Forensics class

Sean Bird

Jan 23, 2023, 7:57:04 AM1/23/23
to tinspire
I helped teach a forensics class recently. On ballistics day it was difficult to analyze the size of the bullet with just a ruler. We even tried a digital calliper. The results from analyzing the picture with the TI-Nspire were so much more satisfying.
image.png

On the blood splatter day students dropped food coloring onto paper that was on a board at an angle and measured the dimensions of the ellipse. Again I noticed that their estimations were giving unsatisfactory results, but with the TI-Nspire we got the expected answer and understanding was greatly increased.
image.png

image.png
image.png

I was even able to prove to them that it was an ellipse.
image.png

Mr. Bird
Covenant Christian High School, Indianapolis, IN

Psalm 111:2 "Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them."

forensics.tns

John Hanna

Jan 24, 2023, 11:27:25 AM1/24/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Especially like the ellipse.

Nice layout!!

  • J

I helped teach a forensics class recently. On ballistics day it was difficult to analyze the size of the bullet with just a ruler. We even tried a digital calliper. The results from analyzing the picture with the TI-Nspire were so much more satisfying.

On the blood splatter day students dropped food coloring onto paper that was on a board at an angle and measured the dimensions of the ellipse. Again I noticed that their estimations were giving unsatisfactory results, but with the TI-Nspire we got the expected answer and understanding was greatly increased.

I was even able to prove to them that it was an ellipse.

Mr. Bird

Covenant Christian High School, Indianapolis, IN

Psalm 111:2 "Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them."

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tinspire/CAELrnPDRN%3DwaNx9sB57YGgyrYKW7r9Y%3DF3P%3DW1zvgFsk4AMT2w%40mail.gmail.com.

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png

Harshal Chhaya

Jan 24, 2023, 12:29:33 PM1/24/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

Thank you for sharing this excellent activity.

It's so cool to see Nspire's tools being used in new and interesting ways.

This is an exemplary cool cross-curricular STEM activity.

Thanks for sharing,
- Harshal

Jeff Benjamin

Jan 26, 2023, 6:43:50 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean!

I am very interested in learning more about your forensics class.  What math do you require the students to have prior to taking the class?  Do you have a curriculum you follow for this (if a written copy, could you share it?)

Thanks!

Jeff Benjamin

On Jan 23, 2023, at 7:57 AM, Sean Bird <covena...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<forensics.tns>

Sean Bird

Jan 26, 2023, 7:00:36 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I taught the class with a colleague who had previously taught the class over a semester (and maybe even over a full school year), but we taught it during our 2 week J-term where they just did forensics in the morning and afternoon. So I don't easily have access to the assignment files. There was not a math pre-req, but the class consisted primarily of junior and seniors, with a few sophomores.

Course Description:

Forensics and criminology are topics that have increased in popularity and public interest over the past few years. This course will endeavor to explore the scientific principles underlying this field of study. Forensics is a one-year elective course that provides an introduction to the field of forensic science. This is an interdisciplinary course that weaves in concepts from biology, chemistry, physics, and geology. For this reason, a foundation in chemistry or physics is necessary for success. This course is centered on the application of a variety of scientific disciplines in order to establish connections between suspects, crime scenes, events, and evidence. Students will develop and refine critical thinking skills, become trained in a variety of scientific techniques and technology, and develop an appreciation for the inherent value of science.

This course will be inquiry-based with students collaborating to construct knowledge much as scientists do in the real world. This allows students to take ownership of their learning and helps them to remember key ideas.

Course Outline:

Date

Topics

Homework

1/3

AM

Session 1:   Introduction to Criminalistics and Branches of Forensic Science

                     Lecture

Session 2: Logic Puzzles

Session 3: A Headache to Die For: Crime Scene Investigation Case Study

PM

Session 1: Evidence Collection and Crime Scene Sketches Lecture

Session 2: Evidence Collection and Crime Scene Sketch Lab

Session 3: Crime Scene Budget Project

AM

Session 1: Fingerprints Lecture

Session 2: Fingerprints Analysis and Balloon Lab

Session 3: Fingerprints Review Stations

PM

Session 1: Fingerprints Mystery Case Study

Session 2: Collecting Fingerprints Lecture

Session 3: Collecting Fingerprints Lab

1/5

AM

Session 1: Fingerprints Review Worksheet

Session 2: Handwriting and Graphology Activity

Session 3: Handwriting Analysis Lecture

PM

Session 1: Handwriting Self Analysis Activity

Session 2: Presidential Handwriting Activity

Session 3: Ransom Note Project Part 1

1/6

AM

Session 1: Ransom Note Project Part 2

Session 2: Ransom Note Project Part 3

Session 3: Handwriting Review Stations

PM

Session 1: Counterfeit and Forgery Lecture

Session 2: Simulated Forgery Lab

Session 3: Counterfeit Money Activity

1/9

AM

Session 1: Hair Analysis Lecture

Session 2: Medullary Index Activity

Session 3: Hair Analysis Review Stations

PM

Session 1: Hair Lab Part 1

Session 2: Hair Lab Part 2

Session 3: Hair Lab Part 3

1/10

AM

Session 1: Fiber Analysis Lecture

Session 2: Fiber Lab Part 1

Session 3: Fiber Lab Part 2

PM

Session 1: Ballistics Lecture

Session 2: Bullet Trajectory Calculations

Session 3: Ballistics Cartridge Analysis

1/11

AM

Session 1: Ballistics Mystery Lab

Session 2: Blood Spatter Lecture

Session 3: Blood Spatter Lab Part 1

PM

Session 1: Blood Spatter Lab Part 2

Session 2: Introduction to Final Project and Planning Forms

Session 3: Final Project Worktime

1/12

AM

Session 1: Turn in Forensics Journal and Final Project Worktime

Session 2: Final Project Worktime

Session 3: Final Project Worktime

PM

Session 1: Final Project Worktime

Session 2: Final Project Worktime

Session 3: Final Project Worktime

1/13

AM

Final Project prep

PM Final Project Presentations and Solve

Jeff Benjamin

Jan 26, 2023, 7:17:31 PM1/26/23
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

Thanks so much for this info!  It looks very interesting.  For us, I wonder if it would make an interesting summer school optional course as an elective.

Thanks!

Jeff Benjamin