Daily TMLR digest for Jun 10, 2024

1 view

TMLR

Jun 10, 2024, 12:00:08 AMJun 10
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: [Re] Reproducibility Study of “Explaining Temporal Graph Models Through an Explorer-Navigator Framework"

Authors: Helia Ghasemi, Christina Isaicu, Jesse Wonnink, Andreas Berentzen

Abstract: This paper seeks to reproduce and extend the results of the paper “Explaining Temporal Graph Models Through an Explorer-Navigator Framework” by (Xia et al., 2023). The main contribution of the original authors is a novel explainer for temporal graph networks, the Temporal GNN Explainer (T-GNNExplainer), which finds a subset of preceding events that “explain” a prediction made by a temporal graph model. The explorer is tested on two temporal graph models that are trained on two real-world and two synthetic datasets. The explorer is evaluated using a newly proposed metric for explanatory graph models. The authors compare the performance of their explorer to three baseline explainer methods, either adapted from a GNN explainer or developed by the authors. The authors claim that T-GNNExplainer achieves superior performance compared to the baselines when evaluated with their proposed metric. This work reproduces the original experiments by using the code (with minor adjustments), model specifications, and hyperparameters provided by the original authors. To evaluate the robustness of these claims, the method was extended to one new dataset (MOOC). Results show that the T-GNNexplainer performs best on some, but not all metrics as reported in the original findings. We conclude that the main lines of this paper hold up even though all results are less pronounced than claimed. Results show that the T-GNNExplainer does not perform similarly across different T-GNN models, precise dataset specifications are needed to obtain high performance, and there are simpler, less computationally costly explainer methods (like PBONE) that could offer competitive results.

---

Title: Achieving the Asymptotically Minimax Optimal Sample Complexity of Offline Reinforcement Learning: A DRO-Based Approach

Authors: Yue Wang, Jinjun Xiong, Shaofeng Zou

Abstract: Offline reinforcement learning aims to learn from pre-collected datasets without active exploration. This problem faces significant challenges, including limited data availability and distributional shifts. Existing approaches adopt a pessimistic stance towards uncertainty by penalizing rewards of under-explored state-action pairs to estimate value functions conservatively. In this paper, we show that the distributionally robust optimization (DRO) based approach can also address these challenges and is {asymptotically minimax optimal}. Specifically, we directly model the uncertainty in the transition kernel and construct an uncertainty set of statistically plausible transition kernels. We then show that the policy that optimizes the worst-case performance over this uncertainty set has a near-optimal performance in the underlying problem. We first design a metric-based distribution-based uncertainty set such that with high probability the true transition kernel is in this set. We prove that to achieve a sub-optimality gap of $\epsilon$, the sample complexity is $\mathcal{O}(S^2C^{\pi^*}\epsilon^{-2}(1-\gamma)^{-4})$, where $\gamma$ is the discount factor, $S$ is the number of states, and $C^{\pi^*}$ is the single-policy clipped concentrability coefficient which quantifies the distribution shift. To achieve the optimal sample complexity, we further propose a less conservative value-function-based uncertainty set, which, however, does not necessarily include the true transition kernel. We show that an improved sample complexity of $\mathcal{O}(SC^{\pi^*}\epsilon^{-2}(1-\gamma)^{-3})$ can be obtained, which asymptotically matches with the minimax lower bound for offline reinforcement learning, and thus is asymptotically minimax optimal.

