Microsoft Hyper-v Network Switch Default Miniport Driver Windows 8.1 16

Message has been deleted

Srikanth Fonseca

Jul 11, 2024, 6:45:32 AM (12 days ago) Jul 11
to tioliffewa

When you have Hyper-V running on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 together with Broadcom NetXtreme 1-gigabit network adapters (but not NetXtreme II network adapters), you may notice one or more of the following symptoms:

Virtual machines may randomly lose network connectivity. The network adapter seems to be working in the virtual machine. However, you can't ping or access network resources from the virtual machine. Restarting the virtual machine doesn't resolve the issue.

microsoft hyper-v network switch default miniport driver windows 8.1 16

DOWNLOAD https://jinyurl.com/2yMUPU

You can't ping or connect to a virtual machine from a remote computer. These symptoms may occur on some or all virtual machines on the server that's running Hyper-V. Restarting the server immediately resolves network connectivity to all the virtual machines.

It's a known issue with Broadcom NetXtreme 1-gigabit network adapters that use the b57nd60a.sys driver. This issue will occur when virtual machine queue (VMQ) is enabled on the network adapter. (By default, VMQ is enabled by the Broadcom network driver.)

These network adapters are also sold under different model numbers by some server OEMs. HP sells these drivers under model numbers NC1xx, NC3xx, and NC7xx. You may be using driver version 16.2, 16.4, or 16.6, depending on which OEM version you're using or whether you're using the Broadcom driver version.

This issue is resolved in Broadcom driver b57nd60a.sys version 16.8 and newer. In March 2015, Broadcom published driver version 17.0 for download. In April 2015, HP published version 16.8 of the driver for their affected network adapters. Contact your server OEM if you need a driver that's specific to your server.

If you can't update your network adapter driver to resolve the issue, you can work around the issue by disabling VMQ on each affected Broadcom network adapter by using the Set-NetAdapterVmq PowerShell command.

By default, VMQ is disabled on the Hyper-V virtual switch for virtual machines that are using 1-gigabit network adapters. VMQ is enabled on a Hyper-V virtual switch only when the system is using 10-gigabit or faster network adapters. This means that by disabling VMQ on the Broadcom network adapter, you aren't losing network performance or any other benefits because this is the default. However, you need to do this to work around the driver issue.

A network adapter that supports the VMQ interface includes hardware that routes packets to receive queues. This requires parsing of the packet header and configuration of the queues on the network adapter.

In the figure, the miniport driver for the physical network adapter indicates received data up to the Hyper-V extensible switch component. This component acts as a network virtual service provider (NetVSP) and provides services to support networking access by the Hyper-V child partitions.

The services that the extensible switch provides includes routing packets to and from the virtual machine (VM) network adapters in the guest operating systems. The VM network adapter is exposed by the network virtual service client (NetVSC) that runs in the guest operating system.

Under VMQ, the physical network adapter transfers the data that matches a receive filter test for a VMQ directly to that queue. This prevents software processing in the extensible switch. Data that does not pass any filter tests goes to the default queue where the extensible switch must process the data. In addition to preventing the routing and copying in the extensible switch, the receive interrupts for VM queues are assigned to different processors.

I was trying to restore my hyper-v virtual switch network. it was working fine before the last windows 10 Pro update. I was able to bind the External Virtual Switch to my Wireless NIC which is AC3165. however, after windows updates. my network settings was not working. when I tried to restore the configuration, I got errors like "Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes failed whiled adding virtual Ethernet switch connection (0x80070490) " and after I use the Microsoft resolution to run "MicrosoftEasyFix20159.mini.diagcab", then try to do the same setup for the External Virtual Switch, it give me the error like " Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes. The operation failed because the object was not found. " I tired. 1. "netcfg -d" 2. uninstall and reinstall the "Hypver-v" 3. use Microsofteasyfix20159.mini.diagcab none of these above worked out for me. please help and give me some clue where I should tune to make it work again.

Essentially, open up your adapters page, go back to create your external switch as you would expect, but whilst the software is still trying to configure the switch, head back to the adapters page, disable your wifi card, enable it again and you'll find that your switch will now be configured and working.

yeah, I agree, it sounds silly, but it will worth a try. I was in a rush do some test at that moment. so had to move on to virtual box. but I'll give it try next time, when I do the Hyper-v. thanks again.

