Invitation to TideSDK group

fairwinds

Jun 10, 2012, 3:23:45 PM6/10/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi. We are taking the steps necessary to ensure that TideSDK becomes a success. Over the past few days we have successfully built for all platforms we support and are currently evaluating the quality of the builds. We have other news and will keep the community appraised of developments. Our objective is a release candidate within the next week and to release release quickly and often. We have identified and documented our short term goals and plans. You are invited to join us at our new mailing list home and drop in to our irc channel at #tidesdk on freenode.

Chris Banford [Webascent]

Jun 10, 2012, 4:20:23 PM6/10/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

This is all looking very positive & promising -- must admit I didn't expect the project to survive after the last months...

Thanks very much for the effort and the information. I'm looking greatly forward to giving TiDesk a whirl as soon as you get these initial build steps ironed out.

Good luck!
-Chris

--

*******************
Chris Banford

Tom Jeffries

Jun 10, 2012, 4:49:16 PM6/10/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com, ch...@dihedrals.com, fairwi...@gmail.com
David, this is very good news, and I appreciate your efforts to make this happen..

Is there a place where I can do some research on the relationship between the desktop and mobile platforms?  We're trying to cover both desktops and mobiles with one code base and I'm hoping we can do that with TideSDK.

Thanks, Tom Jeffries

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM, fairwinds <fairwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. We are taking the steps necessary to ensure that TideSDK becomes a success. Over the past few days we have successfully built for all platforms we support and are currently evaluating the quality of the builds. We have other news and will keep the community appraised of developments. Our objective is a release candidate within the next week and to release release quickly and often. We have identified and documented our short term goals and plans. You are invited to join us at our new mailing list home and drop in to our irc channel at #tidesdk on freenode.

--
Tom Jeffries, Founder and CEO
Skype tjeffries

Paco Zarate

Jun 11, 2012, 1:24:38 AM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com, ch...@dihedrals.com, fairwi...@gmail.com
Hey Tom,
Maintaining the same style and api's between Desktop and Mobile is really important for this project to be successful. Devs can learn one framework and have the basics on the learning curve for the other.

You can check the appcelerator dev site:
http://docs.appcelerator.com/titanium/2.0/#!/api  - Mobile
http://developer.appcelerator.com/apidoc/desktop/latest/Titanium.UI-module - Desktop
Maybe this can be helpful also:
https://wiki.appcelerator.org/display/guides/Quick+Start

Thanks for getting involved!

PM

Jun 11, 2012, 6:57:02 AM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Great news : )

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 5:17:32 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris. A small group has been working hard to move the project forward and ensure the necessary elements are in place to see it succeed - pretty much going till 4am many days.

We had made a request from Appcelerator today to establish a budget for our CI system for our automated builds that would be tied to commits from git. This is important tooling we need. Indeed Appcelerator had in place a similar setup to support this type of project. Kevin has come back with a rejection on the start up cost of 2104.00 tand the ongoing 797.00 we need to maintain a system.

This is a major disappointment. Kevin will be making some sort of official comment on this. I don't want this to dampen our efforts but we will be attempting to understand how we can best move forward without the financial support we need and we believed was committed..

Regards,
David

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 5:29:36 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com, ch...@dihedrals.com, fairwi...@gmail.com
Hi Tom. This is an important issue for my development also and you can currently compare the documentation on the API's. In my own development I am also concerned with an MVC patterns and using same code everywhere. I am quite close on this actually across all platforms and os's. It is a bit of a holy grail to get there. I hope to have something to show on this front in the near future (that is outside my role with TideSDK). That said, TideSDK is important for a variety of reasons and has unique capabilities lacking from a pure HTML, CSS and JS framework and I hope to demonstrate these things more fully at some point.

Regards
David

Tom Jeffries

Jun 11, 2012, 5:38:05 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
David, if it helps, let Kevin know that for many companies the possibility of using Tide is a key issue in deciding whether or not to use Titanium.  They may not have direct evidence of that, but from our point of view if we don't have a single platform for both desktop and mobile there's no reason not to do straight native development.

