Level Designers Needed

Jonathon Duerig

Aug 24, 2011, 12:36:25 PM8/24/11
to Tile Factory
Tile Factory 2 is almost done. One of the things still on my checklist
is lots of new levels. With new parts, the ability to design your own
stencils, and locks, you will be able to make new kinds of levels.

I need volunteers to design these new levels for the game release.

Here is the deal:

* You will commit to designing at least 5 levels.
* You can adapt previously-made levels created by *you* to the new
engine if you want.
* Each level must have both a name and a paragraph or so of text
explaining the challenge/story of the level (multi-part stories/levels
are ok).
* Make sure to actually solve a level before submitting it to me. :)
* When submitting the levels, you must send me the name which you want
to be used for giving you credit.

Importantly, you must agree that:

* You will not release the level-making prototype of the game to
anyone else.
* You will not share the new levels until Tile Factory 2 is released.

In exchange for making levels for me, on August 31st, you will get
access to the new engine so you can create the new levels. You will
also get credited for the design of the levels in the game's credits
listing.

To sign up, reply to this thread agreeing to the above terms and I
will send you instructions on August 31st.

-D

CJ

Aug 24, 2011, 6:28:38 PM8/24/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Sign up! I totally agree to the above. But I can't solve my levels, so I'll just have to adapt my old ones to the new engine. I can't verify if it will be solved or not, but if it can be solved in the old engine, I guess it can be solved in the new one. Is this OK?

Iván Nieto

Aug 24, 2011, 8:27:03 PM8/24/11
to Tile Factory
Sign me up, too! Although... can the levels be "weird"? Like my recent
"toolless sun"?

CJ: I'd happily verify your levels for solvability if you don't make
them too annoying ;)
Also, from the things I've read, in some areas the new engine will be
incompatible.

hailstone

Aug 24, 2011, 10:28:55 PM8/24/11
to Tile Factory
I'd be happy to help make levels.

Jonathon Duerig

Aug 24, 2011, 10:41:28 PM8/24/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to those volunteering so far.

Ivan, my hope is to end up with about half pretty conventional with
cool little mosaics and about half with some kind of interesting and
unique challenge that requires a clever solution. So if some of your
levels are weird and push things to the limit, that is for the best.

-D

CJ

Aug 25, 2011, 5:26:31 AM8/25/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Oh. Weird levels are allowed? Who knew.

Ivan, thanks. I love TF, yet my mental capacity is unable to solve majority of levels which require glue.

CJ

Aug 25, 2011, 7:01:08 AM8/25/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for double post, yet I forgot to add, what about the specs.?
You know, level size, level difficulty and level "weirdness".

Bval

Aug 25, 2011, 12:46:52 PM8/25/11
to Tile Factory
Count me in, I would love to make some. I do have the same question as
CJ about the specs.... any specific size, amount of tools ... deadline?

Jonathon Duerig

Aug 25, 2011, 1:20:42 PM8/25/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Bval <meir...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Count me in, I would love to make some. I do have the same question as
> CJ about the specs.... any specific size, amount of tools ... deadline?

The specs are up to you. I will put them in roughly difficulty order
on the second map with the easiest ones in the upper-left corner and
harder ones going clockwise until the lower-left corner has the
weird/crazy ones.

The goal is to get Tile Factory 2 completed by mid-september and
released shortly afterward. So you would have a window of about two
weeks to make maps.

-D

CJ

Aug 25, 2011, 6:43:22 PM8/25/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
How are you going to send the new engine? Through e-mail? And what file will it be?

Goldbear

Aug 28, 2011, 8:00:08 AM8/28/11
to Tile Factory
I'd also be happy to create some levels. I agree to all the above
mentioned conditions.

So, if you need some more "upper-left-ish" designs you can count on
me. Can't promise though not to go for one more complex mosaic :)

Also if you again need some German translations, let me know. I'd be
happy to do them for you.

Jonathon Duerig

Aug 30, 2011, 1:07:24 PM8/30/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to those who responded. Unfortunately, I need to push back the
start date for sending you the level editor by a week. I've had some
troubles getting the user interface to work properly and I've been
somewhat distracted by Minecraft. So I'll send out information on how
to get the level editor prototype on September 7th. Thanks for your
patience.

-D

CJ

Aug 31, 2011, 4:03:27 AM8/31/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
Oof. Thanks for the info. Oh yeah, I only realized, it's my birthday tomorrow!

barryd15

Sep 3, 2011, 3:34:36 AM9/3/11
to Tile Factory
It would be cool to help out... but unfortunately I couldn't commit to
5 maps in such a short period, with my current workload. In fact I
was thinking I could just manage 1 map maybe, but I couldn't even
provide a solid commitment for that. Argh.. I think I was better at
solving them than designing them anyway.

CJ

Sep 3, 2011, 3:42:41 AM9/3/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
@barryd15 You can do it! Maybe you can make some easy maps!

Bval

Sep 8, 2011, 1:42:28 PM9/8/11
to Tile Factory
It's september 8th and I haven't received anything. Am I alone? If
not, no worries..... I am just looking forward to it.

Jonathon Duerig

Sep 8, 2011, 3:48:01 PM9/8/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Bval <meir...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's september 8th and I haven't received anything. Am I alone? If
> not, no worries..... I am just looking forward to it.

Instructions will be sent out tonight.

-D

Verticae

Sep 18, 2011, 2:48:03 PM9/18/11
to Tile Factory
I'd love to help out if help is still needed.