Daily TMLR digest for Jun 21, 2024

TMLR

Jun 21, 2024, 12:00:10 AM (10 days ago) Jun 21
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

New certifications
==================

Featured Certification: Layerwise complexity-matched learning yields an improved model of cortical area V2

Nikhil Parthasarathy, Olivier J Henaff, Eero P Simoncelli

https://openreview.net/forum?id=lQBsLfAWhj

---

Accepted papers
===============

Title: Training-free linear image inverses via flows

Authors: Ashwini Pokle, Matthew J. Muckley, Ricky T. Q. Chen, Brian Karrer

Abstract: Solving inverse problems without any training involves using a pretrained generative model and making appropriate modifications to the generation process to avoid finetuning of the generative model. While recent methods have explored the use of diffusion models, they still require the manual tuning of many hyperparameters for different inverse problems. In this work, we propose a training-free method for solving linear inverse problems by using pretrained flow models, leveraging the simplicity and efficiency of Flow Matching models, using theoretically-justified weighting schemes, and thereby significantly reducing the amount of manual tuning. In particular, we draw inspiration from two main sources: adopting prior gradient correction methods to the flow regime, and a solver scheme based on conditional Optimal Transport paths. As pretrained diffusion models are widely accessible, we also show how to practically adapt diffusion models for our method. Empirically, our approach requires no problem-specific tuning across an extensive suite of noisy linear inverse problems on high-dimensional datasets, ImageNet-64/128 and AFHQ-256, and we observe that our flow-based method for solving inverse problems improves upon closely-related diffusion-based methods in most settings.

---

Title: Towards Unbiased Calibration using Meta-Regularization

Authors: Cheng Wang, Jacek Golebiowski

Abstract: Model miscalibration has been frequently identified in modern deep neural networks. Recent work aims to improve model calibration directly through a differentiable calibration proxy. However, the calibration produced is often biased due to the binning mechanism. In this work, we propose to learn better-calibrated models via meta-regularization, which has two components: (1) gamma network (gamma-net), a meta learner that outputs sample-wise gamma value (continuous variable) for Focal loss for regularizing the backbone network; (2) smooth expected calibration error (SECE), a Gaussian-kernel based, unbiased, and differentiable surrogate to ECE that enables the smooth optimization of gamma-net. We evaluate the effectiveness of the proposed approach in regularizing neural networks towards improved and unbiased calibration on three computer vision datasets. We empirically demonstrate that: (a) learning sample-wise $\gamma$ as continuous variables can effectively improve calibration; (b) SECE smoothly optimizes gamma-net towards unbiased and robust calibration with respect to the binning schemes; and (c) the combination of gamma-net and SECE achieves the best calibration performance across various calibration metrics while retaining very competitive predictive performance as compared to multiple recently proposed methods.

---

Title: Layerwise complexity-matched learning yields an improved model of cortical area V2

Authors: Nikhil Parthasarathy, Olivier J Henaff, Eero P Simoncelli

Abstract: Human ability to recognize complex visual patterns arises through transformations performed by successive areas in the ventral visual cortex. Deep neural networks trained endto-end for object recognition approach human capabilities, and offer the best descriptions to date of neural responses in the late stages of the hierarchy. But these networks provide a poor account of the early stages, compared to traditional hand-engineered models, or models optimized for coding efficiency or prediction. Moreover, the gradient backpropagation used in end-to-end learning is generally considered to be biologically implausible. Here, we overcome both of these limitations by developing a bottom-up self-supervised training methodology that operates independently on successive layers. Specifically, we maximize feature similarity between pairs of locally-deformed natural image patches, while decorrelating features across patches sampled from other images. Crucially, the deformation amplitudes are adjusted proportionally to receptive field sizes in each layer, thus matching the task complexity to the capacity at each stage of processing. In comparison with architecturematched versions of previous models, we demonstrate that our layerwise complexity-matched learning (LCL) formulation produces a two-stage model (LCL-V2) that is better aligned with selectivity properties and neural activity in primate area V2. We demonstrate that the complexity-matched learning paradigm is responsible for much of the emergence of the improved biological alignment. Finally, when the two-stage model is used as a fixed front end for a deep network trained to perform object recognition, the resultant model (LCL-V2Net) is significantly better than standard end-to-end self-supervised, supervised, and adversarially-trained models in terms of generalization to out-of-distribution tasks and alignment with human behavior. Our code and pre-trained checkpoints are available at https://github.com/nikparth/LCL-V2.git

---

Title: SpikeGPT: Generative Pre-trained Language Model with Spiking Neural Networks

