Session unusable because of "authentication is required" pop-ups

Mathieu Peltier

Mar 2, 2023, 7:53:44 AM3/2/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hello,
I am using gnome (3.38) on debian 11 and would like to provide vnc access under xfce (4.16) using tigervnc (1.11.0).

My setup:

 # cat /etc/tigervnc/vncserver-config-mandatory
  $localhost = "yes";
  $PAMService = "login";
  $SecurityTypes = "TLSPlain";
  $PlainUsers = "username";
  $listen = "tcp";

 # cat /etc/tigervnc/tigervnc.users
  :2=username

 # cat ~username/.vnc/xstartup
  #!/bin/sh
  # Without the following line, gnome applications (eg gnome-terminal)
  # launched from xfce are opening on the wrong display on gnome
  export $(dbus-launch)
  /usr/bin/startxfce4

 # cat /etc/systemd/system/customtigervncserver@.service
  # Copy paste from /lib/systemd/system/tigervncserver@.service

  [Unit]
  Description=Remote desktop service (VNC)
  # autofs is required because /home is automounted
  # sssd is required (ldap authentication)
  # vnc does not seem to work if gdm is not started first
  After=network.target gdm.service sssd.service autofs.service

  [Service]
  Type=forking
  ExecStart=/usr/libexec/tigervncsession-start %i
  PIDFile=/run/tigervncsession-%i.pid
  SELinuxContext=system_u:system_r:vnc_session_t:s0

  [Install]
  WantedBy=multi-user.target

 # systemctl enable --now customtigervncserver@:2.service

The problem is that I get then the following various nasty popups *both* with gnome and xfce sessions:

  Authentication is required to create colored profile
  Authentication is require to refresh system repositories
  Authentication is required to reboot

I have read lots of threads on this issue (which seems to occur with other vnc servers) and I have modified polkit configuration like this:

 # cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/45-tigervnc-gnome3.pkla
  [workaround1]
  Identity=unix-user:*
  Action=org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile;org.debian.pcsc-lite.access_pcsc;org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh
  ResultAny=no
  ResultInactive=no
  ResultActive=yes

  [workaround2]
  Identity=unix-user:*
  Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks2.eject-media
  ResultAny=yes
  ResultInactive=yes
  ResultActive=yes

This seems to workaround the problem but I am not sure to cover all cases. Do you have the same problem? Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu

DRC

Mar 2, 2023, 11:40:02 AM3/2/23
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com

Here is what we do in TurboVNC:

https://github.com/TurboVNC/turbovnc/blob/75af4e4688c0328f262182f7b8b7cca5ce74e4b0/release/makedpkg.in#L89-L95

Our PKLA file has been tested across a wide variety of distros and WMs (https://turbovnc.org/Documentation/Compatibility30), and as far as I can tell, it eliminates all dialogs of this type in the tested configurations.

DRC

Message has been deleted

Mathieu Peltier

Mar 3, 2023, 4:14:20 AM3/3/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I think I had already seen this link and used it for my workaround1! What is strange is that I get these pop-ups also on non vnc session (gnome). Other people seem to say that they occur only on the vnc session.

In my previous message, I forget this workaround:
  [workaround3]
  Identity=unix-user:*
  Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot
  ResultAny=yes
  ResultInactive=yes
  ResultActive=yes

Without this, I get "Authentication is required to reboot the system" message when I try to restart the machine on gnome session.
Mathieu

william seo

May 1, 2023, 7:30:05 AM5/1/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support

Hi!

How are you?

How is everything going?  Hope all is well!

We have skills to boost your website personal blogs. We are providing strong back-links that can Increase Your Website Traffic as well as Your Website/Blog Ranking over Search Engines.

1)- Posting in Time

2)- Will offer discount on Bulk Orders

3)- Your post will fall into the correct category as I have a huge inventory of Sites.

4-) Permanent Guest Post

Websites URLs SEMrush Traffic US Traffic Monthly Visit

https://leedaily.com                            89.7K                48.65%       183.2K

https://landscapeinsight.com        28.5K              24.31%     141.6K

https://gossipsdiary.com               27.2K              41.56%     143.4K

https://startup.info                         22.7K              25.64%     331.5K

https://www.techstry.net               19.5K               29.75%     67.4K

https://www.techfollows.com        16.1K               23.87%     280.3K

https://expressdigest.com            7.59K               29.94%     181.1K

https://geekymint.com                  6.65K               23.64%      397.9K

https://stanfordartsreview.com     2.71K               43.78%      39.6K

https://techbullion.com                 53.5K               29.31%      452.3K

I want to work with you. Give me one chance to work with you.

Kind Regards