VEX Robotics

Sean Bird

Jan 25, 2023, 10:17:18 PM1/25/23
to tinspire
My robotics teams have been earning the top award - Excellence - at several competitions this year.
 With the field taking up 12 ft x 12 ft in my classroom, this year our physics mousetrap spring-powered vehicle will use the disc basket as part of the challenge.
image.png

image.png
At some past robotics competitions, I had our TI-Rover, with its pen, write VEX on a large whiteboard.
image.png
image.png
Files are attached.

Mr. Bird

Psalm 111:2 "Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them."

write coordinates.tns
VEX2023.tns

Harshal Chhaya

Jan 26, 2023, 3:37:12 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

This is excellent - I love how you show the math behind this year's Vex challenge. So much better than "guess and shoot" :)
No wonder your team is winning the Excellence award at the competitions.

I am looking forward to seeing your team again at the Vex World Championships in Dallas in April. Good luck for the rest of the season.

And I remember you writing the program for TI-Rover to write out Vex at the TI booth in Louisville a few years ago. That was so cool to see!

Best wishes,
- Harshal

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tinspire/CAELrnPDFHzGBVjn2%2BP-pvi7tzM0QcmE00HHfrsfYTQipZM_UsA%40mail.gmail.com.

Sean Bird

Jan 26, 2023, 9:32:46 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Attached is the VEX2023.tns file with a few modifications. It now allows students to interactively adjust the angle. The TI-Nspire file allows students to explore the path of the yellow disc when launched at various speeds. The disc can be grabbed and moved along the path to show its instantaneous direction. The variable "disc" can be changed to show where the disc is at a particular time. Students can then investigate how long it takes to reach the basket that is 25 inches or 64 cm above the surface of the field. The initial angle was chosen to be 40 degrees because that was the angle my students designed their robot to launch the discs.

Interestingly, I was especially proud of my team and thought you would also enjoy that for the first time in our history they won the Inspire Award. "The Inspire Award is presented to a team that has inspired judges with their approach to the VEX Robotics program. This team will effectively communicate their passion for the VRC program and maintain a positive attitude throughout the event. The team will have a clear vision for their future and will participate with both a high level of integrity and good sportsmanship. This team demonstrates that they believe they can achieve what they set out to achieve through their diligence."

Sean Bird

Jan 26, 2023, 9:34:17 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Attached now is the VEX2023.tns file with a few modifications. It now allows students to interactively adjust the angle. The TI-Nspire file allows students to explore the path of the yellow disc when launched at various speeds. The disc can be grabbed and moved along the path to show its instantaneous direction. The variable "disc" can be changed to show where the disc is at a particular time. Students can then investigate how long it takes to reach the basket that is 25 inches or 64 cm above the surface of the field. The initial angle was chosen to be 40 degrees because that was the angle my students designed their robot to launch the discs.
VEX2023.tns