Re: [tigervnc-users] Abridged summary of tigervnc-users@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Peter Hemmings

Aug 5, 2021, 12:30:53 PM8/5/21
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Apoogies I have not had the time to get back to the problem but should
have posted an update!

On 05/08/2021 07:07, tigervn...@googlegroups.com wrote:
> Today's topic summary
>
> Group: tigervn...@googlegroups.com
>

> - Enabling Tigervnc Causes Fedora 34 to Hang [1 Update]
> http://groups.google.com/group/tigervnc-users/t/312583ccd9b21d48

> Topic: Enabling Tigervnc Causes Fedora 34 to Hang
>
> ---------- 1 of 1 ----------
> From: Pierre Ossman <oss...@cendio.se>
> Date: Aug 04 11:34AM +0200
>
> On 7/29/21 12:50 AM, Peter Hemmings wrote:
>> Can someone suggest why this is happening and how to stop ir hanging the
>> desktop?
>
> Are you using the same user for your VNC session and your local

Yes, I had found this question on another list but not yet created a
"VNC User" to confirm it would work!

I assume you cannot run it with a normal user bebut am not sure why,
is it because of the display allocation?

Thanks

> --
> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/tigervnc-users/join
> .

Regards

--
Peter H

Pierre Ossman

Aug 13, 2021, 8:31:17 AM8/13/21
to Peter Hemmings, tigervn...@googlegroups.com
On 8/5/21 6:30 PM, Peter Hemmings wrote:

>> Are you using the same user for your VNC session and your local
>>

> Yes, I had found this question on another list but not yet created a
> "VNC User" to confirm it would work!
>
> I assume you  cannot run it with a normal user bebut am not sure why, is
> it because of the display allocation?

No, the displays are from a more ancient era and are fully independent.
It is more modern things like D-Bus and systemd that now only have a
single instance per user. You can also see this effect in some older
things, e.g. Firefox which has always only allowed a single instance per
profile.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Peter Hemmings

Aug 14, 2021, 4:09:12 AM8/14/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hi,
Before having another try to get Tigervnc  configured I need to understand if I can configure it to use locally to see my PC's desktop from my laptop on the local lan.
I have set up myself as a user (peter) on both boxes (Fedora 34).  I have now set up a vncuser (myvnc) on the PC.
If I use the laptop,  log in as "peter" and try to log in to the server with user myvnc user and password should I be to see any user's desktop assuming I am logged into the PC as peter on even another user!?

If the above should work I will try again,  if I have still got some "basic" error(s) I would appreciate a pointer to relevant info or corrections to the above.

Thanks for your time and apologies for these rather basic questions.

Peter H