Cannot change default geometry in x0vncserver

Sia Sjung

Feb 13, 2023, 8:38:10 AM2/13/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
I run x0vncserver on OrangePi5, while the lightdm manager is working. Work fine (over ssh tunnel) but I cannot change the default resolution 1024x768

# x0vncserver -Geometry 1920x1080+0+0 -display :0

I found (and change) also the XWindow manager configuration: (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf):
[VNCServer]
width=1920
height=1080

Nonetheless, the log file ($HOME/.vnc/host:5900.log) shows:Mon Feb 13 14:22:53 2023
 Geometry:    Desktop geometry is set to 1024x768+0+0
 XDesktop:    Using evdev codemap
 XDesktop:
 XDesktop:    XTest extension present - version 2.2
 Main:        Listening on port 5900
3NI3X0 New X0tigervnc server 'orangepi5:0 (orangepi)' on port 5900 for display :0.
3NI3X0 Use xtigervncviewer -SecurityTypes VncAuth -passwd /home/orangepi/.vnc/passwd :0 to connect to the VNC server.

Pierre Ossman

Feb 14, 2023, 3:23:29 AM2/14/23
to Sia Sjung, TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
On 2/13/23 14:38, Sia Sjung wrote:
> I run x0vncserver on OrangePi5, while the lightdm manager is working. Work
> fine (over ssh tunnel) but I cannot change the default resolution 1024x768
>
> # x0vncserver -Geometry 1920x1080+0+0 -display :0

There might be a misunderstanding of what -geometry does here. It tells
x0vncserver which part of the screen it should make available over VNC.
It doesn't actually change any monitor settings. So if the display isn't
larger than 1024x768, then that is all it can show.

You need to change the screen resolution using your normal tools. I'm
afraid I don't know how that is done with lightdm, but I would suspect
it just uses whatever is the default for the X server. So you'll need to
change your Xorg configuration.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Artur Lozinski

Feb 16, 2023, 1:29:07 AM2/16/23
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Hi,

Thanks for explataton.

Try to change the lightdm configuration, not working in the easy way. Thus, I decide to stop lightdm and use vncserver instead (I do not need both monitor and headless configuration). Works perfectly.