectures on a range of acoustic noise conditions and test suites. Finally, we show that an architecture-agnostic solution based on cascades can consistently achieve robustness to missing video, even in settings where existing techniques for robustness like dropout fall short.

---

Title: Generative Adversarial Neural Operators

Abstract: We propose the generative adversarial neural operator (GANO), a generative model paradigm for learning probabilities on infinite-dimensional function spaces. The natural sciences and engineering are known to have many types of data that are sampled from infinite-dimensional function spaces, where classical finite-dimensional deep generative adversarial networks (GANs) may not be directly applicable. GANO generalizes the GAN framework and allows for the sampling of functions by learning push-forward operator maps in infinite-dimensional spaces. GANO consists of two main components, a generator neural operator and a discriminator neural functional. The inputs to the generator are samples of functions from a user-specified probability measure, e.g., Gaussian random field (GRF), and the generator outputs are synthetic data functions. The input to the discriminator is either a real or synthetic data function. In this work, we instantiate GANO using the Wasserstein criterion and show how the Wasserstein loss can be computed in infinite-dimensional spaces. We empirically study GANO in controlled cases where both input and output functions are samples from GRFs and compare its performance to the finite-dimensional counterpart GAN. We empirically study the efficacy of GANO on real-world function data of volcanic activities and show its superior performance over GAN. Furthermore, we find that for the function-based data considered, GANOs are more stable to train than GANs and require less hyperparameter optimization.

---

Title: Unsupervised Dense Information Retrieval with Contrastive Learning

Abstract: Recently, information retrieval has seen the emergence of dense retrievers, based on neural networks, as an alternative to classical sparse methods based on term-frequency. These models have obtained state-of-the-art results on datasets and tasks where large training sets are available. However, they do not transfer well to new applications with no training data, and are outperformed by unsupervised term-frequency methods such as BM25. In this work, we explore the limits of contrastive learning as a way to train unsupervised dense retrievers and show that it leads to strong performance in various retrieval settings. On the BEIR benchmark our unsupervised model outperforms BM25 on 11 out of 15 datasets for the Recall@100 metric. When used as pre-training before fine-tuning, either on a few thousands in-domain examples or on the large MS MARCO dataset, our contrastive model leads to improvements on the BEIR benchmark. Finally, we evaluate our approach for multi-lingual retrieval, where training data is even scarcer than for English, and show that our approach leads to strong unsupervised performance. Our model also exhibits strong cross-lingual transfer when fine-tuned on supervised English data only and evaluated on low resources language such as Swahili. We show that our unsupervised models can perform cross-lingual retrieval between different scripts, such as retrieving English documents from Arabic queries, which would not be possible with term matching methods.

---

Title: Variational Elliptical Processes

Abstract: We present elliptical processes—a family of non-parametric probabilistic models that subsumes the Gaussian processes and the Student's t processes. This generalization includes a range of new heavy-tailed behaviors while retaining computational tractability. The elliptical processes are based on a representation of elliptical distributions as a continuous mixture of Gaussian distributions. We parameterize this mixture distribution as a spline normalizing flow, which we train using variational inference. The proposed form of the variational posterior enables a sparse variational elliptical process applicable to large-scale problems. We highlight some advantages compared to a Gaussian process through regression and classification experiments. Elliptical processes can replace Gaussian processes in several settings, including cases where the likelihood is non-Gaussian or when accurate tail modeling is essential.

---

Title: On the Convergence of Shallow Neural Network Training with Randomly Masked Neurons

Abstract: With the motive of training all the parameters of a neural network, we study why and when one can achieve this by iteratively creating, training, and combining randomly selected subnetworks. Such scenarios have either implicitly or explicitly emerged in the recent literature: see e.g., the Dropout family of regularization techniques, or some distributed ML training protocols that reduce communication/computation complexities, such as the Independent Subnet Training protocol. While these methods are studied empirically and utilized in practice, they often enjoy partial or no theoretical support, especially when applied on neural network-based objectives.

In this manuscript, our focus is on single hidden layer neural networks with ReLU activations. By carefully analyzing $i)$ the subnetworks’ neural tangent kernel, $ii)$ the surrogate functions’ gradient, and $iii)$ how we sample and combine the surrogate functions, we prove linear convergence rate of the training error –up to an error region– for an overparameterized single-hidden layer perceptron with a regression loss. Our analysis reveals a dependency of the error region on the number of surrogate models and the number of local training steps for each selected subnetwork. Moreover, the considered framework generalizes and provides new insights on dropout training, multi-sample dropout training, as well as Independent Subnet Training; for each case, we provide convergence results as corollaries of our main theorem.

