Setting date and meta data

Per Sjoholm

Mar 27, 2013, 6:50:59 AM3/27/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
I use tinkerer to write a journal/log book and want to set a specific date in a post.

A start with a draft and later post it. To get the entries on specific date it would be good to have the date in the file.

Can tinkerer --post read a date in the post ?

I also want to add other metadata.

Christian Jann

Mar 27, 2013, 7:13:19 AM3/27/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 27 March 2013 03:50:59 Per Sjoholm wrote:
> I use tinkerer to write a journal/log book and want to set a specific date
> in a post.
>
> A start with a draft and later post it. To get the entries on specific date
> it would be good to have the date in the file.
>
> Can tinkerer --post read a date in the post ?

This isn't currently implemented, but if you don't publish more than five blog
posts a day it shouldn't be too mush overhead to move the post manually into
the correct directory YEAR/MONTH/DAY/a_post.rst and edit the master.rst file:

.. toctree::
:maxdepth: 1

YEAR/MONTH/DAY/a_post
2012/04/21/moved_to_tinkerer_and_openshift

You can also add a comment at the top of the post to move it later into the
correct directory:

.. DAY. MONTH YEAR

> I also want to add other metadata.

I've written the authorurl-directive extension [1], that adds extra metadata
in form of a website url to an author via .. author_url:: http://site.com/,
this can be used as an example to add custom metadata fields to blog posts.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/vladris/tinkerer-contrib/src/8933c2798cbc/authorurl-
directive?at=default

If you tell us what metadata you would like to add, then we can add it to our
TODO list.

--
chris

Vlad Riscutia

Mar 27, 2013, 12:32:11 PM3/27/13
to tinker...@googlegroups.com
While this is not provided explicitly, Tinkerer command line has a --date flag which allows you to publish to a particular date. One simple approach would be to add a RST comment in your draft then write a one-line script which greps the file for the comment and passes the date to Tinkerer post, together with the file name.

So if you have ".. 2012/03/27" in your draft.rst, you would run tinker --post drafts/draft.rst --date 2012/03/27

Thank you,
Vlad