Point of Intersection Accuracy

Mike Bevelacqua

Aug 6, 2010, 9:22:51 AM8/6/10
to tinspire
This question came from one of my participants in the "Getting Started
with TI-Nspire: High School Math" course last week..."Is there a
difference in the accuracy of the point of intersection found in a
Graphs page by using the Points & Lines > Intersection Point(s) method
vs. the Analyze Graph > Intersection method." I could not answer the
question. Can anybody help?

Sean Bird

Aug 6, 2010, 9:35:45 AM8/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Don't take this as authoritative, but I would say 'no'. The Graphs and Geometry application(s) always has a certain level of approximation - lots of digits of accuracy, but not exact like the other applications will give you.

Nelson Sousa

Aug 6, 2010, 9:37:38 AM8/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

I would guess no, but there could be differences in the algorithms used. I think it's more reasonable to suppose both tools use exactly the same algorithm, but only knowing which algorithms are used you can know for sure.

Cheers,
Nelson

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Marc Garneau

Aug 6, 2010, 1:15:10 PM8/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
As for the algorithms, they are different.  How they're different I don't know.  But I have encountered, once, a situation in which there was an intersection point that the Intersection Points method wouldn't work for me, yet the Analyze Graph method did work.

Marc

Nelson Sousa

Aug 6, 2010, 1:19:26 PM8/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

thanks Marc.
So I think we may also assume that accuracy is different.

Cheers,
Nelson