Is there a way to start TigerVNC from a systemd service on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

Yuri Kanivetsky

Apr 6, 2022, 9:09:14 PM4/6/22
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Ubuntu 20.04 comes with TigerVNC 1.10.1:

Systemd files appear in TigerVNC 1.10.90:

The HOWTO says:

> Therefore, the implementation had to be changed to comply with SELinux and systemd rules.

What are the systemd rules? Is there a way to create a systemd file that starts TigerVNC? I had no luck so far.

To have something to discuss:

```
[Unit]
Description=TigerVNC Service

[Service]
Type=forking
User=yuri
ExecStart=/usr/bin/tigervncserver -localhost no

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
```

Pierre Ossman

Apr 12, 2022, 9:56:58 AM4/12/22
to Yuri Kanivetsky, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 07/04/2022 03:09, Yuri Kanivetsky wrote:

> What are the systemd rules? Is there a way to create a systemd file that
> starts TigerVNC? I had no luck so far.

I'm afraid it's more than just a unit file. You also need to interact
with PAM for things to be set up correctly. So there are new binaries
and PAM configuration as well.

The easiest way forward is to use an updated version. I would suggest
poking Ubuntu about updating what they include in their repos.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com