Need Math Minds - Not Necessarily Nspire, though one could argue...

Katie

Mar 30, 2021, 6:57:55 PM3/30/21
to tinspire
Hello old friends. It’s been a while since I’ve visited this group, but you all were one of the firsts I thought of to possibly help with my current dilemma.

 I’m preparing to go in to battle and need to shore up my beliefs and understanding.  Can you PLEASE, for the sake of all that is holy, either help me understand why factoring is considered so important by almost every high school math teacher I’ve had the pleasure of leading, OR, help me formulate a non-debatable argument for why it isn’t as important as many would believe.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Katie

eagl...@duetsoftware.ca

Mar 30, 2021, 7:19:43 PM3/30/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katie,

Do you mean prime factoring, determining factors of numbers, factoring GCFs from polynomials, or factoring polynomial expressions?

Eric

On Mar 30, 2021, at 3:58 PM, Katie <kme...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello old friends. It’s been a while since I’ve visited this group, but you all were one of the firsts I thought of to possibly help with my current dilemma.

 I’m preparing to go in to battle and need to shore up my beliefs and understanding.  Can you PLEASE, for the sake of all that is holy, either help me understand why factoring is considered so important by almost every high school math teacher I’ve had the pleasure of leading, OR, help me formulate a non-debatable argument for why it isn’t as important as many would believe.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Katie

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tinspire/33e8615a-fadb-4813-be4b-f290eb07e57an%40googlegroups.com.

John Hanna

Mar 30, 2021, 10:34:38 PM3/30/21
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Johnny Carson once recited the Quadratic Formula in his opening monologue, citing his HS algebra teacher’s “someday you are going to use this…”

He used it to get a laugh.

Be Excellent,

     John Hanna

Katie

Mar 31, 2021, 12:07:48 AM3/31/21
to tinspire

Thanks Eric for pushing me to be clear. I’m talking about factoring polynomial expressions.  Which then leads to rational expressions and every possible situation from there. It often seems absent any relation to bigger concepts such as key features of functions. But even then, in this day with technology (CAS), why SO important?