Daily TMLR digest for Mar 22, 2023

TMLR

Mar 21, 2023, 8:00:12 PM3/21/23
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

New certifications
==================

Featured Certification: Identification of Negative Transfers in Multitask Learning Using Surrogate Models

Dongyue Li, Huy Nguyen, Hongyang Ryan Zhang

https://openreview.net/forum?id=KgfFAI9f3E

---

Accepted papers
===============

Title: The Low-Rank Simplicity Bias in Deep Networks

Authors: Minyoung Huh, Hossein Mobahi, Richard Zhang, Brian Cheung, Pulkit Agrawal, Phillip Isola

Abstract: Modern deep neural networks are highly over-parameterized compared to the data on which they are trained, yet they often generalize remarkably well. A flurry of recent work has asked: why do deep networks not overfit to their training data? In this work, we make a series of
empirical observations that investigate and extend the hypothesis that deeper networks are inductively biased to find solutions with lower effective rank embeddings. We conjecture that this bias exists because the volume of functions that maps to low effective rank embedding
increases with depth. We show empirically that our claim holds true on finite width linear and non-linear models on practical learning paradigms and show that on natural data, these are often the solutions that generalize well. We then show that the simplicity bias exists
at both initialization and after training and is resilient to hyper-parameters and learning methods. We further demonstrate how linear over-parameterization of deep non-linear models can be used to induce low-rank bias, improving generalization performance on CIFAR and
ImageNet without changing the modeling capacity.

---

Title: Identification of Negative Transfers in Multitask Learning Using Surrogate Models

Authors: Dongyue Li, Huy Nguyen, Hongyang Ryan Zhang

Abstract: Multitask learning is widely used in practice to train a low-resource target task by augmenting it with multiple related source tasks. Yet, naively combining all the source tasks with a target task does not always improve the prediction performance for the target task due to negative transfers. Thus, a critical problem in multitask learning is identifying subsets of source tasks that would benefit the target task. This problem is computationally challenging since the number of subsets grows exponentially with the number of source tasks; efficient heuristics for subset selection does not always capture the relationship between task subsets and multitask learning performances. In this paper, we introduce an efficient procedure to address this problem via surrogate modeling. In surrogate modeling, we sample (random) subsets of source tasks and precompute their multitask learning performances; Then, we approximate the precomputed performances with a linear regression model that can also be used to predict the multitask performance of unseen task subsets. We show theoretically and empirically that fitting this model only requires sampling linearly many subsets in the number of source tasks. The fitted model provides a relevance score between each source task and the target task; We use the relevance scores to perform subset selection for multitask learning by thresholding. Through extensive experiments, we show that our approach predicts negative transfers from multiple source tasks to target tasks much more accurately than existing task affinity measures. Additionally, we demonstrate that for five weak supervision datasets, our approach consistently improves upon existing optimization methods for multi-task learning.

---

New submissions

Title: Representation Balancing with Decomposed Patterns for Treatment Effect Estimation

Abstract: Estimating treatment effects from observational data is subject to a covariate shift problem incurred by selection bias. Recent research has sought to mitigate this problem by balancing the distribution of representations between the treated and controlled groups. The rationale behind this is that counterfactual estimation relies on (1) preserving the predictive power of factual outcomes and (2) learning balanced representations. However, there is a trade-off between achieving these two objectives. In this paper, we propose a novel model, DIGNet, which is designed to capture the patterns that contribute to outcome prediction (task 1) and representation balancing (task 2) respectively. Specifically, we derive a theoretical upper bound that links the concept of propensity confusion to representation balancing, and further transform the balancing Patterns into Decompositions of Individual propensity confusion and Group distance minimization (PDIG) to capture more effective balancing patterns. Moreover, we suggest decomposing proxy features into Patterns of Pre-balancing and Balancing Representations (PPBR) to preserve patterns that are beneficial for outcome modeling. Extensive experiments confirm that PDIG and PPBR follow different pathways to achieve the same goal of improving treatment effect estimation. We hope our findings can be heuristics for investigating factors influencing the generalization of representation balancing models in counterfactual estimation.

---