Tinn-R fails to close sometimes

marQIsoft

Sep 23, 2021, 9:43:04 AM9/23/21
to Tinn-R Editor - GUI for R Language and Environment
Hi,

With the last version of Tinn-R, I have a new problem that is weird: sometimes when I ask it to close (by clicking the window's X button) it starts an infinite loop of activating & deactivating the window, but does not close. Even worse, after 1 minute or so, Windows feels bad about this and I hear the PC speaker beeping... like if the PC was asking for help. Then I have to shut down Windows, and then accept to "force" the application to close (as proposed by Windows).

Unfortunately, I do not know how to reproduce the issue... but if you have some idea on the causes of that issue?... I would like it very much to be solved... because it feels bad to have an IDE that fails to close and forces me to close the PC.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Best,

Marc

jcfaria

Sep 25, 2021, 8:05:30 AM9/25/21
to marQIsoft, Tinn-R Editor - GUI for R Language and Environment
Hi Marc,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to share what's happening on your machine. It could be happening in others and I don't know about it. I inform you that this is the first time (in almost 20 years of development and use) that I have heard something like this.

I have suspicions in two sectors:
I- Something corrupted some file (.ini, .txt or .xml) in the startup folder. The biggest suspicion is in the "data" folder and in the ".xml" files.

II- some program (security or maintenance) is considering Tinn-R to be unreliable and is preventing it from saving or updating files in the startup folder on closing.

Tinn-R startup folder is in a hidden folder (by default) in Windows. You need to change this pattern (in folder and file display options) so you know where it is.

I prefer hidden folders to be shown and Windows to show extensions for all files as well. By default it hides extensions for known file types and this can be tricky when it makes a wrong association between a certain extension and a default program. Besides, knowing the extension of your files is always the best option!

In my case the Tinn-R startup folder is in this path: "C:\Users\jcfaria\AppData\Tinn-R". You can find out where yours is via the Tinn-R menu option: "Help/Ini files (path information).

Say, henceforth, "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R"

Let's try the solution:
Option I - something corrupted some startup folder file.
a) Close Tinn-R if it is running

b) Manually renamed the folder "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R" to "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R_old"

c) Restart Tinn-R.

It will automatically recreate a new folder ("C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R") with default values ​​and on closing save all user options. Obviously, the old options will not be used as they will be in the folder "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R_old".

If you wanted to progressively close Tinn-R, copying some main files from "./Tinn-R_old" folder to "./Tinn-R" you can save time as an option to reconfigure all your options. Additionally, it can, in this process, find which file has been corrupted.

For each one, close Tinn-R, copy a file from one folder to another, for example: "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Tinn-R_old\app\Tinn.ini" which stores too much information and hardly ever is corrupted to "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Tinn-R\app\Tinn.ini". Restart Tinn-R.

If all goes well, and if that's the problem, you'll be able to get the corrupted file eliminated and Tinn-R back to being the simple, steady, and reliable partner it's always been.

Option II- Some (security) program is considering Tinn-R to be unreliable and is preventing it from saving or updating files in the startup folder on shutdown.

a) You need to identify in your safety or cleaning program how to let it know that Tinn-R is a reliable program and that the maintenance and cleaning program lets it work in peace, without restrictions. I think in all these years he's proven himself safe. Is not it?

Look, Tinn-R uses the "Windows Registry" just to tell the operating system where it was installed when running the installation setup and what file extensions were associated with it at installation. Other than that, all user information and preferences are written to the startup folder: "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Tinn-R".

A good option is also to clean the folder where it saves temporary files when dealing with R. For that see the values ​​of the hidden variable ".paths" that the package TinnRcom creates:
> .paths
[1] "C:\\Users\\xxxxx\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\Tinn-R"

It might be a good option to manually remove this folder with Tinn-R turned off.

Finally, I wouldn't rule out testing Tinn-R's portable option!

It is identical to the normal one, but the folder where the startup files are stored is created as a sub-folder where the main program folder is. If you place the Tinn-R_portable folder in the main folder in "./usres/xxxxx/my documents", in a data partition or in a flash memory, security programs shouldn't bother.

For example, if you create a folder in "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Tinn-R_portable where you unzip the portable app, it will create a folder named "C:\Documents\xxxx\Tinn-R\app_data" where all subfolders and startup files will be left in. In this case the Windows registry is not even used for executable location and file association. You will have to do the association of files manually.

If these options don't work, I can try remote access on your machine via AnyDesk to see if I can identify something that I'm not able to imagine at the moment.

The best,
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
Jose Claudio Faria
UESC/DCET/Brasil
joseclaudio.faria at gmail.com
Telefones:
55(73)3680.5545 - UESC
55(73)99966.9100 - VIVO
If you have software to deal with statistics, you have arms,
if you have good software, you have arms and legs,
if you have software like R, you have arms, legs and wings...
the height of your flight depends only on you.