Google Analytics?

Michael Barrett

Jul 12, 2012, 4:10:19 AM7/12/12
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
Vlad, I attempted to get Google Analytics working tonight on my site (http://signal0.com/) but I had some issues. I followed the instructions on your site and was able to see the link to my google_analytics.js in the source, but I didn't see any data in Google Analytics and it reported that there was an issue finding the tracking code.

I'm wondering if it has to do with this:

http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161379

It looks like they suggest that the asynchronous code (the only code they give easily it seems) is supposed to go at the bottom of the <head> elements.

I manually placed the javascript in the <head> element by updating my custom theme's (this is the only customization I have now) layout.html, and now everything seems to work.

I was wondering if http://tinkerer.me/'s Google Analytics are working correctly, since it seems to follow the method outlined in the documentation.

Thanks again.

--
Michael Barrett
lok...@gmail.com

Augustine Dunn

Apr 10, 2013, 3:18:42 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
word on this?  I am having issues as well.

Thanks

Gus

Michael Barrett

Apr 10, 2013, 3:49:50 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
I believe this was answered in:

That said, I removed my layout completely in 1.0 as it was actually causing issues and everything works 'out of the box' now for me.

Michael Barrett

Vlad Riscutia

Apr 10, 2013, 3:54:30 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
Augustine, what version of Tinkerer are you using? This was an old issue from when I first moved themes to HTML5 Boilerplate, which was recommending to place all JS at the bottom of the page. Since then, I moved script loading back in <head> as Michael suggested in his email and things are working fine. At least analytics for Tinkerer website are fine and I didn't hear any complaints since. What kind of issue are you having? Also, is GA being loaded in your <head> tag or at the bottom of the page?

Thank you,
Vlad

W. Augustine Dunn III

Apr 10, 2013, 5:55:54 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com

Ok. I should have latest version. I think I figured out something just now that was a problem on my end. I am waiting for Google analytics to catch up and see if what I did fixed it.

Thank you for your help.

Gus

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "tinkerer-dev" group.

W. Augustine Dunn III

Apr 10, 2013, 6:14:29 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
So that fixed it.

This is what happened in case someone else complains of this in the future since you already fixed the older problem.

This is the current text on the tinkerer.me site regarding google analytics:

To enable Google Analytics for your blog, setup your Google Analytics account. You will be provided some JS code. Add the JS code to a file in your blog’s _static directory as google_analytics.js and create a new page.html file under your blog’s _templates directory with the following content:

I copied the entire text field that google gave me which includes the <script> tags.  That was causing the file that should be pure javascript code to have the html tags in it and I think that it was simply failing.

Once I removed the <script> tags that google already wraps their js code in, it has worked.

I will submit an issue recommending slight changes to the doc text that will hopefully prevent you from being bothered by others that simply copied the google text completely.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Gus
--
In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.
-Stephen Jay Gould

Vlad Riscutia

Apr 10, 2013, 6:28:12 PM4/10/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I'll look into updating the docs. Glad you got it working.

Thank you,
Vlad