Setup tmate server with websocket support

sergio borghese

Apr 8, 2020, 7:05:27 AM4/8/20
to tmate.io
Hi Everybody,

I started playing with tmate last week and I found it an really interesting tool.
I'm trying now to setup a local server using the available docker image(s) but I'm getting some issue.

- I successfully started the docker image available here: https://hub.docker.com/r/tmate/tmate-ssh-server
after understanding the I need to map the folder with the keys as a docker volume.

So now I'm able to connect to my own server and got remore ssh sessions.
When I connect to such server I get notified that to been able to run a named session I need the websocket server as well.
And here's where I got stuck.

I found a docker image for the websocket server as well: https://hub.docker.com/r/tmate/tmate-websocket
but if I try to run it I got an error that I'm not able to understand

Reading the paper https://viennot.com/tmate.pdf my understanding is that I need
- the tmate server
- the tmate proxy

So my questions are:
- do I need to start two instance of the tmate server docker image, once configured with the proxy/ws and the other "plain"?
- do I need to start a tmate-server + tmate-websocket docker images instread?
- in any case, how do I configure the two services to talk to each other? I image there must me some configuration to let them know their respective ip addresses and port

Many Thanks
Sergio

bt.se...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2020, 2:48:27 AM4/14/20
to tmate.io
Hello,
I find myself in the similar situation, hosting the ssh-server and websocket as well, but there is not too much documentation in order to figure out how to connect each other,
Have you managed to find something related to this?

Thanks!

Nicolas Viennot

Apr 14, 2020, 6:36:44 PM4/14/20
to bt.se...@gmail.com, tmate.io
Hello guys,

I don't have time to write proper documentation. It would probably take me 4 hours.
I highly recommend that you start the whole setup with tilt. (see "Development Environment" on tmate.io).
And then try to port the setup to your production server.

I will try to be more helpful, and find 4 hours somewhere at some point.

Sorry,
Nico

sergio borghese

Aug 6, 2020, 4:11:19 AM8/6/20
to tmate.io
Hello Nicolas,

thanks for the hint. Will try to follow your suggestion and post any results/finding here for the community benefit

Best Regards
Sergio

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 12:36:44 AM UTC+2, Nicolas Viennot wrote:
Hello guys,

I don't have time to write proper documentation. It would probably take me 4 hours.
I highly recommend that you start the whole setup with tilt. (see "Development Environment" on tmate.io).
And then try to port the setup to your production server.

I will try to be more helpful, and find 4 hours somewhere at some point.

Sorry,
Nico

pieter robberechts

Nov 10, 2020, 7:43:48 PM11/10/20
to tmate.io
Hi Sergio,

I'm interested in the websocket integration too. Do you have any findings yet?

Thanks,
Pieter

Anand Parthasarathi

Feb 19, 2021, 12:43:14 PM2/19/21
to tmate.io
Hi All,

I am interested in the WebSocket server hosting also, kindly let me know if you have any inputs. Thanks in advance.

Anand Parthasarathi

Feb 20, 2021, 2:22:23 PM2/20/21
to tmate.io
I was able to use the tilt dev environment and setup a WebSocket server at a specific DNS name.

However, I am not able to serve the tmate connection over websockets.  I am sure I am missing something.

Any guidance on a quick Production setup will be helpful. Or if the tmate server hosting info on one of the production server could be shared, will be helpful to host in a standalone k8s cluster.

Nicolas Viennot

Feb 20, 2021, 4:25:31 PM2/20/21
to Anand Parthasarathi, tmate.io

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tmate-io/653d460e-683d-4038-878b-b0bce9b1cb14n%40googlegroups.com.

Anand Parthasarathi

Feb 22, 2021, 11:28:10 AM2/22/21
to tmate.io
Thanks Nicolas for your response. I don't see the postgres DB manifest in. Is there an alternate DB used in prod ?

Nicolas Viennot

Feb 22, 2021, 11:29:28 AM2/22/21
to Anand Parthasarathi, tmate.io
I'm using the digital ocean db they offer as a service