---

Title: Promoting Exploration in Memory-Augmented Adam using Critical Momenta

Authors: Pranshu Malviya, Goncalo Mordido, Aristide Baratin, Reza Babanezhad Harikandeh, Jerry Huang, Simon Lacoste-Julien, Razvan Pascanu, Sarath Chandar

Abstract: Adaptive gradient-based optimizers, notably Adam, have left their mark in training large-scale deep learning models, offering fast convergence and robustness to hyperparameter settings. However, they often struggle with generalization, attributed to their tendency to converge to sharp minima in the loss landscape. To address this, we propose a new memory-augmented version of Adam that encourages exploration towards flatter minima by incorporating a buffer of critical momentum terms during training. This buffer prompts the optimizer to overshoot beyond narrow minima, promoting exploration. Through comprehensive analysis in simple settings, we illustrate the efficacy of our approach in increasing exploration and bias towards flatter minima. We empirically demonstrate that it can improve model performance for image classification on ImageNet and CIFAR10/100, language modelling on Penn Treebank, and online learning tasks on TinyImageNet and 5-dataset. Our code is available at https://github.com/chandar-lab/CMOptimizer.

---

Title: Physics Informed Distillation for Diffusion Models

Authors: Joshua Tian Jin Tee, Kang Zhang, Hee Suk Yoon, Dhananjaya Nagaraja Gowda, Chanwoo Kim, Chang D. Yoo

Abstract: Diffusion models have recently emerged as a potent tool in generative modeling. However, their inherent iterative nature often results in sluggish image generation due to the requirement for multiple model evaluations. Recent progress has unveiled the intrinsic link between diffusion models and Probability Flow Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs), thus enabling us to conceptualize diffusion models as ODE systems. Simultaneously, Physics Informed Neural Networks (PINNs) have substantiated their effectiveness in solving intricate differential equations through implicit modeling of their solutions. Building upon these foundational insights, we introduce Physics Informed Distillation (PID), which employs a student model to represent the solution of the ODE system corresponding to the teacher diffusion model, akin to the principles employed in PINNs. Through experiments on CIFAR 10 and ImageNet 64x64, we observe that PID achieves performance comparable to recent distillation methods. Notably, it demonstrates predictable trends concerning method-specific hyperparameters and eliminates the need for synthetic dataset generation during the distillation process. Both of which contribute to its easy-to-use nature as a distillation approach for Diffusion Models.

---

Title: Understanding and Improving Transfer Learning of Deep Models via Neural Collapse

Authors: Xiao Li, Sheng Liu, Jinxin Zhou, Xinyu Lu, Carlos Fernandez-Granda, Zhihui Zhu, Qing Qu

Abstract: With the ever-increasing complexity of large-scale pre-trained models coupled with a shortage of labeled data for downstream training, transfer learning has become the primary approach in many fields, including natural language processing, computer vision, and multi-modal learning. Despite recent progress, the fine-tuning process for large-scale pre-trained models in vision still mostly relies on trial and error. This work investigates the relationship between neural collapse (NC) and transfer learning for classification problems. NC is an intriguing while prevalent phenomenon that has been recently discovered in terms of the final-layer features and linear classifiers of trained neural networks. Specifically, during the terminal phase of training, NC implies that the variability of the features within each class diminishes to zero, while the means of features between classes are maximally and equally distanced. In this work, we examine the NC attributes of pre-trained models on both downstream and training data for transfer learning, and we find strong correlation between feature collapse and downstream performance. In particular, we discovered a systematic pattern that emerges when linear probing pre-trained models on downstream training data: the more feature collapse of pre-trained models on downstream data, the higher the transfer accuracy.
Additionally, we also studied the relationship between NC and transfer accuracy on the training data. Moreover, these findings allow us to develop a principled, parameter-efficient fine-tuning method that employs skip-connection to induce the last-layer feature collapse on downstream data. Our proposed fine-tuning methods deliver good performances while reducing fine-tuning parameters by at least 90\% and mitigating overfitting in situations especially when the downstream data is scarce.

