Vncviewer messing with server settings

Luveh Keraph

Jan 25, 2023, 5:57:21 PM1/25/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
I have a system running X windows with x11vnc launched as x11vnc -shared -forever -nap -bg -auth /home/xyz/.serverauth.1959. I sometimes connect to this system by means of vncviewer. Two things seem to happen in this system when I do this:

1. The key repeat setting ends up becoming disabled.
2. DPMS ends up becoming disabled.

Both the key repeat and DPMS features are enabled before the vncviewer connection is launched.

It is easy enough to enable those two features again, but I wonder whether somebody in this forum might know why they get  disabled in the first place? I mean, this very clearly happens after the vncviewer session has been established (I am not sure whether it happens at this point, or when the session terminates) and never under any other circumstances, as far as I can tell.

Pierre Ossman

Jan 26, 2023, 3:07:23 AM1/26/23
to Luveh Keraph, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Since this is about x11vnc, the TigerVNC community is probably not the
best place to get good answers. :)

But I would guess that 1 is to avoid incorrect key repeats from the VNC
client caused by network delays, and 2 is to avoid blanking the screen
and breaking screen updates for x11vnc.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development