Project lead

Kevin Whinnery

Feb 21, 2012, 10:51:03 AM2/21/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Putting out the call once again for people to nominate themselves as a project lead.  To summarize my last message on this topic, I think that before we go to far down the road of creating a governance structure, we should establish a "meritocracy" of people actually contributing to the Desktop project.

Are there any brave souls who wish to take on the role of technical lead for Desktop?  To my mind, this person would need to:

- Create consensus (as much as possible) around a roadmap for the next two releases at a high level
- Create a backlog of work items to be completed for a "next release"
- Coordinate the execution of those work items

Thanks, and please let me know what you think.  I don't want to lose momentum with this group, and I think now is the time for concrete action.

--
Kevin Whinnery

Boydlee

Feb 21, 2012, 12:20:08 PM2/21/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
Hi,

I am willing to help out as much as possible - I have a client who
still wants to continue using Titanium Desktop (for the forseeable
future, too late to retract their plans and build on another platform
at this point).

I will say though that:

a) My time is limited
b) I have only used Titanium Desktop in a minor capacity prior to
building for this client recently so my knowledge is bound to be far
less superior to some other devs out there

That said, I am willing to help moderate and organize this effort.

Thanks,
Boydlee

On Feb 21, 3:51 pm, Kevin Whinnery <kevin.whinn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Putting out the call once again for people to nominate themselves as a
> project lead.  To summarize my last message on this topic, I think that
> before we go to far down the road of creating a governance structure, we
> should establish a "meritocracy" of people actually contributing to the
> Desktop project.
>
> Are there any brave souls who wish to take on the role of technical lead
> for Desktop?  To my mind, this person would need to:
>
> - Create consensus (as much as possible) around a roadmap for the next two
> releases at a high level
> - Create a backlog of work items to be completed for a "next release"
> - Coordinate the execution of those work items
>
> Thanks, and please let me know what you think.  I don't want to lose
> momentum with this group, and I think now is the time for concrete action.
>
> --
> Kevin Whinnery
> Director of Developer Relations
> Appcelerator Inc.http://appcelerator.com

Kevin Whinnery

Feb 21, 2012, 1:30:23 PM2/21/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
If you're essentially willing to be the administrative lead and help define the roadmap and rally dev efforts, I would think that puts you in the running.  Let's see who else replies..

-Kevin

Boydlee

Feb 21, 2012, 1:49:33 PM2/21/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
Yes, I can supply some cloud servers and other infrastructure to start
to get things sorted out, but I'd like to see a few guys (or girls)
with more experience in Ti Desktop than me throw their hands up to be
technical leads.

Russell Leggett

Feb 21, 2012, 2:04:59 PM2/21/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a lot of time or experience either, but I have a vision of what I would want it to be. I would rather make time for it than see the project die, but I would rather hang back until I have some more time. As I said in a previous email, I've used TiDe before and found it wanting, but I think it has a ton of potential. It is definitely a platform I would love to work with/on, I'm just in the middle of about 4 projects right now plus kids and that doesn't leave a lot of room ;)

- Russ

Hugo Rodrigues

Feb 21, 2012, 2:52:56 PM2/21/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
Hello Kevin,

I'm glad to see activity in this project and i HOPE many people reply
to your call.

Titanium Desktop is a great project and i don't see any (real) project
competitor in this specific area (Air sucks).
I have developed a couple of apps using air and Titanium. Titanium is
very very best, so i know this project have a good foundation.

I'm not applying myself to project lead because i don't fell
comfortable with C++, and i believe a real leader should know (almost)
everything about the project.

But i'm volunteering to help this project. My skills to this project:
- Javascript
- System Administrator
- Linux
- Osx

I also have some ideias:
- Titanium is all about JS and this project should embrace node.js
community.
That's the most growing community right now and has a great ecosystem,
lot's of talent and many people willing to hack things in JS.

- The SDK should delegate more power to the javascript side and less
in c++ side, that way MANY people will contribute to the sdk/core.

