Rejuvenating the list

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Feb 26, 2011, 5:18:38 PM2/26/11
to tinygames
This list has been silent for an awful long time. I know that I
haven't been driving much participation, largely because I've been
completely preoccupied by my new job.

Now I'm starting to find time to do some interesting work, though, and
it's time to surface and share some of that work here.

There are some *very* interesting opportunities popping up in the
HTML5 space. If people are still around and still interested in the
topic, and have seen any recently interesting developments, let us
know.

In the meantime, have a look at my latest effort:

http://gregdek.org/akihabara/game-mongo.html

Based on the excellent Akihabara game engine for JS/HTML5:

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/

And my writeup about why I think it's important:

http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/363/

And my original writeup about the TInygames idea, last year:

http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/05/

--g

Christoph Derndorfer

Feb 27, 2011, 11:09:37 AM2/27/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com, Greg DeKoenigsberg
Hi Greg,

thanks a lot for the update, great to hear from you!

Unfortunately I couldn't play the Mongo game as it doesn't seem to accept ENTER when I try to choose a difficulty level.

Anyway, in general I'm still very excited about the potential of HTML 5 (for all the same reasons you mention in your blog post) however I have had zero time to do anything in this area. I still believe that what the sector mainly needs is a handful of truly excellent demo apps to attract more developer and educator interest.

On a technical note I think it's important to make the use of these HTML 5 edu-apps work well on tablets because whether we like it or not tablets will become increasingly wide-spread in schools around the world.

Cheers from Madrid,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews

Greg DeKoenigsberg

Feb 27, 2011, 11:25:28 AM2/27/11
to Christoph Derndorfer, tiny...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's one of the reasons I chose Akihabara, because it's tested on, and runs on, various tablets, and even the Wii.

Re: keybindings for the demo, play with z, x, c, and the arrow keys.

--g

NoiseEHC

Feb 27, 2011, 3:56:04 PM2/27/11
to tiny...@googlegroups.com, Christoph Derndorfer, Greg DeKoenigsberg

> On a technical note I think it's important to make the use of these
> HTML 5 edu-apps work well on tablets because whether we like it or not
> tablets will become increasingly wide-spread in schools around the world.

I work on a HTML TouchBar which is a touch friendly toolbar for small
screens. (I am currently learning CSS...)
It will be a good prototype for Sugar as well since currently the whole
Sugar UI is so touch unfriendly that it will require a rewrite anyway.

Christoph Derndorfer

Feb 27, 2011, 4:26:10 PM2/27/11
to NoiseEHC, tiny...@googlegroups.com, Greg DeKoenigsberg
2011/2/27 NoiseEHC <Nois...@freemail.hu>

On a technical note I think it's important to make the use of these HTML 5 edu-apps work well on tablets because whether we like it or not tablets will become increasingly wide-spread in schools around the world.

I work on a HTML TouchBar which is a touch friendly toolbar for small screens. (I am currently learning CSS...)
It will be a good prototype for Sugar as well since currently the whole Sugar UI is so touch unfriendly that it will require a rewrite anyway.

Sounds interesting, please keep us posted on your progress! :-)

loleg

Mar 15, 2011, 8:35:59 AM3/15/11
to tinygames
This does sound really interesting. NoiseEHC, if you could share a
link to your project or any way to keep track of progress that would
be great. I am also very keen to develop tinygames for the XO, and the
prospect of being able to use web technologies like HTML5 is exciting,
though in my experience the performance of Firefox on the 1.x isn't
going to allow for much more than rather simple/static graphics. Will
keep the group posted once I have something to share.

Cheers
\\Oleg