Stabilize connection quality? Overhead for connection quality switching?

Scott Willis

Dec 30, 2021, 12:45:22 PM12/30/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Is there a way of stabilizing the connection quality setting?

What is the overhead when the connection quality switches, is there a negotiation phase or just the next packet is sent?

Working remotely via VPN, I have observed occasional network behavior of alternating 2 seconds of immediate response with 2 seconds paused.   What I see on the console shows multiple switches in quality, for example:

Thu Dec 30 09:17:22 2021
 CConn:       Throughput 15901 kbit/s - changing to quality 6

Thu Dec 30 09:17:23 2021   <-- 1 second later
 CConn:       Using Tight encoding

Thu Dec 30 09:17:24 2021   <-- 1 second later
 CConn:       Throughput 16305 kbit/s - changing to quality 8

Thu Dec 30 09:17:25 2021   <-- 1 second later
 CConn:       Using Tight encoding

Wondering what the side-effects are of the quality switching.
Thanks!

Pierre Ossman

Dec 30, 2021, 12:51:47 PM12/30/21
to Scott Willis, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 12/30/21 18:45, Scott Willis wrote:

> Wondering what the side-effects are of the quality switching.
> Thanks!

Ideally there should be almost none, unless the server is doing
something odd. What happens is that we send a small packet indicating
the new desired quality level. The server should then use that new
setting for future updates. But it shouldn't send anything extra that it
otherwise wouldn't have.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development