- One top priority should be making the deployment process more
transparent.
We should be able to easily "compile" our project to different
platforms. In Mac it's easy, but the windows process is a real pain
(and poorly documented) since it involves generating Installer
packages. I believe everything should be more decoupled, just like the
mac deploy, everything should happen inside a "folder" and be
portable.

- Since appcelerator is leaving the project, we really should refactor
the update process. We should give the developer all he needs to
update their apps and sdk (from their private servers).

If everything fails:
- I really hope that appcelerator don't let this project die and make
some paid licensees like the mobile version. I'm willing to pay.
- If this really dies, i hope the Titanium community starts a new
project, based on node.js, since it has all the low level OS
operations (Filesystem, etc) and lots of other features like Titanium
has (webserver, etc) and this new titanium should only focus in webkit
integration and OS specific features (Notifications, window mannager,
etc)

Best Regards,
HR

On Feb 21, 3:51 pm, Kevin Whinnery <kevin.whinn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Putting out the call once again for people to nominate themselves as a
> project lead.  To summarize my last message on this topic, I think that
> before we go to far down the road of creating a governance structure, we
> should establish a "meritocracy" of people actually contributing to the
> Desktop project.
>
> Are there any brave souls who wish to take on the role of technical lead
> for Desktop?  To my mind, this person would need to:
>
> - Create consensus (as much as possible) around a roadmap for the next two
> releases at a high level
> - Create a backlog of work items to be completed for a "next release"
> - Coordinate the execution of those work items
>
> Thanks, and please let me know what you think.  I don't want to lose
> momentum with this group, and I think now is the time for concrete action.
>
> --
> Kevin Whinnery
> Director of Developer Relations
> Appcelerator Inc.http://appcelerator.com

Boydlee

Feb 22, 2012, 4:19:34 AM2/22/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
I agree with Hugo, for the most part I'd like to see a step away from
the inclusion of all these additional languages (ruby, php, python) to
concentrating more on the JS side of things.

I have nothing against the server-side languages (I love php) but I
think that's way too much technical knowledge for a project that's
still in its infancy, especially when it's being handled now by a
community that's not very organised yet.

I haven't done much with Node.JS but have heard good things.

I also have 10+ years experience in the .NET world so I am sure
between myself and others we could come up with a way to repackage for
Windows if that is wanted.

- Boydlee

Hugo Rodrigues

Feb 22, 2012, 4:04:42 PM2/22/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
Your "10+ years experience in the .NET" make you the perfect technical
leader/dev for the windows platform.

Kevin Whinnery

Feb 22, 2012, 4:56:40 PM2/22/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
To further throw Boydlee under the bus, I think he would make a great project lead.

I don't think the lead has to have perfect knowledge of the platform and how to code everything, but we do need someone with a good top down view of the project, who owns the roadmap and lays out what needs to be done (by someone, not necessarily them).

pkorzeniewski

Feb 24, 2012, 3:48:50 AM2/24/12
to Titanium Desktop Transition
In my opinion the first thing to do is updating the WebKit to the
newest version on all platforms - it's the key feature of Titanium
Desktop and it should be kept up-to-date.

On 22 Lut, 22:56, Kevin Whinnery <kevin.whinn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To further throw Boydlee under the bus, I think he would make a great
> project lead.
>
> I don't think the lead has to have perfect knowledge of the platform and
> how to code everything, but we do need someone with a good top down view of
> the project, who owns the roadmap and lays out what needs to be done (by
> someone, not necessarily them).

Dan Tamas

Feb 24, 2012, 3:49:58 AM2/24/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com

Matthew Dean

Mar 5, 2012, 1:10:52 PM3/5/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Exactly. Getting Chromium Embedded working on all platforms (a consistent and stable across-the-board version of Webkit) is priority numero uno. That, and an actual release that includes said working code so that I can FINALLY move my project from Adobe AIR before this transition started happening. I've been waiting for months to actually USE Titanium Desktop.

