To remind everyone what I'm working on:

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Jun 15, 2011, 5:59:50 PM6/15/11
to tinygames
http://gregdek.org/MONGO/akihabara/game-mongo.html

Available mostly from:

https://github.com/gregdek/akihabara

There are some external dependencies to jquery and some other local
stuff that I haven't committed -- need to figure out how to fix that,
so that people can just deploy and have it "just work". But something
to play with and point to people. More work coming here.

--g

widged

Jun 16, 2011, 8:06:26 AM6/16/11
to tinygames
Have a look at :
http://rpgjs.com/
A lot more fluid and more pleasant to play.

On Jun 16, 9:59 am, Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsb...@gmail.com>

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Jun 16, 2011, 8:55:27 AM6/16/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com
Ah, nice! Is this a straight port of RPG Maker XP?

I will definitely look into this. I'm not so wedded to anything we've
got so far with Akihabara that I'm not ok with throwing it out.

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Jun 16, 2011, 9:28:22 AM6/16/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com
To be more specific: if it *is* based on RPG Maker XP, or if it's
designed to be compatible, then it's a *huge* win, because there are
RPG Maker XP install bases all over the world, and the tools are far
superior than just hacking JS, which is where we are with Akihabara.
Dramatically increases the potential pool of participants. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, widged. As soon as I've got some free time
this weekend, I'll dive in, and encourage others to do the same.

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Jun 16, 2011, 11:26:57 AM6/16/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg
<greg.deko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be more specific: if it *is* based on RPG Maker XP, or if it's
> designed to be compatible, then it's a *huge* win, because there are
> RPG Maker XP install bases all over the world, and the tools are far
> superior than just hacking JS, which is where we are with Akihabara.
> Dramatically increases the potential pool of participants.  :)
>
> Thanks for the heads-up, widged.  As soon as I've got some free time
> this weekend, I'll dive in, and encourage others to do the same.

Interesting.

Point #1: documentation is all in French. Which is not a dealbreaker
in the age of Google Translate, and fine for me because je comprends
le Francais assez bien, but it's still not super-optimal.

Point #2, pulled from the docs: "Il est très recommandé d'utiliser RPG
Maker XP pour créer une carte." Translated: "It is highly recommended
to use RPG Maker XP for creating a map."

So that's a bit tricky for us. RPG Maker XP is a product available
for Windows only, and costs about $99. But it's a *really good tool*
for this kind of thing.

It really is a huge step forward that there's at least a "player" for
these games that's open, and it's also possible that they're planning
on producing an open set of tools for creating maps -- but they're
clearly not there yet.

I downloaded a copy of RPG Maker XP a couple of years back and
installed it on my wife's machine. It was quite usable and pretty
cool. But I'm reluctant to shackle people to a Windows development
environment, even for a short while.

What to do, what to do?

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Jun 16, 2011, 11:38:03 AM6/16/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com
> Interesting.
>
> Point #1: documentation is all in French.  Which is not a dealbreaker
> in the age of Google Translate, and fine for me because je comprends
> le Francais assez bien, but it's still not super-optimal.
>
> Point #2, pulled from the docs: "Il est très recommandé d'utiliser RPG
> Maker XP pour créer une carte."  Translated: "It is highly recommended
> to use RPG Maker XP for creating a map."
>
> So that's a bit tricky for us.  RPG Maker XP is a product available
> for Windows only, and costs about $99.  But it's a *really good tool*
> for this kind of thing.
>
> It really is a huge step forward that there's at least a "player" for
> these games that's open, and it's also possible that they're planning
> on producing an open set of tools for creating maps -- but they're
> clearly not there yet.
>
> I downloaded a copy of RPG Maker XP a couple of years back and
> installed it on my wife's machine.  It was quite usable and pretty
> cool.  But I'm reluctant to shackle people to a Windows development
> environment, even for a short while.

Here's another *very* interesting wrinkle to think about.

Does this translate *all* RPG Maker XP games to HTML5?

Because it *that* is true, then it means that you can alter behaviors
of games already built with HTML5 -- like the Aveyond series, for
instance. Not that you'd have license to do so, of course.

Very interesting. Need many hours to play. :)

--g

widged

Jun 17, 2011, 7:13:39 AM6/17/11
to tinygames
Sorry, I didn't spot the issue with it being mostly in French (French
is my native language).

Writing a minimalistic map maker shouldn't be too difficult. Though
this is easier done in environments that make it easy to capture
images and perform bitmapdata manipulation.
Example of code (with source) in actionscript 3:
http://codes.widged.com/node/4
http://codes.widged.com/node/1
Also played a bit with sprite animation
http://codes.widged.com/node?page=2

Finding good enough tile sheets is not too much of a problem:
http://opengameart.org/
More on this post: http://codes.widged.com/node/23

There probably are other options for rpg engines in javascript. The
most complete list of game engines in javascript that I have come
across:
https://gist.github.com/768272

On Jun 17, 3:26 am, Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg

widged

Jun 17, 2011, 7:30:51 AM6/17/11
to tinygames
In case of, rpgjs is based on easelJS (http://easeljs.com/) and the
author of that lib provided an app to export flash animations into
easelJS sprite sheets (http://easeljs.com/zoe.html). Hopefull, more
tools will appear in the future.

You may also want to check sencha animator
http://www.sencha.com/products/animator/
Provides functionalities similar to Flash 1 but exported to
javascript.

Another article on js game frameworks for mini-game content:
http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/free-javascript-game-frameworks-to-create-a-web-based-fun/

On Jun 17, 3:38 am, Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsb...@gmail.com>