Israel Only TIthed for 5 Years at a Time

jared

Dec 19, 2011, 2:57:12 PM12/19/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
I need everyone's input.

i want to bring attention to you an issue that i need further confirmation for. I addressed this in my blog post, but many of you did not read it, and only Victor has responded. It is the idea that Israel only tithed for 5 years from the produce of their fields, as opposed to 6. Please read  Leviticus 25:20-22 “And if you say, “What shall we eat in the seventh year, since we shall not sow nor gather in our produce?” ’Then I will command My blessing on you in the sixth year, and it will bring forth produce enough for three years. And you shall sow in the eighth year, and eat old produce until the ninth year; until its produce comes in, you shall eat [of] the old [harvest].

In summary the passage starts out with Israel wondering what are they going to eat the 7th year (sabbatical)? God then states that he will bless them in the sixth year enough to feed them into the ninth year (three years later). The issue is that Israel had nothing to harvest from their fields until the ninth year. This is known because the bible directly says that they would eat "old produce" until the ninth year.

So a couple of things to think about - One, Did Israel actually only tithe for 5 years. And Two, Since the ninth year was the first opportunity to tithe bring the whole in three years, could this be why the third year was the "year of tithing"?

- jared