Daily TMLR digest for Jul 10, 2022

1 view

TMLR

Jul 9, 2022, 8:00:08 PM7/9/22
to tmlr-anno...@googlegroups.com

Accepted papers
===============

Title: How Expressive are Transformers in Spectral Domain for Graphs?

Authors: Anson Bastos, Abhishek Nadgeri, Kuldeep Singh, Hiroki Kanezashi, Toyotaro Suzumura, Isaiah Onando Mulang'

Abstract: The recent works proposing transformer-based models for graphs have proven the inadequacy of Vanilla Transformer for graph representation learning. To understand this inadequacy, there is a need to investigate if spectral analysis of the transformer will reveal insights into its expressive power. Similar studies already established that spectral analysis of Graph neural networks (GNNs) provides extra perspectives on their expressiveness.
In this work, we systematically study and establish the link between the spatial and spectral domain in the realm of the transformer. We further provide a theoretical analysis that the spatial attention mechanism in the transformer cannot effectively capture the desired frequency response, thus, inherently limiting its expressiveness in spectral space. Therefore, we propose FeTA, a framework that aims to perform attention over the entire graph spectrum (i.e. actual frequency components of the graph) analogous to the attention in spatial space.
Empirical results suggest that FeTA provides homogeneous performance gain against vanilla transformer across all tasks on standard benchmarks and can easily be extended to GNN-based models with low-pass characteristics (e.g., GAT).

---

New submissions

Title: Transfer Learning for Segmentation Problems: Choose the Right Encoder and Skip the Decoder

Abstract: It is common practice to reuse models initially trained on different data to increase downstream task performance. Especially in the computer vision domain, ImageNet-pretrained weights have been successfully used for various tasks. In this work, we investigate the impact of transfer learning for segmentation problems, being pixel-wise classification problems that can be tackled with encoder-decoder architectures. We find that transfer learning the decoder does not help downstream segmentation tasks, while transfer learning the encoder is truly beneficial.
We demonstrate that pretrained weights for a decoder may yield faster convergence, but they do not improve the overall model performance as one can obtain equivalent results with randomly initialized decoders.
However, we show that it is more effective to reuse encoder weights trained on a segmentation or reconstruction task than reusing encoder weights trained on classification tasks. This finding implicates that using ImageNet-pretrained encoders for downstream segmentation problems is suboptimal. We also propose a contrastive self-supervised approach with multiple self-reconstruction tasks, which provides encoders that are suitable for transfer learning in segmentation problems in the absence of segmentation labels.

---