New feature proposal: AutoSave!

marQIsoft

Jul 30, 2017, 5:17:10 PM7/30/17
to Tinn-R Editor
Hi there,

These days, I'm working hard producing final results and figures for my PhD thesis. R and Tinn-R are, as usual, my daily companions for this task. But here's the problem. My PC is not very stable, probably because it's becoming ~7 years old (especially for a laptop). And BSODs happen, occasionally, which literally kill my recent work each time. In MS Word, that's not too much of a problem, since the autosave feature does its job very frequently. But in Tinn-R, there is no such option. And okay, yes I know, I should save my scripts more frequently, but you know, when you're concentrated on an objective, you tend to wait until it's finished before saving. With the consequence that we're very vulnerable to major bugs like the famous BSODs.

An AutoSave working like that of MS Word would be great. The idea would be, simply, to regularly "save a copy" of the opened&modified files, to some dedicated folder, maybe a Tinn-R or system temporary folder? or simply an "AutoSave" folder somewhere. And the created files would be cleaned up (suppressed) only during a clean exit of the Tinn-R app. Otherwise, the files would be available at next start of Tinn-R. There could be some simple GUI feature to see a list of those files, to facilitate re-opening them, one at a time or all at once. I'm sure you'll have plenty of good ideas for a nice implementation of that feature, when time comes.

So that's it: my wish would be that an AutoSave is added shortly to Tinn-R, so that I never lose my work anymore.

If you want to discuss/exchange ideas of this topic, don't hesitate to write replies here.

Thanks a lot, and have a nice sunny summer!

Marc,
 alias marQIsoft

marQIsoft

Nov 5, 2017, 4:26:57 PM11/5/17
to Tinn-R Editor
Today, I've had a general bug on my PC that made me lose all my unsaved scripts, that is, about 2 hours of programming.

I do hope, more and more, that an AutoSave feature becomes available soon in Tinn-R.

That would be a much safer environment for "continuous" programming. At least for those many people which, like me, do sometimes forget to save their scripts frequently. ;-)

Thanks.

Marc