Nancy Chauhan

Mar 15, 2018, 4:24:39 PM3/15/18
to timv...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I am Nancy Chauhan, currently pursuing my Bachelor’s in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT Una), India.

I have worked with Python and have a deep interest in FPGAs and Verilog.I have worked with FPGA board -Spartan 3E during my past Internship at CDAC Mohali ,India . I am quite curious and want to learn more about FPGAs, Verilog, etc . I have read about HDMI2USB project. Is it necessary to buy Numato Opsis to start working or we can work on without any development board? As of now I dont have any Development Board and what environment i need to setup to start contributing ?

Since, I am new this platform , it would be great if someone could help me.

as I want to start contributing .

Thanks

Carl Karsten

Mar 15, 2018, 5:10:24 PM3/15/18
to timv...@googlegroups.com
You can do quite a bit without any hardware

I would suggest this:

start here: https://hdmi2usb.tv/firmware/
"""
Setting up Developer Environment
To setup a developer environment follow the ‘Getting Started’
instructions in the TimVideos/HDMI2USB-litex-firmware repo.
"""
(Which may be out of date, we spend more time hacking than updating
docs.. sorry. But let us know when you are having trouble and we will
help you get things working. IRC is the best place to start, post
here if you don't see a reply in 10 min or so.)

have a goal of building this file:

2227052 bytes image-gateware+bios+firmware.v0.0.4-148-g8810a57.opsis.hdmi2usb.lm32.bin

or a similar version. currently the build may be failing, again, reach
out to us, happy to help. You will need to know what to do when the
build fails.. so good time to learn.

Once you get something, if you send me a URL I can wget it from, I'll
flash it onto my test board and let you know what happens.

Once you can build, next goal: make a very small change.

I am not sure there are any easy bugs right now, so here is a feature
you can add:

After any change to the matrix (connect, in/out on/off. video mode)
display the status so the user does not have to hit "S enter" all the
time. When you get to this point, I can give you ssh access to a
board so you can see what the current behaviour is.

It is a very small change, but getting the source, tool chain and
testing procedures in place is a bit of work.

Also, you can do a bit emulating the softcore and running parts of
the hdmi2usb system.

There isn't a guide on how to set this up, but here is a place to start:

https://github.com/timvideos/litex-buildenv/blob/master/scripts/build-qemu.sh

You will need to explore the code base to figure out what to do. I
have not personally done it, but others have.

This will let you test the above work on your own system.
> --

Carl K