vncviewer auto size, position, no window border questions/request

David N

Jun 29, 2021, 2:41:31 AM6/29/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hi,
i am currently evaluating Tiger VNC and i can not find the option for the viewer to auto resize.
 I am on Windows and i've been using TightVNC for years. But Tight VNC can not set a specific display to open the viewer on. It always opens on the primary monitor.

So i found Tiger VNC, and i love the -geometry=XXXXxYYYY+-Xoffset+-Yoffset thing (-display=2 doesn't work)
the problem with this function is that the viewer doesnt scale with the window/fullscreen mode.

for example, my local monitor is 1920x1080, i want to vnc into another pc that has 1920x1080. in this case full screen works ok,  in window mode, you need to scroll.

in case i want the window smaller , lets say 960x540 in the upper right corner of the secondary display  i would use
-geometry=960x540+1920+0, in this case i would only see a quarter of the remote screen. there should be an option to auto resize the remote screen, like zoom in or zoom out to fit the window/fullscreen.

you have some remote screen resizing, but i don't want to resize the remote screen,  i just want to see the full remote screen in a smaller window. (or larger, if i want to see fullscreen of a 800x600 remote pc, without black bars around the remote display, the black bars due to aspect ratio would be ok)

also, would it be possible to add an option to hide the window borders?
if i want to connect to 4 remote pcs and monitor them each in its quarter of the screen

-geometry=960x540+1920+0
-geometry=960x540+2880+0
-geometry=960x540+1920+540
-geometry=960x540+2880+540

they all have borders  and scroll bars, it would be nice if -geometry was used with fullscreen and autosize option, to see the remote pcs in  full screen, without borders in a smaller size.

Thanks  :)

David

Pierre Ossman

Jun 29, 2021, 7:52:58 AM6/29/21
to David N, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 29/06/2021 08:41, David N wrote:

> you have some remote screen resizing, but i don't want to resize the remote
> screen, i just want to see the full remote screen in a smaller window. (or
> larger, if i want to see fullscreen of a 800x600 remote pc, without black
> bars around the remote display, the black bars due to aspect ratio would be
> ok)

Scaling is not something we have right now, no. We have this feature
issue here to track it:

https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc/issues/274

I think our Java client can do scaling though, so that might be worth a try.

> also, would it be possible to add an option to hide the window borders?
> if i want to connect to 4 remote pcs and monitor them each in its quarter
> of the screen

I think that might be a bit obscure for us to add as a standard thing.
We generally leave such things for the window manager. But perhaps there
are some window manager tricks that can get what you want. Some tiling
window manager should hopefully be able to sort this out.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com