Thirdly, try to use PowerShell commands to get the information of your network adapter and Hyper-V virtual switch to see whether you have actually created successfully. Then try to use PowerShell to setup an external virtual switch.
A To get the information: Get-VMNetworkAdapter
B To create an external virtual switch: New-VMSwitch -name ExternalSwitch -NetAdapterName Ethernet -AllowManagementOS $true

If you still cannot work out the problem, then I am afraid that it is quite hard to solve the non-compatibility issue with wireless NIC. The usual answers of driver updates, software version updates help some but for those trying these ways from a wireless network adapter there seems no solid fix.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I used to have Wireshark and NMap installed, however, before I bind the external switch with my WiFi card, I already removed them and did run the Microsofteasyfix20159.mini.diagcab as well.

I ended up with setting up the network share as a workaround. but I don't think this is would be a permanent solution though. it's very inconvenient especially when I want to work with multiple machines at home lab.

Finally the issue started to show up online, I have been struggling with it since May and contacting MS was of no use. Actually, it started after 2004 update, before that everything was working flawlessly. It is not clear whether it is the update the has something broken or it is Intel that is expected to update their drivers somehow. Bridging wifi is still working with many older wifi devices on other machines on 2004. Anyway, to reinstate the connection after the failure of bridging the wifi, it is just enough (most of the time) to disable the wifi and re-enable it then the buggy bridge will show up so that you can delete it.

Thank you, These steps literally helped. I mean I Disabled my Wifi Adapter first, then tried to make the switch. Once it completed(and successfully!), I enable my Wifi and back online I was. Next to check to see if VM can use it. Thank you!

Thank you so much. Your instruction was hard to find. After many days of searching I found this article and decided on a whim to look through the comments. Your solution working after days and days of trying.

so during the process of adding the external switch with the intel wifi adapter right after hitting apply or OK, disable the network adapter on the host and re-enable right away. I was able to get it to bind successfully. It seems like a process flow check that fails because it cannot detect the Network Bridge before creating the External Virtual Switch. Disable/Enable the wifi adapter allows the creation and deletion of the Network Bridge as Aena mentioned above.

I struggled with this error for 3 days, but finally I found a solution. The solution was to uninstall VPN clients that were building their own virtual network adapters. With the list of network connections clean, adding a virtual wi-fi switch to Hyper-V went smoothly

Tried this disable/enable WiFi Adapter just after clicking create new switch in hyper-v virtual switch manager and in powershell. (and completely disabling it while create is running as that seems to have worked for one guy)

Downloaded and tried the Microsoft fix but that just seems to remove ALL network interfaces and no amount of detect hardware gets them back so reverted to the restore point it had created. Tried network reset which had the same issue and had to revert to system restore point.

Many virtual administrators are still unfamiliar with Single Root I/O Virtualization Microsoft introduced in Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. The SR-IOV specification was designed by PCI-SIG to allow a PCI device to appear as multiple physical devices, which, in turn, helps reduce the latency and increase I/O throughput. In simple terms, SR-IOV-capable PCI devices can present multiple virtual channels to SR-IOV capable drivers for direct communication.

Technically, there are two functions implemented by SR-IOV: physical functions (PFs) and virtual functions (VFs). There are a number of PCI devices available in which the PFs have been implemented, but Microsoft Hyper-V provides SR-IOV support only for networking. In other words, Microsoft Hyper-V provides VFs to allow VMs to communicate to the physical network adapters directly.

There are two drivers implemented by Microsoft Hyper-V to enable the SR-IOV function: the PF Miniport Driver running in the Hyper-V parent partition and the VF Miniport Driver running in each guest. The PF and VF relationship is very similar to the VSP-VSC design in Hyper-V, with one exception. In the case of the VSP-VSC design, a VSC component running in a VM talks to the corresponding VSP running in the Hyper-V parent partition via the VMBus communication channel, whereas, in the case of the PF-VF architecture, the VF in a VM talks to VF implemented in the SR-IOV-capable network adapters. The VF miniport driver running in a guest can directly read and write to VFs implemented in SR-IOV-capable network adapters. However, the PF Miniport Driver, which is implemented in the Hyper-V parent partition, is responsible for handling and terminating these requests as and when needed.

b1e95dc632