vnc cannot disable the shadow of the border

joo hui

Nov 8, 2020, 10:12:24 AM11/8/20
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
In versions after tigervnc server 1.1.0, vnc cannot disable the shadow of the border, and the effect will also have obvious lag

Pierre Ossman

Nov 10, 2020, 7:45:37 AM11/10/20
to joo hui, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 08/11/2020 16:12, joo hui wrote:
> In versions after tigervnc server 1.1.0, vnc cannot disable the shadow of
> the border, and the effect will also have obvious lag

We don't have any shadows in TigerVNC. It sounds like something from the
operating system on the client or the server.

What did you do to disable them before?

And could you share a screen shot so we better understand what shadows
you mean?

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

joo hui

Aug 5, 2021, 10:50:36 AM8/5/21
to Pierre Ossman, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
I'm sorry that it took so long to see the mail. I have tried to install tigervnc version below 1.1.0 on centos7, no matter in the gnome or mate desktop environment, the graphics border will not produce shadows, but the shadows will appear after version 1.1.0. And the interface fluency of versions below 1.1.0 is also much better, but the automatic adaptation of the resolution will be a bit problematic.

微信截图_20210805224212.png

Pierre Ossman <oss...@cendio.com> 于2020年11月10日周二 下午8:45写道:

Pierre Ossman

Aug 13, 2021, 8:35:08 AM8/13/21
On 8/5/21 4:50 PM, joo hui wrote:
> I'm sorry that it took so long to see the mail. I have tried to install
> tigervnc version below 1.1.0 on centos7, no matter in the gnome or mate
> desktop environment, the graphics border will not produce shadows, but the
> shadows will appear after version 1.1.0. And the interface fluency of
> versions below 1.1.0 is also much better, but the automatic adaptation of
> the resolution will be a bit problematic.

Those shadows are generated by your desktop environment, and
unfortunately don't really have anything to do with TigerVNC. I don't
know why your older TigerVNC behaves differently. It could be that it
lacks the "Composite" extension for some reason, which is something that
is needed by the desktops to do that shadow effect. However, as far as I
know GNOME completely refuses to start without Composite support.

And yes, those shadows require a lot more CPU power to render so the
interface will be more sluggish. You can disable them in MATE under the
window manager settings. However GNOME is OpenGL based and so will
always be slow when running via VNC (where it cannot use a GPU for
rendering).