---

Title: Variational Disentanglement for Domain Generalization

Abstract: Domain generalization aims to learn a domain-invariant model that can generalize well to the unseen target domain. In this paper, based on the assumption that there exists an invariant feature mapping, we propose an evidence upper bound of the divergence between the category-specific feature and its invariant ground-truth using variational inference. To optimize this upper bound, we further propose an efficient Variational Disentanglement Network (VDN) that is capable of disentangling the domain-specific features and category-specific features (which generalize well to the unseen samples). Besides, the generated novel images from VDN are used to further improve the generalization ability. We conduct extensive experiments to verify our method on three benchmarks, and both quantitative and qualitative results illustrate the effectiveness of our method.

---

Title: SemiNLL: A Framework of Noisy-Label Learning by Semi-Supervised Learning

Abstract: Deep learning with noisy labels is a challenging task, which has received much attention from the machine learning and computer vision communities. Recent prominent methods that build on a specific sample selection (SS) strategy and a specific semi-supervised learning (SSL) model achieved state-of-the-art performance. Intuitively, better performance could be achieved if stronger SS strategies and SSL models are employed. Following this intuition, one might easily derive various effective noisy-label learning methods using different combinations of SS strategies and SSL models, which is, however, simply reinventing the wheel in essence. To prevent this problem, we propose \emph{SemiNLL}, a versatile framework that investigates how to naturally combine different SS and SSL components based on their effects and efficiencies. Our framework can absorb various SS strategies and SSL backbones, utilizing their power to achieve promising performance. We also instantiate our framework with different combinations, which sets the new state of the art on benchmark-simulated and real-world datasets with noisy labels.

---

Title: Max-Affine Spline Insights Into Deep Network Pruning

Abstract: State-of-the-art (SOTA) approaches to deep network (DN) training overparametrize the model and then prune a posteriori to obtain a ``winning ticket'' subnetwork that can achieve high accuracy. To date, the literature has remained largely empirical and hence provides little insights into how pruning affects a DN's decision boundary and no guidance regarding how to design a principled pruning technique. Using a recently developed spline interpretation of DNs, we develop new theory and visualization tools that provide insights into how pruning DN nodes affects its decision boundary. We discover that a DN's spline mappings exhibit an early-bird (EB) phenomenon whereby the spline's partition converges at early training stages, bridging the recently developed DN spline theory and lottery ticket hypothesis of DNs. We leverage this new insight to develop a principled and efficient pruning strategy whose goal is to prune isolate groups of nodes that have a redundant contribution in the forming of the spline partition. Extensive experiments on four networks and three datasets validate that our new spline-based DN pruning approach reduces training FLOPs by up to 3.5x, while achieving similar or even better accuracy than current state-of-the-art methods. All the codes will be released publicly upon acceptance.

---

Title: TempoRL: Temporal Priors for Exploration in Off-Policy Reinforcement Learning

Abstract: Efficient exploration is a crucial challenge in deep reinforcement learning. Several methods, such as behavioral priors, are able to leverage offline data in order to efficiently accelerate reinforcement learning on complex tasks. However, if the task at hand deviates excessively from the demonstrated task, the effectiveness of such methods is limited. In our work, we propose to learn features from offline data that are shared by a more diverse range of tasks, such as correlation between actions and directedness. Therefore, we introduce state-independent temporal priors, which directly model temporal consistency in demonstrated trajectories, and are capable of driving exploration in complex tasks, even when trained on data collected on simpler tasks. Furthermore, we introduce a novel integration scheme for action priors in off-policy reinforcement learning by dynamically sampling actions from a probabilistic mixture of policy and action prior. We compare our approach against strong baselines and provide empirical evidence that it can accelerate reinforcement learning in long-horizon continuous control tasks under sparse reward settings.

