Don't Cache Empty Json or PNG

Alex King

Mar 2, 2017, 2:53:59 PM3/2/17
to Tilestache
Hey,

I'm running into file system errors because TileStache is generating a ton of empty json/png files and storing them. It looks like there's a class (NoTileLeftBehind) to prevent storing empty files but how do I go about calling this? Do I need to build a custom provider? Is it as simple as a flag?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex King

Mar 2, 2017, 6:30:46 PM3/2/17
to Tilestache
So, it looks like the intent of NoTileLeftBehind was to only tile within a bounding box, but not to exclude empty tiles within that bounding box. I ended up just writing a very hacky test to determine whether either the png or the json was blank and then raising NoTileLeftBehind if either was true. Not sure if there's a better way, but it works for now.

Travis Kirstine

Mar 7, 2017, 10:28:45 AM3/7/17
to tiles...@googlegroups.com

Alex,

The issue with not caching tiles is that tilestache would need to reach back to the source wms / database to regenerate a empty png / json repeatly for the same request, this somewhat defeats the purpose of a cache.

On some system the blank redundancy is handled by using symbolic links

I see this issue has been raised here but I’m not sure if it has been implemented

https://github.com/TileStache/TileStache/issues/189

Alex King

Mar 8, 2017, 8:47:30 PM3/8/17
to tiles...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response, Travis. The reason it's necessary for me is because when caching a large number of tiles I run into inode capacity issues. That said, I'm looking into whether or not it would just be better to pre-cache everything with MBTiles and serve that. Do you have any thoughts on the MBTiles format vs just zipped pngs?

Travis Kirstine

Mar 10, 2017, 8:32:05 AM3/10/17
to tiles...@googlegroups.com

If you have a lot of tiles I would go with MBTiles, disk cache become somewhat problematic to manage (backup / cp).  The issue with MBTiles is that it (sqlite) doesn’t handle concurrent writes (locks table).