TigerVNC 1.11 from macOS 11 to TigerVNC Server 1.11 on Fedora 33

Tom Spettigue

Jul 2, 2021, 9:16:35 PM7/2/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hi all -

I've been trying to set up VNC connectivity from all my computers to my work computer, running Fedora 33. Ideally, I'd like this to work similar to how it does on Windows - where I can jump right into the graphical session I left my computer on at work. I haven't really tried anything from my Windows desktop yet, but at the moment I'm trying to get it to run from my Mac, since they ostensibly run the "same" software - TigerVNC 1.11 for both the Mac VNC client, and for the Fedora 33 VNC server.

I feel like I've followed a bunch of guides - I'm familiar with the /etc/tigervnc/vncserver.users file, as well as the $HOME/.vnc/config file, but it seems like my issue is with even getting the service started. I suppose, ideally, I'd like the service to run in a privileged way, so that it's all loaded up and started before a user logs in - but really even a post-login, userspace implementation would work for me, since I have SSH access (which works fine).

But, at the moment, all I'm getting is "No matching security types".

To further confound me, Fedora COMES with a little script wrapper called vncserver that lets me work with it, but I don't know when I'm dealing with the TigerVNC I installed or the VNC tools that came preinstalled in Fedora. How do I properly set up a VNC server on Fedora?

Pierre Ossman

Jul 5, 2021, 5:19:00 AM7/5/21
to Tom Spettigue, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Unfortunately the Linux graphics stack does not support the same
functionality as Windows', where you can seamlessly move a session
between the local display and remote access. So I'm afraid you'll have
to settle for some compromise.

The guide you've found is for setting up strictly remote sessions which
can only be reached via VNC (not locally). You should also avoid logging
in locally when using these as multiple sessions as the same user is not
generally supported.

If you want to reach your local session you need to configure a scraping
VNC server, such as our x0vncserver, vino or x11vnc. You can also
configure our vnc module in your Xorg configuration which is a bit more
efficient. Note that all of these assume an X11 session. Wayland does
not support these options. These also assume you're logged in locally as
they will generally not handle the login screen. And they will not
protect your machine from anyone being physically at your machine whilst
you are connected remotely, so physical security is a must.

As for the error message, that means some misconfiguration between your
server and client. Could you check what authentication settings you have
in your client?

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development