"invalid display size" when connecting vncviewer (RHEL7) to UltraVNC server (Windows10)

Rich Crompton

Jun 16, 2021, 4:11:30 PM6/16/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
I have a VNC server running on a Windows10 server and I'm able to connect with several VNC clients except for TigerVNC (vncviewer) from a RHEL7 system.  It seems no matter what options I specify for vncviewer that I receive this message:

"invalid display size"

Connecting with other clients from the same RHEL7 system works okay.  Thoughts?

DRC

Jun 16, 2021, 4:19:39 PM6/16/21
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com
Is the VNC server UltraVNC, by chance?  If so, then it's a known issue:

https://github.com/TurboVNC/turbovnc/issues/292#issuecomment-846297031

They unfortunately chose to invent their own server-to-client extended
desktop size message rather than following the documented specification
of the existing extended desktop size message.  In other words, they are
violating the RFB protocol.

Rich Crompton

Jun 16, 2021, 5:13:58 PM6/16/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
It is UltraVNC, indeed.  Good to know; I'll look at alternatives on the server.  Thanks!

Pierre Ossman

Jun 17, 2021, 3:30:51 AM6/17/21
to Rich Crompton, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 16/06/2021 23:13, Rich Crompton wrote:
> It is UltraVNC, indeed. Good to know; I'll look at alternatives on the
> server. Thanks!

This should be fixed in the development version of UltraVNC, so see if
you can try that.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development