rfc: x64 build of Tise

Grigory Mokhin

Sep 11, 2010, 1:49:47 PM9/11/10
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tise Users,

There is some good news.

I'm very sorry for long silence in this group. Now my life is more
stable, I've got a Windows 7 machine, and I have some free time to
look into long-time pending issues with Tise. As far as I understand,
the most outstanding and demanding issue is with 64-bit platforms.

Would you kindly share some comments about whether you are still using
Tise, and if yes, on what platforms?

I've got Tise working just fine after rebuild on my 32-bit platform
Windows 7, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't run on a 64-bit
platform, Windows Vista or Windows 7, after rebuild. Unfortunately I
don't have a 64-bit machine at hand and can't test it. I need your
help with testing.

Last but not least, big thanks to all who had encouraged me to proceed
with this project. A programmer of a free software always needs some
feedback to feel that his efforts are useful for the community.

Tise is free and will always be free, but I'd like to use this
opportunity to express my thanks to people who kindly donated some
money for Tise to my paypal account.

Regards,
Grigory

Fabrizio Romano

Sep 12, 2010, 5:02:52 AM9/12/10
to Tise Development
Hello Grigory,

I'm glad to hear your life has got better!
I'm using tise on a win7 x86 machine and I have used it on vista and
xp too, without any problem.
Long ago I was one of those who asked for a x64 version of tise
because I had a x64 notebook.
Well, I really needed to use tise on my notebook so I sold it and
bought a new one, a x86, therefore now I don't own a x64 machine any
more, and I won't be able to help you testing on that.

If you need help with aspects other than the x64 thing, I'll be more
than happy to help, if I can.

Kind regards,
Fabrizio

Christopher Bell

Sep 13, 2010, 9:34:50 AM9/13/10
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
I have a 64-bit Windows 7 system and would be glad to help test it!

Chris Bell

Christopher Fynn

Sep 14, 2010, 12:29:52 AM9/14/10
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Grigory

Although most people in Bhutan use the simple Dzongkha keyboard for
Windows (http://www.dzongkha.gov.bt/IT/download/DzongkhaKeyboard-Win.zip)
- there are also quite a number of monks and others here who know
Wylie and prefer to use Tise.

As 64 bit Windows 7 laptops are starting to appear here, and these
same people are often the ones who have them, a 64 bit compatible
version of TISE would certainly be welcome useful.

with best regards

Chris Fynn

Christopher Fynn

Sep 14, 2010, 2:14:56 AM9/14/10
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Grigory

I don't know the details, but Windows 7 also seems to have a new text
framework that does not depend on Uniscribe (usp10.dll) for complex
script rendering - I think there is also an input side to this text
framework which could be used to implement a Wylie input method
without the complication of setting keyboard hooks etc.

- Chris

Cory Leistikow

Sep 14, 2010, 3:38:31 AM9/14/10
to Tise Development
I also am on a windows 7 64. I have been using keyman since tise
didn't work on it, but am happy to switch back!