---

Title: AGALE: A Graph-Aware Continual Learning Evaluation Framework

Authors: Tianqi Zhao, Alan Hanjalic, Megha Khosla

Abstract: In recent years, continual learning (CL) techniques have made significant progress in learning from streaming data while preserving knowledge across sequential tasks, particularly in the realm of euclidean data. To foster fair evaluation and recognize challenges in CL settings, several evaluation frameworks have been proposed, focusing mainly on the single- and multi-label classification task on euclidean data. However, these evaluation frameworks are not trivially applicable when the input data is graph-structured, as they do not consider the topological structure inherent in graphs. Existing continual graph learning (CGL) evaluation frameworks have predominantly focussed on single-label scenarios in the node classification (NC) task. This focus has overlooked the complexities of multi-label scenarios, where nodes may exhibit affiliations with multiple labels, simultaneously participating in multiple tasks. We develop a graph-aware evaluation (AGALE) framework that accommodates both single-labeled and multi-labeled nodes, addressing the limitations of previous evaluation frameworks. In particular, we define new incremental settings and devise data partitioning algorithms tailored to CGL datasets. We perform extensive experiments comparing methods from the domains of continual learning, continual graph learning, and dynamic graph learning (DGL). We theoretically analyze \agale and provide new insights about the role of homophily in the performance of compared methods. We release our framework at https://github.com/Tianqi-py/AGALE.

---

New submissions

Title: Enhancing Contrastive Clustering with Negative Pair-guided Regularization

Abstract: Contrastive Learning (CL) aims to create effective embeddings for input data by minimizing the distance between positive pairs, i.e., different augmentations or views of the same sample. To avoid degeneracy, CL also employs auxiliary loss to maximize the discrepancy between negative pairs formed with views of distinct samples. As a self-supervised learning strategy, CL inherently attempts to cluster input data into natural groups. However, the often improper trade-off between the attractive and repulsive forces, respectively induced by positive and negative pairs, can lead to deformed clustering, particularly when the number of clusters $k$ is unknown. To address this, we propose NRCC, a CL-based deep clustering framework that generates cluster-friendly embeddings. NRCC repurposes Stochastic Gradient Hamiltonian Monte Carlo sampling as an approximately invariant data augmentation, to curate hard negative pairs that judiciously enhance and balance the two adversarial forces through a regularizer. By preserving the cluster structure in the CL embedding, NRCC retains local density landscapes in lower dimensions through neighborhood-conserving projections. This enables the application of mode-seeking clustering algorithms, typically hindered by high-dimensional CL feature spaces, to achieve exceptional accuracy without needing a predetermined $k$. NRCC's superiority is demonstrated across various datasets with different scales and cluster structures, outperforming 20 state-of-the-art methods.

---

Title: Explainability of Vision Transformers: A Comprehensive Review and New Perspectives

Abstract: Transformers have had a significant impact on natural language processing and have recently demonstrated their potential in computer vision. They have shown promising results over convolution neural networks in fundamental computer vision tasks. However, the scientific community has not fully grasped the inner workings of vision transformers, nor the basis for their decision-making, which underscores the importance of explainability methods. Understanding how these models arrive at their decisions not only improves their performance but also builds trust in AI systems. This study explores different explainability methods proposed for vision transformers and presents a taxonomy for organizing them according to their motivations, structures, and application scenarios. In addition, it provides a comprehensive review of evaluation criteria that can be used for comparing explanation results, as well as explainability tools and frameworks. Finally, the paper highlights essential but unexplored aspects that can enhance the explainability of vision transformers, and promising research directions are suggested for future investment.

---

Title: Invariance & Causal Representation Learning: Prospects and Limitations

Abstract: Learning causal representations without assumptions is known to be fundamentally impossible, thus establishing the need for suitable inductive biases. At the same time, the invariance of causal mechanisms has emerged as a promising principle to address the challenge of out-of-distribution prediction which machine learning models face. In this work, we explore this invariance principle as a candidate assumption to achieve identifiability of causal representations. While invariance has been utilized for inference in settings where the causal variables are observed, theoretical insights of this principle in the context of causal representation learning are largely missing. We assay the connection between invariance and causal representation learning by establishing impossibility results which show that invariance alone is insufficient to identify latent causal variables. Together with practical considerations, we use our results to reflect generally on the commonly used notion of identifiability in causal representation learning and potential adaptations of this goal moving forward.

---