tipfy vs webapp2

molicule

Oct 13, 2010, 11:16:23 AM10/13/10
to tipfy
Hi,

I'm starting a new project and was trying to figure out which
framework to use.

I like webapp2 as it is closer to webapp, but tipfy has some features
like
sesions etc. that I'd like to use and the fact is it has batteries
included i.e.
facebook, twitter, oauth etc.

Also speed is an issue, would webapp2 be significantly faster than
tipfy?
Are there plans to incrementally port functionality from tipfy to
webapp2?

What suggestions would you have?

Thanks

Stephen Gornick

Oct 17, 2010, 1:51:59 AM10/17/10
to tipfy

Tom

Jul 10, 2011, 8:26:26 PM7/10/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Webapp2 has seen a lot of development.  Can anyone answer the question today: why use one over the other.  I just realised that Rodrigo is the same guy leading both projects.  Why have both?  and How should someone choose?

Rodrigo Moraes

Jul 16, 2011, 4:20:37 AM7/16/11
to tipfy
At this point I highly recommend webapp2. Most tipfy features were
ported to it.

An important point is that webapp2 is compatible with webapp, so you
can use all App Engine docs and webapp examples with it, and current
(and future) SDK handlers will work out of the box with webapp2. Also
Google plans to include webapp2 in the SDK, so it is definitely a good
bet for the future (this is extra-official, don't quote me :).

-- rodrigo

James D

Jul 17, 2011, 1:50:47 AM7/17/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
This would be a good thing to note on the Tipfy website. I spent a frustrating hour trying to reconcile what the Tipfy documentation said with reality. If I'd realized that Tipfy maintenance had taken a backseat to webapp2, I'd have started with that to being with.

Rodrigo Moraes

Jul 17, 2011, 3:20:12 AM7/17/11
to tipfy
Hi,
I'm sorry about this. I have been honest about this when people ask me
directly or during IRC talks, and even wrote about the situation to
this list a while ago, but I should indeed add a note to the website.

-- rodrigo

Tom

Jul 17, 2011, 8:23:17 AM7/17/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Rodrigo,

 Thanks for the info.  Congratulations on Google's adopting your framework.  That really says something!

-Tom

Stephan

Jul 18, 2011, 3:59:12 AM7/18/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rodrigo. I, too, would like to see a clarification on tipfy.org. I tried to follow tipfy Twitter account and the webpage to stay up-to-date with the news around tipfy. It would be much better to know about webapp2 on tipfy's website.

Will there ever be a tipfy 1.0 final?

Thanks for your work
Stephan

Rodrigo Moraes

Jul 18, 2011, 8:17:19 AM7/18/11
to tipfy
On Jul 18, 4:59 am, Stephan wrote:
> Thanks, Rodrigo. I, too, would like to see a clarification on tipfy.org.

It is official. I added big colored note to the site.

> Will there ever be a tipfy 1.0 final?

I consider tipfy stable as it is, except for the auth package. I would
like to remove it from tipfy before a final release, if it won't ever
be finished.

-- rodrigo