---

Title: Optimal Client Sampling for Federated Learning

Abstract: It is well understood that client-master communication can be a primary bottleneck in Federated Learning (FL). In this work, we address this issue with a novel client subsampling scheme, where we restrict the number of clients allowed to communicate their updates back to the master node. In each communication round, all participating clients compute their updates, but only the ones with "important" updates communicate back to the master. We show that importance can be measured using only the norm of the update and give a formula for optimal client participation. This formula minimizes the distance between the full update, where all clients participate, and our limited update, where the number of participating clients is restricted. In addition, we provide a simple algorithm that approximates the optimal formula for client participation, which allows for secure aggregation and stateless clients, and thus does not compromise client privacy. We show both theoretically and empirically that for Distributed SGD (DSGD) and Federated Averaging (FedAvg), the performance of our approach can be close to full participation and superior to the baseline where participating clients are sampled uniformly. Moreover, our approach is orthogonal to and compatible with existing methods for reducing communication overhead, such as local methods and communication compression methods.

---

Title: Exploring Generative Neural Temporal Point Process

Abstract: Temporal point process (TPP) is commonly used to model the asynchronous event sequence featuring occurrence timestamps and revealed by probabilistic models conditioned on historical impacts.
While lots of previous works have focused on `goodness-of-fit' of TPP models by maximizing the likelihood, their predictive performance is unsatisfactory, which means the timestamps generated by models are far apart from true observations.
Recently, deep generative models such as denoising diffusion and score matching models have achieved great progress in image generating tasks by demonstrating their capability of generating samples of high quality.
However, there are no detailed and unified works exploring and studying the potential of generative models in the context of event prediction of TPP.
In this work, we try to fill the gap by designing a unified generative framework for neural temporal point process (GNTPP) model to explore their feasibility and effectiveness, and further improve models' predictive performance.
Besides, in terms of measuring the historical impacts, we revise the attentive models which summarize influence from historical events with an adaptive reweighting term considering events' type relation and time intervals.
Extensive experiments have been conducted to illustrate the improved predictive capability of GNTPP with a line of generative probabilistic decoders, and performance gain from the revised attention.
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first work that adapts generative models in a complete unified framework and studies their effectiveness in the context of TPP.

---

Title: Learning Accurate Decision Trees with Bandit Feedback via Quantized Gradient Descent

Abstract: Decision trees provide a rich family of highly non-linear but efficient models, due to which they continue to be the go-to family of predictive models by practitioners across domains. But learning trees is challenging due to their discrete decision boundaries. The state-of-the-art (SOTA) techniques resort to (a) learning soft trees thereby losing logarithmic inference time; or (b) using methods tailored to specific supervised learning settings, requiring access to labeled examples and loss function. In this work, by leveraging techniques like overparameterization and straight-through estimators, we propose a novel method that enables accurate end-to-end gradient based tree training and can be deployed in a variety of settings like offline supervised learning and online learning with bandit feedback. Using extensive validation on standard benchmarks, we demonstrate that our method provides best of both worlds, i.e., it is competitive to, and in some cases more accurate than methods designed specifically for the supervised settings; and in bandit settings, where most existing tree learning techniques are not applicable, our models are still accurate and significantly outperform the applicable SOTA methods.

---

Title: Explicit Regularization via Regularizer Mirror Descent

Abstract: Despite perfectly interpolating the training data, deep neural networks (DNNs) can often generalize fairly well, in part due to the ``implicit regularization'' induced by the learning algorithm. Nonetheless, various forms of regularization, such as ``explicit regularization'' (via weight decay), are often used to avoid overfitting, especially when the data is corrupted. There are several challenges with explicit regularization, most notably unclear convergence properties. Inspired by the convergence properties of stochastic mirror descent (SMD) algorithms, we propose a new method for training DNNs with regularization, called regularizer mirror descent (RMD). In highly overparameterized DNNs, SMD simultaneously interpolates the training data and minimizes a certain potential function of the weights. RMD starts with a standard cost which is the sum of the training loss and a convex regularizer of the weights. Reinterpreting this cost as the potential of an ``augmented'' overparameterized network and applying SMD yields RMD. As a result, RMD inherits the properties of SMD and provably converges to a point ``close'' to the minimizer of this cost. RMD is computationally comparable to stochastic gradient descent (SGD) and weight decay and is parallelizable in the same manner. Our experimental results on training sets with various levels of corruption suggest that the generalization performance of RMD is remarkably robust and significantly better than both SGD and weight decay, which implicitly and explicitly regularize the $\ell_2$ norm of the weights. RMD can also be used to regularize the weights to a desired weight vector, which is particularly relevant for continual learning.

