Daily TMLR digest for Jul 22, 2022

1 view

TMLR

Jul 21, 2022, 8:00:09 PM7/21/22
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: Ranking Recovery under Privacy Considerations

Authors: Minoh Jeong, Alex Dytso, Martina Cardone

Abstract: We consider the private ranking recovery problem, where a data collector seeks to estimate the permutation/ranking of a data vector given a randomized (privatized) version of it. We aim to establish fundamental trade-offs between the performance of the estimation task, measured in terms of probability of error, and the level of privacy that can be guaranteed when the noise mechanism consists of adding artificial noise. Towards this end, we show the optimality of a low-complexity decision rule (referred to as linear decoder) for the estimation task, under several noise distributions widely used in the privacy literature (e.g., Gaussian, Laplace, and generalized normal model). We derive the Taylor series of the probability of error, which yields its first and second-order approximations when such a linear decoder is employed. We quantify the guaranteed level of privacy using differential privacy (DP) types of metrics, such as $\epsilon$-DP and $(\alpha,\epsilon)$-Rényi DP. Finally, we put together the results to characterize trade-offs between privacy and probability of error.

---

Title: Learning the Transformer Kernel

Authors: Sankalan Pal Chowdhury, Adamos Solomou, Kumar Avinava Dubey, Mrinmaya Sachan

Abstract: In this work we introduce KL-TRANSFORMER, a generic, scalable, data driven framework for learning the kernel function in Transformers. Our framework approximates the Transformer kernel as a dot product between spectral feature maps and learns the kernel by learning the spectral distribution. This not only helps in learning a generic kernel end-to-end, but also reduces the time and space complexity of Transformers from quadratic to linear. We show that KL-TRANSFORMERs achieve performance comparable to existing efficient Transformer architectures, both in terms of accuracy and computational efficiency. Our study also demonstrates that the choice of the kernel has a substantial impact on performance, and kernel learning variants are competitive alternatives to fixed kernel Transformers, both in long as well as short sequence tasks.

---

Title: Optimizing Functionals on the Space of Probabilities with Input Convex Neural Networks

Authors: David Alvarez-Melis, Yair Schiff, Youssef Mroueh

Abstract: Gradient flows are a powerful tool for optimizing functionals in general metric spaces, including the space of probabilities endowed with the Wasserstein metric. A typical approach to solving this optimization problem relies on its connection to the dynamic formulation of optimal transport and the celebrated Jordan-Kinderlehrer-Otto (JKO) scheme. However, this formulation involves optimization over convex functions, which is challenging, especially in high dimensions. In this work, we propose an approach that relies on the recently introduced input-convex neural networks (ICNN) to parametrize the space of convex functions in order to approximate the JKO scheme, as well as in designing functionals over measures that enjoy convergence guarantees. We derive a computationally efficient implementation of this JKO-ICNN framework and experimentally demonstrate its feasibility and validity in approximating solutions of low-dimensional partial differential equations with known solutions. We also demonstrate its viability in high-dimensional applications through an experiment in controlled generation for molecular discovery.

---

New submissions
===============

Title: Explicit Group Sparse Projection with Applications to Deep Learning and NMF

Abstract: We design a new sparse projection method for a set of vectors that guarantees a desired average sparsity level measured leveraging the popular Hoyer measure (an affine function of the ratio of the $\ell_1$ and $\ell_2$ norms).
Existing approaches either project each vector individually or require the use of a regularization parameter which implicitly maps to the average $\ell_0$-measure of sparsity. Instead, in our approach we set the sparsity level for the whole set explicitly and simultaneously project a group of vectors with the sparsity level of each vector tuned automatically.
We show that the computational complexity of our projection operator is linear in the size of the problem.
Additionally, we propose a generalization of this projection by replacing the $\ell_1$ norm by its weighted version.
We showcase the efficacy of our approach in both supervised and unsupervised learning tasks on image datasets including CIFAR10 and ImageNet. In deep neural network pruning, the sparse models produced by our method on ResNet50 have significantly higher accuracies at corresponding sparsity values compared to existing competitors. In nonnegative matrix factorization, our approach yields competitive reconstruction errors against state-of-the-art algorithms.

---

Title: Calibrate and Debias Layer-wise Sampling for Graph Convolutional Networks

Abstract: Multiple sampling-based methods have been developed for approximating and accelerating node embedding aggregation in graph convolutional networks (GCNs) training. Among them, a layer-wise approach recursively performs importance sampling to select neighbors jointly for existing nodes in each layer. This paper revisits the approach from a matrix approximation perspective and identifies two issues in the existing layer-wise sampling methods: sub-optimal sampling probabilities and estimation biases induced by sampling without replacement. To address these issues, we accordingly propose two remedies: a new principle for constructing sampling probabilities and an efficient debiasing algorithm. The improvements are demonstrated by extensive analyses of estimation variance and experiments on common benchmarks.

---