windows client settings

Al Squassabia

Jun 2, 2023, 10:43:26 AM6/2/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
when using TigerVNC client on windows, after a few sessions connecting to different remote machines the connection text box remembers what server was reached for each unique connection.  It shows a choice of servers:

Screenshot 2023-06-02 081151.png
Could please anyone help me find where the list of past servers is stored?

Some of these machines don't exist anymore, and their presence in the choices is unnecessary and confusing for some users, so I need to remove them from those available as (active) remote servers.

Al Squassabia

Jun 2, 2023, 3:49:37 PM6/2/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
I've received a private email (so I suppose I should not re-post identifying information) suggesting I search the registry for the names of the remote hosts.  Indeed I found the entry

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TigerVNC\vncviewer\history

Thank you for the hint.  As a minor observation, perhaps the history could be stored under <user>\AppData\... instead -- IMHO using the (global) registry seems promiscuous (Windows is a multi-user OS).  Let me say that TigerVNC is a great application, my appreciation to the developers.

Pierre Ossman

Jun 7, 2023, 1:25:27 AM6/7/23
to Al Squassabia, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 02/06/2023 21:49, Al Squassabia wrote:
> I've received a private email (so I suppose I should not re-post
> identifying information) suggesting I search the registry for the names of
> the remote hosts. Indeed I found the entry
>
> Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TigerVNC\vncviewer\history
>
> Thank you for the hint. As a minor observation, perhaps the history could
> be stored under <user>\AppData\... instead -- IMHO using the (global)
> registry seems promiscuous (Windows is a multi-user OS). Let me say that
> TigerVNC is a great application, my appreciation to the developers.

That part of the registry is unique to each user, so it is in fact the
standard place to store user configuration.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB http://cendio.com