Daily TMLR digest for Nov 03, 2022

TMLR

Nov 2, 2022, 8:00:16 PM11/2/22
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: Data Leakage in Federated Averaging

Authors: Dimitar Iliev Dimitrov, Mislav Balunovic, Nikola Konstantinov, Martin Vechev

Abstract: Recent attacks have shown that user data can be recovered from FedSGD updates, thus breaking privacy. However, these attacks are of limited practical relevance as federated learning typically uses the FedAvg algorithm. Compared to FedSGD, recovering data from FedAvg updates is much harder as: (i) the updates are computed at unobserved intermediate network weights, (ii) a large number of batches are used, and (iii) labels and network weights vary simultaneously across client steps. In this work, we propose a new optimization-based attack which successfully attacks FedAvg by addressing the above challenges. First, we solve the optimization problem using automatic differentiation that forces a simulation of the client's update that generates the unobserved parameters for the recovered labels and inputs to match the received client update. Second, we address the large number of batches by relating images from different epochs with a permutation invariant prior. Third, we recover the labels by estimating the parameters of existing FedSGD attacks at every FedAvg step. On the popular FEMNIST dataset, we demonstrate that on average we successfully recover >45% of the client's images from realistic FedAvg updates computed on 10 local epochs of 10 batches each with 5 images, compared to only <10% using the baseline. Our findings show many real-world federated learning implementations based on FedAvg are vulnerable.

---

New submissions
===============

Title: Understanding and Simplifying Architecture Search in Spatio-Temporal Graph Neural Networks

Abstract: Compiling together spatial and temporal modules via a unified framework, Spatio-Temporal Graph Neural Networks (STGNNs) have been popularly used in the multivariate spatio-temporal forecasting task, e.g. traffic prediction. After the numerous propositions of manually designed architectures, researchers show interest in the Neural Architecture Search (NAS) of STGNNs. Existing methods suffer from two issues: (1) hyperparameters like learning rate, channel size cannot be integrated into the NAS framework, which makes the model evaluation less accurate, potentially misleading the architecture search (2) the current search space, which basically mimics Darts-like methods, is too large for the search algorithm to find a sufficiently good candidate. In this work, we deal with both issues at the same time. We first re-examine the importance and transferability of the training hyperparameters to ensure a fair and fast comparison. Next, we set up a framework that disentangles architecture design into three disjoint angles according to how spatio-temporal representations flow and transform in architectures, which allows us to understand the behavior of architectures from a distributional perspective. This way, we can obtain good guidelines to reduce the STGNN search space and find state-of-the-art architectures by simple random search. As an illustrative example, we combine these principles with random search which already significantly outperforms both state-of-the-art hand-designed models and recently automatically searched ones.

---

Title: ImpressLearn: Continual Learning via Combined Task Impressions

Abstract: This work proposes a new method to sequentially train a deep neural network on multiple tasks without suffering catastrophic forgetting, while endowing it with the capability to quickly adapt to unseen tasks. Starting from existing work on network masking (Wortsman et al., 2020), we show that simply learning a linear combination of a small number of task- specific masks (impressions) on a randomly initialized backbone network is sufficient to both retain accuracy on previously learned tasks, as well as achieve high accuracy on new tasks. In contrast to previous methods, we do not require to generate dedicated masks or contexts for each new task, instead leveraging transfer learning to keep per-task parameter overhead small. Our work illustrates the power of linearly combining individual impressions, each of which fares poorly in isolation, to achieve performance comparable to a dedicated mask. Moreover, even repeated impressions from the same task (homogeneous masks), when combined can approach the performance of heterogeneous combinations if sufficiently many impressions are used. Our approach scales more efficiently than existing methods, often requiring orders of magnitude fewer parameters and can function without modification even when task identity is missing. In addition, in the setting where task labels are not given at inference, our algorithm gives an often favorable alternative to the entropy based task- inference methods proposed in (Wortsman et al., 2020). We evaluate our method on a number of well known image classification data sets and architectures.

