what's new in 5.3 — quick question

ppetto

Apr 22, 2021, 3:50:44 PM4/22/21
to tinspire
Just wondering if there's a “what's new” or changelog document regarding the new TI-nspire software I was just prompted to install.

I see the brief explanation, Python improvements, on the upgrade now web page. But I'd be interested to see more detail, if it's available somewhere.

Thanks, in any case,

   —Peter

===

Peter Petto <peter...@gmail.com>
Bay Village, OH

Heidi Rudolph

Apr 29, 2021, 1:23:56 PM4/29/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I’ll look around for one, and will ask as well.

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tinspire/620b7850-3395-46b4-993e-c39d44b28bccn%40googlegroups.com.

Heidi Rudolph

May 5, 2021, 2:06:08 PM5/5/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Nothing. But if there is anything, TICARES can send a PDF.

Peter Petto

May 5, 2021, 2:17:43 PM5/5/21
to tinspire
Thanks a lot, Heidi…I’ve been using both my calculator and the desktop version for a couple weeks now and nothing has jumped out at me…that may be due to the ruts I fall into given my applications.

I really appreciate you looking around for me. I will note anything I discover, and tell you.

   —Peter

John Hanna

May 5, 2021, 3:49:18 PM5/5/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com

There are some changes to the python world: On the Editor>Actions and Shell>Tools menus there’s a ‘Install as Python module’ option which will move the current .tns file to the pylib folder and do a ‘refresh libraries’ and close the document. This is evident in the new BBC micro:bit module.

from ti_hub import * no longer throws an error. You have to send a command to cause an error now.

Now all Pylib modules appear on the ‘More Modules’ menu beneath the ti_ modules. Every .py file that’s in a .tns file will show up, so it’s important to follow the guidelines:

    .tns file and .py file should have the same name.

   Only one .py file in the .tns file.

Note that these are ‘suggestions, not requirements! The TI-developed BBC micro:bit module does not even follow the recommendation.

Be Excellent,

     John Hanna

Heidi Rudolph

May 6, 2021, 8:50:46 AM5/6/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I rarely get to do anything math related now......hoping to sub at Hawken whenever the need arises. This year they used paid interns who were already in the buildings. Thus, no “outsiders” permeating their borders!

Peggy Frisbie

May 6, 2021, 8:55:54 AM5/6/21
to tinspire
In the teacher software, when you set up calculators in Press-To-Test mode, it produces a code for the set of settings you choose, and you can use that 8-digit code to get those settings again. Even better, you can name and save the settings on your computer to apply them by name next time.

The press-to-test screen you get on the calculators looks a bit different, and includes the 8-digit code. It's possible to turn off the numerical solver in PTT, now, too. Resetting PTT works the same as before.

Andy Kemp

hastern

May 16, 2021, 8:27:08 AM5/16/21
to tinspire
is the micro:bit module generally available?

John Hanna

May 16, 2021, 7:39:45 PM5/16/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com

YES to micro:bit!

See: TI-Inspire™ CX II graphing calculator | micro:bit | TI

TI Codes > Nspire > Python  > Unit 6: micro:bit coming soon.

Be Excellent,

     John Hanna

hastern

May 18, 2021, 2:19:07 AM5/18/21
to tinspire
excellent! I've been waiting for those files. (I must not be on the right mailing lists anymore.)

John Hanna

May 18, 2021, 6:20:50 AM5/18/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com

I think micro:bit is a very soft release in US/CA. Popular in Europe, though, thanks to BBC giving away a lot to UK schools.

Karlheinz Haas

May 20, 2021, 12:44:09 PM5/20/21
to tinspire
John,
Stop teasing us with the micro:bit activities Emoji.png  You can't get the micro:bit V2 anywhere. I guess whoever gets to Europe first will have to pick up a few. Or maybe we can start an exchange.....an audio cable from us for one of their micro:bit V.2s.  Love what I've seen done with the micro:bit V1, though.
Karlheinz

Message has been deleted