TISE + Arial Unicode conflict?

Grace Wiersma

Apr 17, 2008, 8:37:10 PM4/17/08
to tise-...@googlegroups.com

Hello members,

I’ve joined the group to ask for some help as I explore acquiring a Tibetan font and input method for my own private/scholarly use. So far I am looking only at the fonts available at the THDL (UVA). My systems are Windows XP and VISTA. It seems that the freeware font I can easily download from THDL is Tibetan Machine Uni, which can work as the source font for input via Tise. But, I saw a troubling sentence in the description of Tise, namely: Make sure that Arial Unicode font is not installed, otherwise it will interfere with proper operation of Tibetan Machine Uni font.

So apparently I cannot use Tise to input Tibetan using the Wylie system. The Arial Unicode MS font is essential for many of my tasks. Or, have I misunderstood something?

Thanks for any help,

Grace Wiersma
Cataloging & Metadata Services
MIT Libraries
gwie...@mit.edu
(617) 253-0643

Grigory Mokhin

Apr 18, 2008, 11:12:53 AM4/18/08
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Arial Unicode is an old huge font (arialuni.ttf, 23 MB) that is
normally not installed by default. It is not essential for anything.
Arial font is different from Arial Unicode, it is installed by default
and it is used for many tasks. However, on my current XP system I have
Arial Unicode installed, and it doesn't prevent Tise from functioning
properly. Arial Unicode was chosen automatically by some applications
in the past instead of Tibetan Machine Uni. Uninstall it if it creates
problems.

Regards,
Gregory

Chris Fynn

Oct 29, 2008, 11:13:50 AM10/29/08
to Grace Wiersma, tise-...@googlegroups.com
If the Arial Unicode MS font is installed on a Windows XP system
before Tibetan fonts are installed some Windows applications will keep
trying to default to Arial Unicode whenever you type Tibetan.

- Chris