---

Title: Scalable Deep Compressive Sensing

Abstract: Deep learning has been used to image compressive sensing (CS) for enhanced reconstruction performance. However, most existing deep learning methods train different models for different subsampling ratios, which brings an additional hardware burden. In this paper, we develop a general framework named scalable deep compressive sensing (SDCS) for the scalable sampling and reconstruction (SSR) of all existing end-to-end-trained models. In the proposed way, images are measured and initialized linearly. Two sampling matrix masks are introduced to flexibly control the subsampling ratios used in sampling and reconstruction, respectively. To achieve a reconstruction model with flexible subsampling ratios, a training strategy dubbed scalable training is developed. In scalable training, the model is trained with the sampling matrix and the initialization matrix at various subsampling ratios by integrating different sampling matrix masks. Experimental results show that models with SDCS can achieve SSR without changing their structure while maintaining good performance, and SDCS outperforms other SSR methods.

---

Title: Transfer learning with affine model transformation

Abstract: Supervised transfer learning (TL) has received considerable attention because of its potential to boost the predictive power of machine learning in cases with limited data. In a conventional scenario, cross-domain differences are modeled and estimated using a given set of source models and samples from a target domain. For example, if there is a functional relationship between source and target domains, only domain-specific factors are additionally learned using target samples to shift the source models to the target. However, the general methodology for modeling and estimating such cross-domain shifts has been less studied. This study presents a TL framework that simultaneously and separately estimates domain shifts and domain-specific factors using given target samples. Assuming consistency and invertibility of the domain transformation functions, we derive an optimal family of functions to represent the cross-domain shift. The newly derived class of transformation functions takes the same form as invertible neural networks using affine coupling layers, which are widely used in generative deep learning. We show that the proposed method encompasses a wide range of existing methods, including the most common TL procedure based on feature extraction using neural networks. We also clarify the theoretical properties of the proposed method, such as the convergence rate of the generalization error, and demonstrate the practical benefits of separately modeling and estimating domain-specific factors through several case studies.

---

Title: Differentially Private Fréchet Mean on the Manifold of Symmetric Positive Definite (SPD) Matrices with log-Euclidean Metric

Abstract: Differential privacy has become crucial in the real-world deployment of statistical and machine learning algorithms with rigorous privacy guarantees. The earliest statistical queries, for which differential privacy mechanisms have been developed, were for the release of the sample mean. In Geometric Statistics, the sample Fréchet mean represents one of the most fundamental statistical summaries, as it generalizes the sample mean for data belonging to nonlinear manifolds. In that spirit, the only geometric statistical query for which a differential privacy mechanism has been developed, so far, is for the release of the sample Fréchet mean: the \emph{Riemannian Laplace mechanism} was recently proposed to privatize the Fréchet mean on complete Riemannian manifolds. In many fields, the manifold of Symmetric Positive Definite (SPD) matrices is used to model data spaces, including in medical imaging where privacy requirements are key. We propose a novel, simple and fast mechanism - the \emph{tangent Gaussian mechanism} - to compute a differentially private Fréchet mean on the SPD manifold endowed with the log-Euclidean Riemannian metric. We show that our new mechanism has significantly better utility and is multiple orders of magnitude faster --- as confirmed by extensive experiments.

---

Title: Extended Agriculture-Vision: An Extension of a Large Aerial Image Dataset for Agricultural Pattern Analysis

Abstract: A key challenge for much of the machine learning work on remote sensing and earth observation data is the difficulty in acquiring large amounts of accurately labeled data. This is particularly true for semantic segmentation tasks, which are much less common in the remote sensing domain because of the incredible difficulty in collecting precise, accurate, pixel-level annotations at scale. Recent efforts have addressed these challenges both through the creation of supervised datasets as well as the application of self-supervised methods. We continue these efforts on both fronts. First, we generate and release an improved version of the Agriculture-Vision dataset Chiu et al. (2020b) to include raw, full-field imagery for greater experimental flexibility. Second, we extend this dataset with the release of 3600 large, high-resolution (10cm/pixel), full-field, red-green-blue and near-infrared images for pre-training. Third, we incorporate the Pixel-to-Propagation Module Xie et al. (2021b) originally built on the SimCLR framework into the framework of MoCo-V2 Chen et al.(2020b). Finally, we demonstrate the usefulness of this data by benchmarking different contrastive learning approaches on both downstream classification and semantic segmentation tasks. We explore both CNN and Swin Transformer Liu et al. (2021a) architectures within different frameworks based on MoCo-V2. Together, these approaches enable us to better detect key agricultural patterns of interest across a field from aerial imagery so that farmers may be alerted to problematic areas in a timely fashion to inform their management decisions. Furthermore, the release of these datasets will support numerous avenues of research for computer vision in remote sensing for agriculture.

---