Authors: Rui-Jie Zhu, Qihang Zhao, Guoqi Li, Jason Eshraghian

Abstract: As the size of large language models continue to scale, so does the computational resources required to run them. Spiking Neural Networks (SNNs) have emerged as an energy-efficient approach to deep learning that leverage sparse and event-driven activations to reduce the computational overhead associated with model inference. While they have become competitive with non-spiking models on many computer vision tasks, SNNs have proven to be more challenging to train. As a result, their performance lags behind modern deep learning, and until now, SNNs have yet to succeed at language generation on large-scale datasets. In this paper, inspired by the Receptance Weighted Key Value (RWKV) language model, we successfully implement `SpikeGPT', a generative language model with binary, event-driven spiking activation units. We train the proposed model on two model variants: 46M and 216M parameters. To the best of our knowledge, SpikeGPT is the largest backpropagation-trained SNN model when released, rendering it suitable for both the generation and comprehension of natural language. We achieve this by modifying the transformer block to replace multi-head self-attention to reduce quadratic computational complexity $\mathcal{O}(T^2)$ to linear complexity $\mathcal{O}(T)$ with increasing sequence length. Input tokens are instead streamed in sequentially to our attention mechanism (as with typical SNNs). Our experiments show that SpikeGPT remains competitive with non-spiking models on tested benchmarks, while maintaining 32.2$\times$ fewer operations when processed on neuromorphic hardware that can leverage sparse, event-driven activations. Our code implementation is available at https://github.com/ridgerchu/SpikeGPT.

---

New submissions

Title: From Persona to Personalization: A Survey on Role-Playing Language Agents

Abstract: Recent advancements in large language models (LLMs) have significantly boosted the rise of Role-Playing Language Agents (RPLAs), i.e., specialized AI systems designed to simulate assigned personas. By harnessing multiple advanced abilities of LLMs, including in-context learning, instruction following, and social intelligence, RPLAs achieve a remarkable sense of human likeness and vivid role-playing performance. RPLAs can mimic a wide range of personas, ranging from historical figures and fictional characters to real-life individuals. Consequently, they have catalyzed numerous AI applications, such as emotional companions, interactive video games, personalized assistants and copilots, and digital clones. In this paper, we conduct a comprehensive survey of this field, illustrating the evolution and recent progress in RPLAs integrating with cutting-edge LLM technologies. We categorize personas into three types: 1) Demographic Persona, which leverages statistical stereotypes; 2) Character Persona, focused on well-established figures; and 3) Individualized Persona, customized through ongoing user interactions for personalized services. We begin by presenting a comprehensive overview of current methodologies for RPLAs, followed by the details for each persona type, covering corresponding data sourcing, agent construction, and evaluation. Afterward, we discuss the fundamental risks, existing limitations, and prospects of RPLAs. Additionally, we provide a brief review of RPLAs in AI products in the market, which reflects practical user demands that shape and drive RPLA research. Through this survey, we aim to establish a clear taxonomy of RPLA research and applications, facilitate future research in this critical and ever-evolving field, and pave the way for a future where humans and RPLAs coexist in harmony.

---

Title: How Far Are We From AGI?

Abstract: The evolution of artificial intelligence (AI) has profoundly impacted human society, driving significant advancements in multiple sectors. Yet, the escalating demands on AI have highlighted the limitations of AI's current offerings, catalyzing a movement towards Artificial General Intelligence (AGI). AGI, distinguished by its ability to execute diverse real-world tasks with efficiency and effectiveness comparable to human intelligence, reflects a paramount milestone in AI evolution. While existing works have summarized specific recent advancements of AI, they lack a comprehensive discussion of AGI's definitions, goals, and developmental trajectories. Different from existing survey papers, this paper delves into the pivotal questions of our proximity to AGI and the strategies necessary for its realization through extensive surveys, discussions, and original perspectives. We start by articulating the requisite capability frameworks for AGI, integrating the internal, interface, and system dimensions. As the realization of AGI requires more advanced capabilities and adherence to stringent constraints, we further discuss necessary AGI alignment technologies to harmonize these factors. Notably, we emphasize the importance of approaching AGI responsibly by first defining the key levels of AGI progression, followed by the evaluation framework that situates the status-quo, and finally giving our roadmap of how to reach the pinnacle of AGI. Moreover, to give tangible insights into the ubiquitous impact of the integration of AI, we outline existing challenges and potential pathways toward AGI in multiple domains. In sum, serving as a pioneering exploration into the current state and future trajectory of AGI, this paper aims to foster a collective comprehension and catalyze broader public discussions among researchers and practitioners on AGI.

---