Micheal

Jun 2, 2012, 2:15:17 PM6/2/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I want to see Ruby, PHP, and Python left in there. node.js aside, JavaScript cannot accomplish the tasks that I need accomplished. There are Ruby Gems I need, for example, and being able to write desktop apps in something other than jRuby would be great ...

PM

Jun 6, 2012, 6:39:33 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I don't have much time and core knowledge to assume a role in this project other than being a USER.

Many of my clients still need quick, easy, reliable and not so expansive solutions for their daily needs. What I offer is great UI experience and really quick and solid solutions. Actually I compete with really high end programming companies that are simply to expensive. So I definitely need something like Titanium Desktop / TiDesktop LOL

I used to work with mProjector and and Adobe Flash, but the support is really poor to a point were I can't even have get an answer with what is my key registration code for the software that I paid. Adobe Air not a solution since it depends on the plugin instillation and because it is ADOBE, lol to expensive (Same for mProjector).

I love Titanium approach, there are several improvements needed, but it's in the right direction to my business core.

I can offer design and UI solution as a forum member in order to share small packages that help new user start their projects quickly and not run away because of a bad first experience (I saw Macromedia Flash 3 evolve to what it is today 'also' because of the growing community).

Could there be a donation button via Paypal? Don't have the amount I see on this post above but I have the will to contribute. When ever I sell a project I always donate to the related open source team. This makes me fill comfortable with the fact that everybody wins. If all users would do so you would get the money you need to stay alive : ) Hope so!

Best
Peter

Alain Ekambi

Jun 6, 2012, 6:43:27 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Yeah we are all waiting to see where TiDesk  is heading.
But FYI
Adobe AIR is not a plugin. It s a runtime just like Titanium Desktop (Almost)  and last time i checked it was free to use :)

PM

Jun 6, 2012, 7:05:15 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alain,

Yes you're right but still Adobe Flash CS3 cost ~$699 and you need to continuing paying to have the updates and new futures.
Adobe Air is not the solution I'm looking for. I want to draw, develop and have the client install and not worry about gathering several dependency so that the projects runs. Titanium was really nice at this part. Made it easy to deliver the full package. That's it, have fun. I want my apps to install and uninstall just by using one file. Not a set of them.

Any way I agree with you, thanks for the information.

Cheers
PM

Carlos Hernández Gómez

Jun 6, 2012, 7:06:01 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you can try with App.js or Pokki.

2012/6/6 PM <monte...@gmail.com>

--
---------------------------------------

PM

Jun 6, 2012, 7:35:25 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alain, really nice but not the solution.

I understand all these platforms and apps when it comes to develop for a community of users to, for example, make a software that reads your Gmail. It's public and available for everyone.
Let me put it this way. A factory needs a software to specifically manipulate bitmap data in its production and spit reports to a data base. Do you really think that installing a platform like Pokki would be a nice solution were you would have games and social apps sharing the same public space? It's private and specific.

Now the Cordova sounds really nice but I lack the skills to understand how things work in order just to give the first steps. With Titanium I install it, create a project, define the platform, start coding in html/css/javascript/some vbs, compile it and that's it! It even creates an installer and uninstaller in only one file and permits automatic updates. In my mProjector I tried to create an installer/uninstaller and I went nuts :D LOL

Cheers Alain
Peter

PM

Jun 6, 2012, 7:45:22 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Alain, my email was for @k4rliky. : )

fairwinds

Jun 6, 2012, 8:53:51 AM6/6/12
to titanium-desk...@googlegroups.com
Alain, If you are concerned about future of TiDesk, please vote up post on community q & a and help keep the issue front and center until there is some type of meaningful commitment from Appcelerator for the transition. Without it, the project is dead. I have asked that the legal issues be resolved, that they donate to the project to kickstart interest with hard core developers in the code base so we can offer bounties for bug fixes, and provided some type of informal link to the project for questions developers will have concerning the builds on areas of the code which are reasonable efforts to get the ball rolling.

The licensing issue around it at this point makes it questionable whether anyone will invest time in the code base at this point also which must be resolved immediately if there to be any hope at all.