Tide is a HUGE advantage, I hope he doesn't decide throw it in the trash for a relatively small sum.

Micheal Cottingham

Jun 11, 2012, 6:00:36 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
That, Tom, is I think key for Appcelerator to understand. Nevermind how angry they made their users, they are actually potentially losing sales on the mobile side because of dumping the desktop.

Micheal

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 6:21:04 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
The key issue at this point is that we are really concerned about the necessary resources. I did not believe this level of support to be an issue. So we seem to be at a strange crossroads where on one hand we have the determination and folks to execute the vision. On the other, without the critical resources and tooling that we need to execute on this properly. A project such as this need continuous integration to fully understand impacts on code changes upon the os's as we work with the code.

Further we believed the notion of continuing to provide network builds would be a cooperative arrangement between Appcelerator and the our project. The servers we have requested could also help in this role. So I am disappointed. I will wait for what will become an official position from Appcelerator on this list before I can determine what is next but will persevere I believe with community support like this so thank you.

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 6:30:05 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com, ch...@dihedrals.com, fairwi...@gmail.com
Hi yes. This is an important consideration for sure and we have also been clear about ensuring the Ti namespace is consistent so there is continuity for your projects. There are many interesting capabilities to extend the native functionality on the desktop further that it is today giving folks more choices about how they may which to implement a project. Ensuring we have a stable, capable, desktop solution with the same ease and comfort as mobile is clearly part of the vision I share for the project.

David

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 6:30:56 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
heh, I am looking forward for sure.

David

Michael Battalio

Jun 11, 2012, 6:38:51 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic news.  Thank you, fairwinds and others, for coming in and saving this project.  As soon as you get the builds working, you core guys should figure out, as you've mentioned before, what we little people who have very little knowledge of the lower level code can do to help.  From the last few weeks on this board, it seems that there are a lot of people like me who want to help but aren't all that great at the underlying code; we just need a specific list of what we can do to help, if there is anything.

As far as the financial situation goes, and this has been mentioned before, but why not put up some sort of donation system?  I have no idea what kind of limits all of the open source licensing places on donation, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to put up some small amount of money for the bug hunters.  I agree that Appcelerator should be the primary donators, but they seem to be foolishly stubborn about giving this project any money, much to their own determent it appears.  So why can't the community step up and reward those working on the project?  I'm a college student, and I would.

Again, I can't encourage those of you who are working on this enough.  There are a lot of small time developers counting on you.  Thanks.

Michael B.

fairwinds

Jun 11, 2012, 6:57:08 PM6/11/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael. Thank you for your words of support. We are waiting for a clear formal position from Kevin who has committed to posting here today. This will make it clear where we are on the financial issues. On the help, there will be plenty of possibilites. We are setting things up to enable this. You will see stubs on the wiki where we will be filling these pages quite soon.

Some key areas are small code examples, documentation, translation, tutorials to help others. We are in process of putting some orientations together so that it will enable folks to jump in and be productive right away.There are also possibilities for help on marketing efforts such as tweeting and blogging and even graphic art, We want the installers and icons and such to be beautiful. As soon as we are ready, we will be making the requests. I expect it will be will be quite soon.

PM

Jun 12, 2012, 4:36:58 AM6/12/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Guys once again thanks for all your efforts.

@Michael Battalio totally agree with you.

Is there a final logo already?

Peter

Tom Jeffries

Jun 14, 2012, 12:20:43 PM6/14/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Is there final word on this?  Is Appcelerator willing to provide the needed resources?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM, fairwinds <fairwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. We are taking the steps necessary to ensure that TideSDK becomes a success. Over the past few days we have successfully built for all platforms we support and are currently evaluating the quality of the builds. We have other news and will keep the community appraised of developments. Our objective is a release candidate within the next week and to release release quickly and often. We have identified and documented our short term goals and plans. You are invited to join us at our new mailing list home and drop in to our irc channel at #tidesdk on freenode.

Paco Zarate

Jun 14, 2012, 1:12:27 PM6/14/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
They will be sending a statement to clarify their support position.
Kevin is working on that. He has talked with us about Appcelerator trying to find some ways to support the project.

Paco.