Adding support to modify local files while browsing on an externally hosted version

Luis A. Gomez

Oct 26, 2012, 6:41:53 AM10/26/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like to propose to add support for externally hosted sites.

So let's say that I have my site hosted on a server different that local, I would like to be able to map the files of the hosted version to my local files. Right now as far as I know this is only possible if I'm running the application on a local server, right?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Ryan Ackley

Oct 26, 2012, 6:59:58 PM10/26/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Seems like a good idea. It also seems possible with the chrome extension API.

What is the scenario where you find yourself wanting to do this? I
just wonder how common this is.

Luis A. Gomez

Oct 28, 2012, 6:33:06 AM10/28/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I'm working with two other people on a Drupal Project hosted on an external server. For matters of configuration and consistency we only have one development installation to which we commit and deploy our local file changes. Therefore every time I want to see the changes I've made, I need to access the site not on my localhost but on the development server.

It would be great if I could access the site on that sever and at the same time my local files would be modified so I would only need to commit and deploy my changes.

Tate Forgey

Jul 23, 2013, 2:16:03 PM7/23/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Was there any more on this?  I find myself in a similar situation with a Joomla site.  I'd love to be able to view the live site and change a local file.  Thanks!

Ryan Ackley

Jul 23, 2013, 3:34:42 PM7/23/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Yes I've thought about it, I have a new project that I'm about to release that might help with this.

Matthew Speakman

Jul 25, 2013, 11:39:10 AM7/25/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Bump

Matthew Speakman

Jul 25, 2013, 11:47:49 AM7/25/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Working with external developers means more difficulty gaining direct access to CSS, js, etc. Security issues abound.
Using TINCR to remap an externally hosted CSS file to point to a locally hosted file of the same name would allow changes to CSS to be made and saved locally and be reflected in the browser view.
TINCR would "tell" Chrome to honor the locally hosted CSS file for that domain, and paint the DOM accordingly.
When finished, the local CSS file could then be passed to the external developer for integration.
Make sense?

Alex Giannis

Jul 28, 2013, 10:48:22 PM7/28/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
+1 for this

Guillermo Brambila

Sep 25, 2013, 1:22:20 AM9/25/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
You can do that w FireFox + Firebug + Firefile.

You open the site in Firefox/Firebug, make live changes to CSS (use Firepicker for faster dev), and click save on Firefile. CSS changes get uploaded to server.

That's the fastest way to modify CSS.

I came thinking that Tincr was the same as Firefile for Chrome, but seems that it is only for local file changes.

Would be amazing that it supported external sources and auto save to the external server.

Thx.