Daily TMLR digest for Nov 24, 2022

TMLR

Nov 23, 2022, 7:00:06 PM11/23/22
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: Nonparametric Learning of Two-Layer ReLU Residual Units

Authors: Zhunxuan Wang, Linyun He, Chunchuan Lyu, Shay B Cohen

Abstract: We describe an algorithm that learns two-layer residual units using rectified linear unit (ReLU) activation: suppose the input $\mathbf{x}$ is from a distribution with support space $\mathbb{R}^d$ and the ground-truth generative model is a residual unit of this type, given by $\mathbf{y} = \boldsymbol{B}^\ast\left[\left(\boldsymbol{A}^\ast\mathbf{x}\right)^+ + \mathbf{x}\right]$, where ground-truth network parameters $\boldsymbol{A}^\ast \in \mathbb{R}^{d\times d}$ represent a full-rank matrix with nonnegative entries and $\boldsymbol{B}^\ast \in \mathbb{R}^{m\times d}$ is full-rank with $m \geq d$ and for $\boldsymbol{c} \in \mathbb{R}^d$, $[\boldsymbol{c}^{+}]_i = \max\{0, c_i\}$. We design layer-wise objectives as functionals whose analytic minimizers express the exact ground-truth network in terms of its parameters and nonlinearities. Following this objective landscape, learning residual units from finite samples can be formulated using convex optimization of a nonparametric function: for each layer, we first formulate the corresponding empirical risk minimization (ERM) as a positive semi-definite quadratic program (QP), then we show the solution space of the QP can be equivalently determined by a set of linear inequalities, which can then be efficiently solved by linear programming (LP). We further prove the strong statistical consistency of our algorithm, and demonstrate its robustness and sample efficiency through experimental results on synthetic data and a set of benchmark regression datasets.

---

New submissions

Title: Understanding Metric Learning on Unit Hypersphere and Generating Better Examples for Adversarial Training

Abstract: Recent works have shown that the adversarial examples can improve the performance of representation learning tasks. In this paper, we boost the performance of deep metric learning (DML) models with adversarial examples generated by attacking two new objective functions: intra-class alignment and hyperspherical uniformity. These two new objectives are motivated by our theoretical and empirical analysis of the tuple-based metric losses on the hyperspherical embedding space. Our analytical results reveal that a) the metric losses on positive sample pairs are related to intra-class alignment; b) the metric losses on negative sample pairs serve as uniformity regularization on hypersphere. Based on our new understanding on the DML models, we propose Adversarial Deep Metric Learning model with adversarial samples generated by Alignment or Uniformity objective (ADML+A or U). With the same network structure and training settings, ADML+A and ADML+U consistently outperform the vanilla DML models and the baseline model, adversarial DML model with attacking triplet objective function, on four metric learning benchmark datasets.

---

Title: Can Pruning Improve Certified Robustness of Neural Networks?

Abstract: With the rapid development of deep learning, the sizes of neural networks become larger and larger so that the training and inference often overwhelm the hardware resources. Given the fact that neural networks are often over-parameterized, one effective way to reduce such computational overhead is neural network pruning, by removing redundant parameters from trained neural networks. It has been recently observed that pruning can not only reduce computational overhead but also can improve empirical robustness of deep neural networks (NNs), potentially owing to removing spurious correlations while preserving the predictive accuracies. This paper for the first time demonstrates that pruning can generally improve certified robustness for ReLU-based NNs under the \textit{complete verification} setting. Using the popular Branch-and-Bound (BaB) framework, we find that pruning can enhance the estimated bound tightness of certified robustness verification, by alleviating linear relaxation and sub-domain split problems. We empirically verify our findings with off-the-shelf pruning methods and further present a new stability-based pruning method tailored for reducing neuron instability, that outperforms existing pruning methods in enhancing certified robustness. Our experiments show that by appropriately pruning an NN, its certified accuracy can be boosted up to \textbf{8.2\%} under standard training, and up to \textbf{24.5\%} under adversarial training on the CIFAR10 dataset. We additionally observe the existence of {\it certified lottery tickets} that can match both standard and certified robust accuracies of the original dense models across different datasets. Our findings offer a new angle to study the intriguing interaction between sparsity and robustness, i.e. interpreting the interaction of sparsity and certified robustness via neuron stability. Codes will be fully released.

---