---

Title: Equivariant Mesh Attention Networks

Abstract: Equivariance to symmetries has proven to be a powerful inductive bias in deep learning research. Recent works on mesh processing have concentrated on various kinds of natural symmetries, including translations, rotations, scaling, node permutations, and gauge transformations. To date, no existing architecture is equivariant to all of these transformations. Moreover, previous implementations have not always applied these symmetry transformations to the test dataset. This inhibits the ability to determine whether the model attains the claimed equivariance properties. In this paper, we present an attention-based architecture for mesh data that is provably equivariant to all transformations mentioned above. We carry out experiments on the FAUST and TOSCA datasets, and apply the mentioned symmetries to the test set only. Our results confirm that our proposed architecture is equivariant, and therefore robust, to these local/global transformations.

---

Title: Decoupled Kernel Neural Processes: Neural Network-Parameterized Stochastic Processes using Explicit Data-driven Kernel

Abstract: Neural Processes (NPs) are a class of stochastic processes parametrized by neural networks. Unlike traditional stochastic processes (e.g., Gaussian processes), which require specifying explicit kernel functions, NPs implicitly learn kernel functions appropriate for a given task through observed data. While this data-driven learning of stochastic processes has been shown to model various types of data, the current NPs’ implicit treatment of the mean and the covariance of the output variables limits its full potential when the underlying distribution of the given data is highly complex. To address this issue, we introduce a new class of neural stochastic processes, Decoupled Kernel Neural Processes (DKNPs), which explicitly learn a separate mean and kernel function to directly model the covariance between output variables in a data-driven manner. By estimating kernel functions with cross-attentive neural networks, DKNPs demonstrate improved uncertainty estimation in terms of conditional likelihood and diversity in generated samples in 1-D and 2-D regression tasks, compared to other concurrent NP variants. Also, maintaining explicit kernel functions, a key component of stochastic processes, allows the model to reveal a deeper understanding of underlying distributions.

---

Title: Meta-Learning Sparse Compression Networks

Abstract: Recent work in Deep Learning has re-imagined the representation of data as functions mapping from a coordinate space to an underlying continuous signal. When such functions are approximated by neural networks this introduces a compelling alternative to the more common multi-dimensional array representation. Recent work on such Implicit Neural Representations(INRs) has shown that - following careful architecture search - INRs can outperform established compression methods such as JPEG (e.g. Dupont et al., 2021). In this paper, we propose crucial steps towards making such ideas scalable: Firstly, we employ state-of-the-art network sparsification techniques to drastically improve compression. Secondly,introduce the first method allowing for sparsification to be employed in the inner-loop of commonly used Meta-Learning algorithms, drastically improving both compression and the computational cost of learning INRs. The generality of this formalism allows us to present results on diverse data modalities such as images, manifolds, signed distance functions, 3D shapes and scenes, several of which establish new state-of-the-art results.

---

Title: Unifying Language Learning Paradigms

Abstract: Existing pre-trained models are generally geared towards a particular class of problems. To date, there seems to be still no consensus on what the right architecture and pretraining setup should be. This paper presents a unified framework for pretraining models that are universally effective across datasets and setups. We begin by disentangling architectural archetypes with pre-training objectives -- two concepts that are commonly conflated. Next, we present a generalized and unified perspective for self-supervision in NLP and show how different pre-training objectives can be cast as one another and how interpolating between different objectives can be effective. We then propose Mixture-of-Denoisers (MoD), a pre-training objective that combines diverse pre-training paradigms together. We furthermore introduce a notion of mode switching, wherein downstream fine-tuning is associated with specific pre-training schemes. We conduct extensive ablative experiments to compare multiple pretraining objectives and find that our method pushes the pareto-frontier by outperforming T5 and/or GPT-like models across multiple diverse setups. Finally, by scaling our model up to 20B parameters, we achieve SOTA performance on 50 well-established supervised NLP tasks ranging from language generation (with automated and human evaluation), language understanding, text classification, question answering, commonsense reasoning, long text reasoning, structured knowledge grounding and information retrieval. Our model also achieve strong results at in-context learning, outperforming 175B GPT-3 on zero-shot SuperGLUE and tripling the performance of T5-XXL on one-shot summarization. We release flax-based T5X model checkpoints for the 20B model.

---